Relationship and family issues

Anything to do with managing relationships and family, including parenting, separation, loneliness, divorce, family and friendships.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: 3 important tips to get the most out of this section
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following... View more

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following 3 tips: 1. Do you really want to share this with the world? This is a public forum. Are you thinking of posting something that could identify you to a friend or family member? Once you've posted, you can't delete what you've written and we don't take posts down from here unless they've broken one of our community rules. This is because our members spend a lot of time composing replies, and there is a much wider audience that gets a lot out of reading what has been written. It's not fair to ask the community for support, then ask to have it removed once you've read it so others can't also benefit. Use discretion when posting here - think about the level of detail you are sharing, and think also about who might know you are posting here. Also, please keep it clean: this is an all ages forum and explicit discussions about sexual problems are not permitted. Threads and posts of this nature will be removed and your account placed on a moderation hold. 2. What do you want to get out of posting here? Relationship and family issues are stressful. Members sometimes post here seeking advice about a relationship that has broken down, but find themselves getting upset when they don't agree with the response they get. This is a peer support forum, meaning we are not mental health professionals. We are people of all ages and backgrounds, with a wide range of life experiences. While we aim for our discussions to be conducted respectfully, people here will respond with the truth as they see it, from their own experiences and perspectives. We are not here to take sides. Offence is almost never intentional, but it can be sometimes taken. The advice you will see here is not intended to be a substitute for professional counselling. 3. What other support do you have? Most people posting on our forums (about any issue) use this space as a supplement to other supports. This forum is not and cannot be a substitute for offline supports, but it is often a good place to start the ball rolling and find the courage for seeking help. If you are relying solely on an internet forum to resolve your relationship or family issues, you are likely to be disappointed. Check out the Healthy Homes section of our Healthy Families website for further information and resources.

All discussions

notch What to do after my marriage broke down
  • replies: 5

Hi first time poster My marriage of 10 yrs has ended. My husband came home said he was feeling stressed and unhappy and packed his things and left within 5mins. His mum is dying of cancer and he was always at work never seeing her or us. He had withd... View more

Hi first time poster My marriage of 10 yrs has ended. My husband came home said he was feeling stressed and unhappy and packed his things and left within 5mins. His mum is dying of cancer and he was always at work never seeing her or us. He had withdrawn from a normal life for some time. The relationship wasn't bad in the sense that we didn't fight or argue. I moved with the children a week later 1500k's away back to a family residence but, it is not family i am particularly close to or get along with. However the children are happy here. It was leaving a job, friends, home, school, community that has really knocked me. This had happened before several yrs earlier and we had tried the counseling route we were at counselling for a year. The counselor told him that "he showed very strong Anti-Social Personality Disorder traits" and needed to seek further help with it. I thought it ment that he just didn't like socializing or was awkward in social situations. In reality he is a sociopath unable to feel the same way as normal people would. He said he was being a bad husband, father and son. Which was all true. He has stated that he doesn't want any contact with his children as he knows that he'll just mess them up cause he knows that he doesn't "feel" for them the way a dad should. He doesn't enjoy being around them and doesn't know how to interact with them and they just make him anxious and frustrated as he has no idea what they are talking about. Now that we have moved I have no friends, not that I had many before, my ex often didn't like anyone that I liked or wanted to go anywhere. When I say we didn't argue we didn't but when I got on his nerves he would just completely ignore me as he would do with the children too. I feel like I am completely unable to function. I have lost a lot of weight. I feel like I'm failing and cry a lot everyday. I am now in a rural area with no contact to anyone. I am finding the thought of trying to put things together very overwhelming. It is even hard to talk to the people I know as I know I'm miserable and find it hard to communicate just how down and depressed I feel. it is really hard talking to people that think that being really happy and upbeat will rub off on me. With my ex having his personality disorder it has made me question everything about myself. I often blame myself and worry about what I should do to fix myself. I can't even look at people without worrying about how bad they must think of me.

vicman I just want to share
  • replies: 5

I just want to share this: Fifteen years ago I separated from my first wife after 26 years together. It was her idea as she wanted to do all the things she hadn’t done as a younger, single person. She was also having an affair at the time. I sunk dee... View more

I just want to share this: Fifteen years ago I separated from my first wife after 26 years together. It was her idea as she wanted to do all the things she hadn’t done as a younger, single person. She was also having an affair at the time. I sunk deeper into a depression and, over time, lost contact with all my children and Grand Children. After nearly a decade I was able to make contact with them via Facebook, unfortunately none of them wished to have contact with me. I don’t really blame them, after almost ten years they had new lives, lives without me. I’m remarried to a fantastic lady who had two adult children and now four Grand Children. The relationship between my wife and her children is not a close one so at this late stage in my life I feel so wasted. Although I have so much family out there I will forever be without them to share love and lives with.

wanted_a_simple_life I want to run away
  • replies: 2

My marriage has failed and just want to run away. Everything I've worked hard for means nothing. The only thing holding me here is my two precious daughters that need me more than I need them...

My marriage has failed and just want to run away. Everything I've worked hard for means nothing. The only thing holding me here is my two precious daughters that need me more than I need them...

Brb My life is about to change forever. My husband is leaving me
  • replies: 1

7 montys ago my husband cheated while away for work. With someone from his work that he had just met. When he came home, he told me. Those words ripped me and shredded me. But he and i decided to try and work through it.I have tried. And the dark tho... View more

7 montys ago my husband cheated while away for work. With someone from his work that he had just met. When he came home, he told me. Those words ripped me and shredded me. But he and i decided to try and work through it.I have tried. And the dark thoughts have improved. But when it happened he could never tell me Why? He didnt know. We have had 7 years of a loving and trusting relationship. We are best friends and i love him in a way that i know I will never feel again. This will sound arogant, and i dont mean it to be, but I know that the level of love I have for him is unique and special and very rare in life. 2 months ago he asked me to marry him again. It was significant and showed me that we were getting past the past. We were going to buy a house and had everything ready. And then 5 days ago he told me he wanted a break. That something was broken in our relationship. Every day since this i go from numbness to hysterical crying to anger and just so much dread. We were honest and open and i even asked if he wanted to break up with me. He said no. But he hasnt been inimate with me, he cant sleep and last night when he got home from work he stayed up until 3am drinking and smoking. Very unlike him unless he is in some emotional turmoil. He had told me that he just wishes we met older, that i am perfect for him but I'm only the second relationship he's ever been in and he doesn't know who he is without me. Last night when he came to bed he was affectionate, holding me and kissed my forehead.and told me he had been trying to write something for me but it just wasnt right, but it was beautiful. He wouldnt tell me what it was. I asked if he would kiss me and he just hugged me and told me not to worry about him. I think he knows tthat i know what is coming. This morning i went to work. Cried in front of the counter assistant when buying cigarettes. But i can function around people. I left work again and now i am home waiting for him to wake so we can have this last conversation before my life as i know it is over. I need strength. Im not afraid of being alone. I'm afraid of not being with the one that i envisioned my life being with and all my goals and treasured moments being with. As a team. I guess i just needed to let this out as i have nobody that i want to confide in and am an emotional wreck and scared beyond belief. Thanks.

wanted_a_simple_life Letting Go
  • replies: 4

Im about 4 months into my seperation and it looks like we are not getting back together. My wife has cheated on me for six months now and continues to deny she is in a relationship. She claims I broke her, but she is going out with another person. I ... View more

Im about 4 months into my seperation and it looks like we are not getting back together. My wife has cheated on me for six months now and continues to deny she is in a relationship. She claims I broke her, but she is going out with another person. I feel like I have failed my kids by not keeping the marriage together, but it was her choice. Its time to let go, but I find its very hard to do. I cant see myself with another person as she has spoken so many bad things about me, who would ever want me......

wanted_a_simple_life When Her Family Lies Too
  • replies: 4

Im finding my seperated wifes family lying. I know that blood is thicker than water, but they could atleast admit it and just say we stand by her no matter what she has done. It really has hurt me cause I have put them first in a lot of situations in... View more

Im finding my seperated wifes family lying. I know that blood is thicker than water, but they could atleast admit it and just say we stand by her no matter what she has done. It really has hurt me cause I have put them first in a lot of situations in our married life. I have asked them to prove me wrong with the information that she started an affair whilst married to me, but they say the social media accounts where I get this information from were hacked??? They say the police are investigating, but I havent heard anything since.....

wanted_a_simple_life My Seperated Wife In Denial
  • replies: 2

Its been six months now since my wife met someone on a cruise and started an emotional relationship with. I suspect it was physical on the cruise as the amount of alcohol she has admitted to consuming was excessive.She even took her wedding rings off... View more

Its been six months now since my wife met someone on a cruise and started an emotional relationship with. I suspect it was physical on the cruise as the amount of alcohol she has admitted to consuming was excessive.She even took her wedding rings off on the cruise and I have the photos to prove it. She denies she is in a relationship with him, but he posted on facebook that she is his girlfriend and wants to propose to her at the end of the year. I confronted her with this information and she said his facebook account was hacked by someone. She has painted a really bad picture of me to her family and is using that as a cover as her family does not know she is in this relationship. Everyone close to us knows she is not telling the truth and she has pushed away friends that challenge her on this.I have caught her before texting guys behind my back and when I have confronted her about it, she denied it initially until I showed her the evidence then moved to downplay it by saying she can have close guy friends as girlfriends are bitchy etc. She has made selfish decisions by moving and relocating my kids in order to hide what she is doing. Our close friends say she is so selfish and continues to make decisions that are in the best interests for her, not the kids. Her parents dont know whats going on and totally believe her story about me. They are going to find out very soon and I know they are going to react to this information and so will she. Im over seeing all this happen and my kids getting dragged through this in order for her to have an affair. I miss my kids so much.

BGA Lost, Confused, Feeling Numb
  • replies: 1

I am still with my current partner, and becuase of a few infidelities in our relationship we are on a rocky road. After a long discussion we have siad we will push forward, however I feel it maybe for our childrens sake. I want to work through our is... View more

I am still with my current partner, and becuase of a few infidelities in our relationship we are on a rocky road. After a long discussion we have siad we will push forward, however I feel it maybe for our childrens sake. I want to work through our issues, she says she does but with stipulations that suit her and no room for give and take. My gut feeling is she doesnt want to be the one to split up out family, so she may be driving a wedge. I need some advise through this situation: *advise from fathers that have left their partners and does it work *How are the kids going to cope *how do I move forward without her opening up Im lost and confused which is leaving me feeling numb inside, and im not sure if this numbness ghas me over thinking the situation.

wanted_a_simple_life My girls were my world
  • replies: 13

My world has been turned upside down 15 weeks ago when my wife no longer wanted me. We had been together for 10 years, married for 8 and have two of the most beautiful girls a Dad could hope for. We always had our ups and downs and yes Ive said stupi... View more

My world has been turned upside down 15 weeks ago when my wife no longer wanted me. We had been together for 10 years, married for 8 and have two of the most beautiful girls a Dad could hope for. We always had our ups and downs and yes Ive said stupid things in the heat of the moment, but generally we had a good marriage but always had room for improvement. We were so busy most of the time with everything we had to do in life and looking back we really didnt invest into our marriage enough and slowly things got worse and we fought more and more. After we seperated we went to counselling where I found my wife not giving an inch and blaming me for leaving her a broken person. Im a bit old school and worked tirelessly to give my girls a great home and life and sacrificed myself in doing it. I also spent a lot of time with the girls during thier activities they chose to do. I always thought if I did this, my wife would still love me, but obviously I havent emotionally met her needs and have found out someone else is now. I feel so robbed that Im going to miss a large chunk of my girls growing up as my wife has moved away in order to distance herself from the things that will eventually catch up with her in the relationship she has formed. Im so frustrated that she has painted a really bad picture about me to her family that they dont want to talk to me and therefore delay them finding out about her new relationship. I really want to tell them my side of the story as I have proof beyond doubt that she is a new relationship, but they dont want a bar of it. There are other people who know this information as they found it too after being suspcious as to why she had left me, but no one has told her immeadiate family. What should I do??

rustic_charm my husband had 5 one night stands in our first 10yrs of marrage
  • replies: 13

i have been married for 28 yrs im only 46yrs old now , and have just learn 4weeks ago that my husband had slept or had 5 one night stands in our first 10yrs of marrage,, i have had my world shattered i love him and want to keep our marrage but im so ... View more

i have been married for 28 yrs im only 46yrs old now , and have just learn 4weeks ago that my husband had slept or had 5 one night stands in our first 10yrs of marrage,, i have had my world shattered i love him and want to keep our marrage but im so brocken i dont no how to fix myself ,, i dont like feeling like this