FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Defeated and broken

Andrew82
Community Member

So my wife has bipolar and not recently diagnosed ptsd , from something that happened to her when she was 5 , for the last 3 months was in hospital trying to get better , she was discharged but not fixed or better , and now after 10 years of marriage has decided she can’t have a male in her life and has taken my daughter and said we have to get divorced, I am absolutely gutted and have no fight left in me , after months of going to visit her in hospital and taking in my daughter for visits and looking after my daughter on my own I have now lost both the most important people in my life not to anything I did but to her condition, she has stated that there is no hope for a happy ending as she has now signed up for ndis and can’t walk outside alone in fear , I don’t blame her at all but I’m so lost and feel like I have nothing left to fight for or to keep going , can’t stop crying , any advice at this point would be much appreciated sorry for a long story 

1 Reply 1

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Andrew, welcome

I know exactly how you feel in different circumstances. In your case I must thank you for not "blaming her" as mental health issues are complex and can override any sacrifices made by someones partner. 

I suggest you visit a family solicitor, first visit is usually free. I'm unaware of your daughters age but in any case you have to protect yourself. If there is a way of communicating to your wife to suggest to her that she can make her own decisions with your marriage but you are entitled to visitations with your daughter. You are also entitled to apply for custody etc depending upon the situation.

Distraction is your friend at this time. Allow periods for grief of loss but stand up and get back into life, hobbies, sports, friends and so on. We call it "taking care of ourselves". 

Write? As a poet I do a lot of it, it does help me.

Your value? At the moment you might be doubting you have value, I suggest you not lose sight of how valuable you are as a father and you might end up like me years after separation I walked my eldest down the aisle. I asked myself- "who would have done that had I not made it"?

You are facing several weeks of pain but it does get better. 

IMO you have a good prospect with visits to your daughter and more so. A solicitor is the way to go. Any communication with your wife I suggest should remain as a friend, so the situation has the best chance of allowing your relationship with your daughter to exist with the least damage possible.

We are here, we listen and I'm glad you posted. 

TonyWK