FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Emotionally numb to partner help

Sadistic_Cat_434
Community Member
So 2 days ago now i wrote up feeling fuzzy and off so i thought it was just a bad day. But once it became night time my feelings towards my boyfriend of 3 yrs had completely switched off. I can look at him and not feel the warmth i used to or the giddy sparks that i once had when he kisses or hugs me. I feel like my relqtionship os over when i dont want it to be but i am afraid i wont be able to fix this and that i wont be emotionally invested only mentally. I have always felt love towards him but now its like everything is gone. I am also feeling numb towards music or art which i genuinely enjoy and love. Could this be my mental health or something else
4 Replies 4

Tay100
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Sadistic Cat 434

I'm sorry to hear you are feeling detached and numb to your partners and hobbies you usually find fun. Is there anything you can think of that might of caused this? Maybe your partner might have some thoughts on what's happening? Feeling sad every now and again is ok- not every day or week is perfect. If it persists, maybe you could contact Beyond Blue for some structured guidance: The Beyond Blue Support Service provides advice and support via telephone 24/7 (just call 1300 22 4636), daily web chat (between 3pm–12am) and email (with a response provided within 24 hours). Let us know what your thoughts are- we are here to listen.

Tay100

SarahZ
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi there Sadistic Cat 434,

Thank you for reaching out. I’m really sorry to hear that you have been feeling emotionally detached and numb towards your partner and your love for music and art. I can’t imagine how isolating and confusing this must feel for you. Has something happened recently to trigger this? Potentially a comment by someone, a social event, or something you read? Alternatively, I know sometimes I have weeks where I get feelings of numbness, which often occurs when I’m stressed about something. Potentially you might be experiencing a hormonal imbalance if you are feeling stressed about something?

As Tay100 recommended, it might be helpful seeking some professional support if these feelings persist. Please give an update whenever you feel up to it! These forums are always here to listen and support you without judgement.

Wishing you the very best ~

Guest_3256
Community Member

Good afternoon and welcome.

"I can look at him and not feel the warmth I used to or the giddy sparks that i once had when he kisses or hugs me."

This is one of the most common feelings to experiencing and you are defiantly not alone. This is the time where couples can stop, pause, reflect and appreciate all the good things about their partner into look at their flaws and accept them for who they are.

This can also be a time where couples no longer want to continue their journey with each other and look for other options or it will bring them closer and that's what you want.

I think you are very brave for coming here for support and it shows that you do care for your partner and looking for support on how to approach the situation. Maybe change something or re-invent your relationship dynamic. Make it the best and most happiest relationship that you want.

Tay100
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Sadistic Cat 434

Just thought I'd check-in and see how things were between you and partner? Have you told him how you feel? Maybe sought some structured help? Let us know you are travelling if you like.

Tay100