FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

depression and why is it 'all about me?'

MAX185
Community Member
My wife and i are arguing constantly about how everything is all about the way I describe what happens to 'ME' in our daily activities. She says everything is just about me when in conversation with her. I have epilepsy and the medication takes it's toll. I have sought help from several men's health groups after a very violent outburst involving a misread situation on my part. I am trying not to let my medication be the 'reason' for this over reaction but in looking for answers to it I have discovered I may be suffering from depression and after reading several articles I have been seeing things written in those that provided realisation that I may have a problem. Two days after the outburst I contemplated suicide because I couldn't see a way back to her. My teenage daughter and two sons have also been affected by my action that night. I was arrested and cannot see them now for legal reasons. I am ashamed of my actions but her and my daughter's understanding of my condition,which has come to light after this crisis,are not being taken seriously enough in my view. I have never asked for any type of help in my life previous to this,so I feel lost and alone. She has criticised me for suggesting depression as part of the situation we find ourselves in as a family at this time.I love her and my children deeply and would do anything to regain their trust and respect.
6 Replies 6

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Max185~

Welcome here to the Forum. I can well imagine that a combination of the problems with epilepsy and side effects of the medication you need to control it do take up an awfully large part of one's life.

I do think that having a "very violent outburst" would seem to mean that you can get very angry. And the fact that you were arrested points to the seriousness of the matter. Added to that a legal inability to approach your family at the moment.

{Plus you think there is a possibility of depression)

So you have a fair number of problems you face.

I guess you need to tackle each of those problems directly. First talking with your prescribing doctor about the side effects of your meds and being tested for depression might be a good start, and while you are there an account of your anger and how it has led to trouble with the police which in turn lead to those suicidal thoughts.

Anger management is a something that requires help and I'd suggest yo get your doctor to advise you on the best person to see about it.

Once you have started down htat track I guess you need to sort out the legal problems. As you have not mentioned more about them there's not much one can say except if they are based on your past behavior then getting the medical side of thngs under control may help you face these more calmly and cope better.

There seems rift in your family with you, and maybe that can be looked at next

Do you think this is a reasonable way to start?

Croix

Baran
Community Member

Hello,

happy to find somewhere to talk. Loneliness is the biggest problem I’m dealing with. Actually I moved to Australia 8 years ago and have a child here. I always feel alone even when I’m with my hubby. I feel he is not engaged with us and see himself separately.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Baran

Welcome to the Forum, I'm sorry you feel lonely and isolated from your husband, something that really does need to be remedied and something many will relate to..

Look, I'm afraid you are posting in the wrong thread. While you could continue posting right here it would not be the most effective thing to do. People look at the titles of the threads and go for the ones that best describe their own problems.

Therefor can I suggest you start your own thread please? It's quite easy and if you are unsure how to do it then Sophie_M has placed a pictorial guide here:

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/welcome-and-orientation/the-forum-faq-thread...

Any troubles sing out

Croix

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Baran

welcome to the forum and well done for making your first post.

It is difficult in a new country with a child and feeling lonely with your husband.

I was going to suggest starting your own thread too and then saw Croix had just posted that.

I will look out for you own thread . As Croix says reach out if you need help.

Thanks a lot for your reply ☺️

Baran
Community Member

Hi Croix,

thanks for your reply and guiding me to the right direction, I’m very bigger in the from😊