FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Family relationships

MummaPetal
Community Member

Hi all,

My partner and I separated earlier this year after 10+ years of being together.

I have just only recently found out that my sister-n-law (on my side of the family) is keeping in regular contact with my ex's mother. My ex's parents have not even spoken to me since the break up.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I feel upset but I am not sure if I should be. I'm not the sort of person to stop any friendship but at the same time it's weird how my ex's parents have not made contact with me and yet still speak to some of my family. It's sort of weird in a way. I didn't have a good relationship with his parents, despite many efforts on my part to make it more harmonious.

Can anyone share their ex-inlaws experience?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

HappyHelper88
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello MummaPetal, thankyou for your post and welcome

Im so sorry to hear about your separation it must be tough.
I have had a similar issue in my family with someone keeping in contact with a person who is an ex to the family
I was upset and so were others in the family as it felt like a betrayal, you are allowed to be upset
I do agree that it can feel strange

Have you thought about speaking to your sister in law about this?

All the best and I hope you find the support you are looking for. We are all here to help.

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Mummapetal

I thanks for your post.

I know of families where the in laws s have ;cut contact with their own child and kept contact with their in law, where the mother in law refused to call her daughter In law ex and they met regularly until the end of her life, and a few cases like your when one member keeps in contact with ex in laws.

I can see it would hurt you, can you talk to this person. I know the son whose own parents preferred contact with his ex wife was upset but he knew that was so they could keep contact with their grandchild.

After my marriage ended, I wanted to keep contact with children’s Aunts and uncles for my children’s sake. My ex thought that strange as he didn’t talk much to his siblings.

It is complicated.