FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Bipolar and devastated

Feeldeatroyed
Community Member

Hi there

i feel like I’ve exhausted all my support options and this is my last resort. I’m bipolar and my relationship is in crisis because of this. We have a 2 year son and He’s in daycare twice a week but I just can’t cope knowing my partner is unhappy and that we might get separated. We’ve been together for 6 years and he’s seen me through a lot but he’s had enough which I can totally understand and understand why he feels frustrated. I just feel like I’m walking on eggshells with him trying not to do anything wrong, trying to act “okay” when I’m suffering. My GP said we need marriage counseling but my partner refuses do go. I don’t know what to do, I’m trying to get better but the support I use to get from my relationship is gone and I don’t have any family and I feel so alone. He’s sick of repeating things to me and I’ve already had 2 hospitalisations ... does anyone have any advice? I can’t talk to him anymore..,or it seems anyone.

2 Replies 2

Dadmeister
Community Member

Oh Dear, my heart reaches out to you, please do not think you are alone. I’m also bipolar as well as adhd and gad. I tried for so long to manage my mental illness on my own as my wife would accuse me of using it as an excuse. I learned to seek professional help from therapists and psychs and changed my meds around a lot. I use to not foster close relationships with mates but learned to very quickly when my marriage started slipping away.
we tried marriage counselling but ultimately it got us nowhere.

I am now past the grief stage and the dark places in my mind and have found renewed vigour with my children, friends, work and hobbies.

Again I take solace in the fact that I am not alone and many of my close friends also have a marriage of convenience because they are staying together for the kids or because they can’t afford to get divorced.

Please remember you have to fix yourself before you can help others or your marriage, if your husband is not patient enough to sit back and support you then perhaps things aren’t meant to be.

Best of luck and remember the first person in the world is yourself. I always put my wife and children before me but if I can’t truly love myself then how can I love others.

all the very best to you

Anthony

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Feeldeatroyed

my heart aches for you.

I had 3 children and my partner blamed me . I was in denial because back then there was stigma, ignorance and not much information.

you do need look after yourself and find support from dr or psych. Your partner may feel confused and tired.

There is a thread This bipolar life. Which you may find helpful.

Dadmeister has given you helpful suggestions from his own experience.