FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

family issues

JulieS101
Community Member

i am feeling so extremely depressed and anxious about both of my parents. I worry about them so much and I always try to make them feel better. I think this has ultimately made them want to distance themselves from me as i am “crazy” and “obsessive” which I understand. I just don’t know why i care and worry about my family so much. people tell me to let go and enjoy my life and i try but the worrying does not stop. i always think something terrible will happen to either parent and i have had this feat since i was little but it has evolved as i have gotten older and gotten worse. i sometimes want to move out to start a new independent life but then i think about who will take care of my parents ( even though they don’t need anyone to take care of them!) my family has been having issues lately so this has only worsened my worry. does anyone have the same issues of continual worrying about loved ones even though nothing may be wrong or when something does go wrong the worrying turns into extensive depression and anxiety

5 Replies 5

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Juliesmith, and a warm welcome to the site.

It's lovely to be concerned about your parents, especially as we get older in life, unfortunately, this is unavoidable and we never believe it will ever happen, but it does as the years pass us so quickly.

If I could ask you to type this in your browser or the search bar at the top of this page 'intrusive thoughts', then different remarks from many people may explain what you may be suffering from, as I'm not a doctor I can't diagnose you, but a doctor will be able to do this for you, but I don't want you to worry about this as I too have OCD and had these type of thoughts many times.

As I've had this condition for about 60 years I know that these thoughts don't actually come true, but this doesn't stop us from having them and it's so difficult trying to explain to someone else what we are thinking about and our reasons why, because they don't believe us, but we still have them.

I understand what you have said, so if you could read a few comments made by different people then this may help you, and please come back and ask any questions you like, many of us will be able to answer them for you.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

JulieS101
Community Member
Hello Geoff, Yes I have researched intrusive thoughts and the connection to OCD but i will look further into it and bring it up with my psychologist next time I see him. Thank you for your advice and understanding

Sophia16
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hu JulieSmith,

It is amazing that you care so much about your parents. However, you have to have faith in them. Life is full of ups and downs. It is temporary and we just have to try and live it because we will never ever know what is going to happen next.

Speaking to your psychologist seems like a really good idea. I hope that everything goes well.

I hope you are staying safe and I am here to chat if you need me

Thank you x

Hello Juliesmith, when you see your psychologist it might feel rather frightening to mention these thoughts to them, so can you write them down on some paper, then pass it over, they would have encountered this before and it gives them a chance to know what you are thinking because telling them may not be pleasant, but they need to know so they can understand what you're struggling with.

Geoff.