FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Dealing With Someone Elses Depression As Well As Dealing With Your Own

Rob3
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

It's been almost a month since my first post, and things have seen have to taken somewhat a backwards step. I have recently moved house with and I have gone back to living my mother, who also suffering with a more severe mental illness.

It is taking a massive toll on me, all my hopes and aspirations have seem to have taken a back seat and life seems to be passing me by.

When she gets something in her head and makes a mountain out of a molehill, it just gets me fired up because I've got enough on my plate as it is. I just get fed up so quickly. Something I've been been keeping lid on it, and I feel I''m regressing

2 Replies 2

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi RobConn

Welcome again to the Forums..my name is Paul...

I have just gone through the same sad situation. I do understand and feel for you RobConn. Having your own depression is difficult enough as it is to work through without taking on such a huge and mentally draining task.

I commend you for looking after your mum and having the kind heart to do so. I had to stop looking after my mum recently as she has dementia and some paranoia with it. My depression took a nose dive just like yours.

Having depression we are both trying to heal and actually living with your mum will have an adverse effect on your ability to heal. You would be doing it hard living with her.

Is there anywhere else you can live? I am fortunate as I live 1 klm away from my mum and now am looking after myself instead of the soul destroying daily visits to 'help' her. My sister has taken over so I can recover.

If you have no where else to live it will be a problem RobConn. Are you there during the day? Or just nights?

We are here for you.

Paul

Ishtar
Community Member

Dear Rob3,

Didn't see your first post but I see that your situation must have taken a retrograde step in moving back in with your mum, as her support. My advice to you is to get yourself sorted first. If you are able to get yourself into a situation/head space where you are in control and happy with your life, then you will be in a better position to deal with mum...and everything else!