FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Child support, non custodial parenting, step parents, ex partner issues, estrangement

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi

I am experienced in all of the above so hoping I can help any of you that has an issue in the above categories.

In my 20's I was a step dad to a little boy for 7 years

in my 30's I had 2 daughters and we separated when they reached 7 and 4yo. I was unable to maintain a good friendly relationship with their mother, only the bare communication at best. She remarried then divorced, then lived with another guy. My eldest left home to live with me at 12yo. I then had a defacto relationship with a lady for 10 years that proved a poor step mum to my kids, she had two teenagers so I was their step dad.

I paid child support for 14 years plus other expenses.

Eventually in 2011 I remarried to a lady, my best friend for 25 years. She was also my children's favourite auntie by marriage when young so that worked out. My eldest no longer has a relationship with her birth mother and treat my wife as her mother now.

I'm estranged from my youngest daughter now 31yo. This was my choice following years of narcissistic abuse she inherited from her birth mother.

When first separated from my daughters mother I built my own home. Paying child support it was the only way I could afford one and I had the technical expertise to build it.

So if any of you have questions I'll endeavour to answer them. The torment, the anguish and the sorrow can often be too much, I endured even though I had bipolar and other issues. There was many times I thought I wouldnt make it. Just losing my full time fatherhood was painful enough, I'm glad 50/50 parenting has become more popular than it was 20 years ago.

Until we chat.

TonyWK

1 Reply 1

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Step parenting

My ex Gf for 10 years wasnt kind to my daughters. Yet, my now 2nd wife of 12 years is referred to as "mum". This has led me to believe that step parents are more successful with their step children when they have critical nurturing qualities. As well, they dont view the children as a threat or gaining too much attention, that such attention seeking for their blood parent is natural and should not be seen as a competition. My situation was the I had my kids every second weekend, even so my then partner couldnt bring herself to restrain her jealousy even for 48 hours.

TonyWK