FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

family

Fezzeh
Community Member

Family has been a big problem for me. I am the only girl in the family which is a challenge. I can't go out, go study or anything. I always expect to be perfect and amazing. I just want to be myself and be who i want to be. I just want to be free and go out like a normal person. I can't go to the library to study or anything. I always been compare with other girls in my life, "oh be more like her". I'm trying my best to be mentally okay but i can't when i expect to be perfect. 

1 Reply 1

Juliet_84
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Fezzeh,

Unfortunately for you it sounds like your family (I assume parents?) have some outdated ideas about females and their roles. In some cultures and families, the father can see it as his role to “protect his daughter”, but sadly this is open to interpretation and abuse. For example, what threat does going to the library realistically pose to you? I would say minimal. I imagine the threat they see is if you meet a boy - but how are you supposed to marry the person who is right for you if you can’t date? Sadly I had a friend who’s parents were like this growing up and she ended up marrying the first man she met so that she could get her out of there. The problem with that is that they are often not right for you and may even mistreat you. How do you change this situation? It’s very difficult. You will essentially need to wait for the right time and assert your authority. This is easiest done when you have a full-time job and this have a steady financial income which means you can move out by yourself or with a girlfriend. You may experience quite a bit of blow back from your parents over this because they have gotten used to having you under their control and so this will be very confronting for them but it’s clear you can’t keep living like this.