FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feeling co dependent

Strong100
Community Member

I know it's great to take the support of friends but the more anxious I get, the more I feel the urge to contact a friend every time by panic feeling or loneliness feelings intensify. How to take the support of good friends without exhausting them?

4 Replies 4

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hello, well this can be a difficult situation, because if you keep on contacting this particular person everytime you feel anxiety or being alone then the chances are that they will disappear out of sight, this isn't really your fault because people want to feel at ease and comfortable by being with someone, but some people don't have the patience to listen and try to cope with your situation, they can take a little bit but not all the time.
This is where you could ring the BB phone number and talk to people who can handle and talk to you about what is going on. Geoff

Lazykh
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey Strong100,

Just thinking it might be good to see a GP about the panic feelings if you experience them more often than you want to... There are lots of medications out that you can take for panic attacks, you don't have to take them all every day, just when you need them, and they kick in in about 45 minutes - in which time you can call Beyondblue where someone can talk to you until you start feeling better! Seriously, once you get the right medication, you'll feel like you don't even know yourself. My experience with anxiety in myself and others is that nobody realises how high their anxiety is until it goes away... It's *awesome* when it does, you can sleep, think clearly, etc etc. Your GP can also sign you up to a mental health plan if you want some free counselling- in my state (SA), you can get 10 sessions with a psychologist either free or very subsidised... might be of interest so ask what you can get in your state in case its different.

Good luck with it , hope you have a panic-free weekend. 🙂

Lazykh.

Strong100
Community Member
Thanks Lazykh. I'm yet to find the right medication but I'm thinking about giving that another try.

Lazykh
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey Strong100,

There are so many of them out there, keep trying, you'll get one. :)))