FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Dating with depression - to reveal or not reveal?

MisterM
Community Member

I just stumbled upon a news article and it is something that has been on my mind for a while.

I have no online dating profile but wouldn't know how to go about this.
If I keep it secret from any future date and then tell her it's like I've been untruthful.
How do you people go about this? Do you tell your dates your depression history?

2 Replies 2

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Mister M,

I personally don't think it is necessary to tell a potential date that you have depression. If a person was to ask me, then yes, I would say I suffer from depression. I don't think I would go back through my mental health issues and history though.

If you were dating a person and they noticed a negative change and asked if it was depression, then yes, and explanation would help them understand the situation better.

A time may come in a relationship where depression becomes a big issue, a hindrance and a burden. Hopefully people in these situations will be able to talk about the issues and concerns before they become too serious.

How do you feel about this Mister M? If you did have a dating profile, would you include depression on it?

I think I would be a little daunted if I was to meet a person who says something like, "Hi. My name is Z and I have depression. I was first diagnosed when I was 15, have had many medications since, been to a few different Drs. etc etc.

I would be focusing on the illness and not on the person.

Anyone else have any ideas on this?

Cheers all from Mrs. Dools

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi everyone, we have a number of threads on this already, so we're going to close this one off. Feel free to participate in any of the discussions below:

Should I date while depressed?

Depression and dating

Attempting to date while depressed