FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Controlling parents

Fashion_Dash
Community Member
I'm currently 16 and my parents are controlling me. My dad in particular dosent let me walk out the house wearing shorts, crop tops or anything revealing.i can't go to parties or have a boyfriend. I just wanna move out. How do I deal with this?
4 Replies 4

kanga_brumby
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

dear fashion dash welcome to beyond blue. I may not agree with all your farther is saying or doing. But give him some credit he wants you too look your best when you go out. Not cheep and nasty. Possibility falling pregnant at a very young age when you have had one or two children 24 / 7 you cannot hand them back to the hospital the bloke could do a runner leaving you with the financial burden and a huge work load. give him time

kanga

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Fashion.Dash

Kanga_Brumby has made a good point above that some dads have an issue with their daughters clothing. I actually trust my daughter when she dresses up to go out. I dont agree with your dads thoughts on this

It may be a pain for you yet if he didnt care he wouldnt be saying anything about what you are wearing...However....you mentioned that your dad doesnt approve of you having a boyfriend. I dont see a problem with a 16 year old girl having a boyfriend Fashion.Dash

With all respect to your dad of course

Just my opinion if thats okay

You are more than welcome to post back as many times as you wish 🙂

my kind thoughts

Paul

RedAmberGreen
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey Fashion.Dash - not sure if you're still checking the threads....but my parents were super controlling when I was a teenager, and it used to make me incredibly angry and frustrated.

I made sure I did well at school and as soon as I got into uni, I moved out. And could do and wear what I liked - and I did - and the consequences weren't always that great.

I realise now that I'm a parent (my son is 21) my parents were just trying to protect me and keep me safe, which is why probably why your parents/dad prefers you to dress more modestly and keep away from boys / parties.

Sometimes, and even though it feels like the end of the world, we just have to put up with what our parents ask us to do, knowing that one day, you'll have the freedom to do absolutely everything you want to do.

It sounds like your parents really love and care for you - they want you to be safe. They know exactly what can happen to young women and want you to have a good future, to be happy and healthy.

You won't be living at home forever, see if you can stick it out - and maybe dress in ways that makes you feel good, but doesn't show too much flesh. This'll show your parents you respect their values...and then maybe your dad will worry less, and who knows...may even let you go to a party 😉 !

JaiPR
Community Member

Hey,

This is coming from a 17 going on 18 year old guy who has had his fair share of family orientated problems. First and foremost understand the intent is good, the intent is not the make you suffer and he does it because he loves you, maybe an old school way of parenting but you might understand one day if you have children.

Secondly, you don't want guys that are only attracted to crop tops and revealing stuff, especially not if you're looking for a relationship and not just some one night stand, they should be far more interested as you as a person than what you wear.

Restricting the boyfriend thing is a little far, a few friends of mine who are girls had similar issues and they used to sneak out and hook up at parties, it went pretty down hill in a sense of speaking, some of them started taking MD MA on Saturday night sneak outs to get back at their parents, or still do if i remember correctly. Avoid the mentality of getting back at your parents for what they do, it is malicious and never has good outcomes.

Just push through it, i know its hard and broad, i got told to push through Chronic Fatigue syndrome and that left me sleeping 18 hours a day and not being able to walk to the car, it is not always the right path but only a few more years and you're out. You might see it as they are denying you a child hood thing, but in reality sometimes this push can put you into a good adult hood so you don't make the mistakes a vulnerable adolescent.