FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Daughter moving overseas. will miss her & struggle with process of her leaving

Elizabeth CP
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

My daughter has just decided to accept a job offer OS. She usually visits on weekends (she lives 3hrs away) I already have a son living OS & another one has said he will move next year if he is offered a good enough job. I am happy for my daughter & hoping she has a good experience but this doesn't stop me worrying about missing her. My other concern is needing to help her by storing her belongings including furniture. I don't have a lot of room & my husband is blind so I need things kept in place so he can cope. I struggle if things are too cluttered as I can't find things & feel out of control.

Has anyone else dealt with this or have any suggestions to help me

4 Replies 4

BballJ
Community Member

Hi Elizabeth CP,

I think one of the ways to look at this is how positive of an experience this will be for your daughter, of course you will miss her but I feel if you keep reminding yourself of how good this is for her and her life then hopefully that will help you cope. In regards to the clutter and storing her furniture at your house, is there any section of the house you can put it, maybe a section of the garage? Somewhere that will be almost hidden so you don't see it everyday. I hate clutter as well so I know the feeling.

I am sorry, I haven't dealt with this exact situation before but wanted to reach out with my support. Just keep telling yourself it is a positive thing for your kids. This is what helps them grow.

My best for you and your family,

Jay

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hello Elizabeth CP, it is sad when a daughter/son decide to move away, both my sons where one is about 2 hours away, while the other is about 9 hours away, and now in my condition I'm limited to how long I can drive and if their living quarters are suitable for me, but to be o/s is different.
There are now a few ways to keep to stay in contact with her, skype, voicemail, I think it's called, and any of the IT wiz kids may have other ideas to look at doing.
Storing her furniture is another issue you will have to contend with, but there are rental sheds which can be hired through the real estate for a nominal price, which would that you wouldn't have to cater for at home. Geoff.

Elizabeth CP
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I am trying to focus on the positive including the great experience she will have. I already have a son in the UK & use skype to speak to him but it isn't the same as seeing her in person.

As for storage I have a very small bedroom & small study which are already full. My garage & shed are not suitable as they can get damp & we have had problems with rats in the past. My daughter owns her own house & will be renting it while OS. Unfortunately the pay in UK is lower than here so paying off the mortgage will be tight leaving no spare money for paid storage. She plans to come back once she has gained some more experience to get a better job back in Melbourne.

I know I could refuse to store her stuff but I would feel really guilty.

Hi Elizabeth CP,

Is there a chance she can store it in her house, in a garage or shed she may have, maybe the tenants won't mind.. alternatively maybe a storage facility may be the next option, I know they are expensive but you all need to be comfortable with the solution.

My best,

Jay