FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

completely isolated and lonely in the city

Isol
Community Member
I suffered a life changing accident 2yrs ago at the time when I was suffering from empty nest. I am on my own with my dog(long term separatedand can't move on).. I used to fill my days but now after the accident I lost most of my career and I can't do much physical activity. I aged 20yrs and moves like a 90yr old. this is hard to take at the time when aging is the most confronting. I have no friends or family support, no career or colleagues, no relationship and have someone to lean on. I have blocked my situation out during my raising kids alone. Butt now I am a empty nester, lack social contact from my job , plus my injury without anayone to help me when I was temporary disabled and still struggling to walk without pain, I felt the full force of the isolation and loneliness. I feel I am dying of loneliness and my brian is slowing down and getting demented I find myself searching for reasons to live as just existing is pointless. I was a strong person and used to find strength in getting myself out of black holes somehow, but with many thing happening to me at the same time it has finally broke me! Any advise or just lend an ear would be nice. Thanks
8 Replies 8

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Isol~

Welcome to the bb Forum. I guess it's a pretty good first step. There are people here with all sorts of experiences, some no doubt rather like yours.

I'd imaging you have thought of various things to do, some more viable than others. I do know getting started is a hard thing.

I was invalided out of my career very young, and was devastated, lost my identity and became quite unwell. Due to family pressure I took up study, which gave me interests, occupation, social contact and identity. There are all sorts of study courses. Perhaps doing one could be an alternative. A random example would be genealogy, put out by a university as a on-line course, HECs fees waived. There are heaps, and one does not have to be a great scholar.

Another thing to do is on the National library's TROVE, editing old newspapers. Some people find this fascinating - anyone can do it who has the internet.

Assisting at charities is always good - even if moment is restricted, office-work, meals, sales.

Your dog could be an introduction to another sort of group.

Training and becoming a member of Lifelink or Lifeline can use many of an older person's experiences to the good.

The common thing with all of these suggestions is that they would -for me - have put me outside my comfort zone and maybe taken some setting up, particularly if movement or finances are limited. Study certainly was a change for me.

Can I suggest you have a browse around this Forum and see if you can find what others have done when faced with similar situations?

Please feel free to post as often as you'd like, you will be welcomed

Croix

kanga_brumby
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Isol your story resonates with me. Because of various medical issues I have difficulties with mobility. My kids have moved out of home. Always had very few if at all friends, family scattered all over hardly ever seeing them. Never having much of a social life. I haven't been in the work force now in 18-19 years. I was a volunteer for ages I know if I wanted to I could return to that job. Because part of the work involved answering the phone, and another part was two way radio. Along with going to peoples homes doing all different types of disaster work> I was in The SES. There is always places to go, or things you can do. One activity I have found is trying to help people in BB forums. I might not always get it fantastically right, but I give it the old school try. There is always something we can do out where ever. For ourselves and for others. Croix has been a great support since I've been here. So a big welcome hope what I have said was a help.

Kanga

Isol
Community Member
Hi Croix, thanks for your reply. I have been thinking of a career change and started learning coding. It's online learning so no face to face interaction so won't help with my loneliness though....

Hi Kanga, thanks for sharing your story and ideas with me. I tried hard to hang onto my career during the 20yrs of raising kids. And just when they finished school I thought I can resume my career properly, i then got the bad injury.... and since then I had other health issues. I have had 5 surgeries in the last 5yrs and it's taken it's toll. ... Part of me want to start a new career but another part feels tired all the time and barely has the motivation to get through the day without discomfort from the injury. Somedays I just want give up altogether and hide but the loneliness cause me so much pain!

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Isol~

Would you mind if I made a suggestion? I'm in the IT area and was a Uni educator in Computing for over 15 years.

Coding is essential, but the number of jobs in that area is not that great vs number of graduates. Firms also often look for experience. There are many other computer-related fields from Web Design, Graphics through to POS. I'm not sure of you reasons for selecting coding or of your physical capabilities. Similarly if you are planning on Uni or another type of institution to do your study.

I'd suggest shop around to find a course that has on-line content, student interaction and also a local presence if possible.

Time spent in researching this (ringing up Schools of Computing and explaining etc) may result in a useful course that occupies you, does not stretch your physical limitations too far, but still allows both on and off line interaction with others.

The academic year has already well started, but if you were looking at tertiary them semester II may be a go.

All Unis have a student welfare system that helps those with physical and mental disabilities.

My apologies if you have already though of all this.

Croix

Isol
Community Member
Hi croix, thanks so much for your suggestions. I was looking to study from phd, MBA, psychology to computer science. I though computer science would be more ideal for the next 20yr of my life as it would allow me to be self employed. I also like web design and graphics. What is POS? A course with online as well as face to face would be ideal for me. Do you know one? I live near Macquarie uni in Sydney. I would be interested in a semester 2 enrollment.

Isol
Community Member
Hi croix, the reason I picked coding was to write apps and eventually write a medical program. I don't know if this will be the right direction for my career. I am still grieving my old career. At this stage finding a course to study might save me. I don't mind which institute to study from as long as it's not too far to travel to. Any suggestions and advises are most welcome.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Isol~

Any suggestions

I'm afraid I'll have to throw that one back at you, I'm out of touch - and was from a different area. What I do think is that a degree of detective work now, even if the phone bill goes up a bit, can pay dividends. If it was me I'd start on the web with the unis and see their course outlines from different schools, then make contact over the likely ones. Might take you a while.

Then there's the TAFEs. I guess from your point of view the main thing is that is has some human interaction as well as employment prospects (don't forget in many IT areas you would be competing with overseas)

The downside of any formal course is the time taken and associated living expenses. I do know firstly that a high proportion of graduates do not end up in jobs directly related to their degrees, and secondly there is maybe a little more social life the Arts-Humanities (Hard to say). You mentioned psychology, which seems to be even more maths than computing is.

Having one's career disappear is horrible, I was a policeman before I was invalided out. So I can understand how you feel.

Please keep on posting as often as you'd like

Croix