Relationship and family issues

Anything to do with managing relationships and family, including parenting, separation, loneliness, divorce, family and friendships.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: 3 important tips to get the most out of this section
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following... View more

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following 3 tips: 1. Do you really want to share this with the world? This is a public forum. Are you thinking of posting something that could identify you to a friend or family member? Once you've posted, you can't delete what you've written and we don't take posts down from here unless they've broken one of our community rules. This is because our members spend a lot of time composing replies, and there is a much wider audience that gets a lot out of reading what has been written. It's not fair to ask the community for support, then ask to have it removed once you've read it so others can't also benefit. Use discretion when posting here - think about the level of detail you are sharing, and think also about who might know you are posting here. Also, please keep it clean: this is an all ages forum and explicit discussions about sexual problems are not permitted. Threads and posts of this nature will be removed and your account placed on a moderation hold. 2. What do you want to get out of posting here? Relationship and family issues are stressful. Members sometimes post here seeking advice about a relationship that has broken down, but find themselves getting upset when they don't agree with the response they get. This is a peer support forum, meaning we are not mental health professionals. We are people of all ages and backgrounds, with a wide range of life experiences. While we aim for our discussions to be conducted respectfully, people here will respond with the truth as they see it, from their own experiences and perspectives. We are not here to take sides. Offence is almost never intentional, but it can be sometimes taken. The advice you will see here is not intended to be a substitute for professional counselling. 3. What other support do you have? Most people posting on our forums (about any issue) use this space as a supplement to other supports. This forum is not and cannot be a substitute for offline supports, but it is often a good place to start the ball rolling and find the courage for seeking help. If you are relying solely on an internet forum to resolve your relationship or family issues, you are likely to be disappointed. Check out the Healthy Homes section of our Healthy Families website for further information and resources.

All discussions

Onex Jealousy
  • replies: 3

Hi beyondblue, I'm in a situation where I just get nowhere. I've had issues with the way I look since I was a young girl (early 20's now). I am a new mum so my body has changed a lot. People tell me to embrace my mother's body but they just have no i... View more

Hi beyondblue, I'm in a situation where I just get nowhere. I've had issues with the way I look since I was a young girl (early 20's now). I am a new mum so my body has changed a lot. People tell me to embrace my mother's body but they just have no idea what I've been going through before becoming a mother. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore my baby, I wouldn't change him for the world! I just feel very defensive now more than ever when my partner meets new women who have great "assets" and he seems to be so smitten with them. We get into so many arguments over it because he says I'm blowing it all out of proportion. Somehow all these women have cool lives that I feel like he wants but instead he's stuck with me. I'm also home all the time and have no finances of my own to meet friends or meet new people. I just feel so isolated and he's out there at work doing whatever he wants, having drinks after work etc. Call me silly, but I'd love some help to change my mindset about myself (especially) and the way I handle my partner and his "girl friends". Thank you.

Jessicat Keep ruining everything
  • replies: 2

Hi, Not sure if this will make sense but I'll try. I'm 23 and am 38 weeks pregnant with my 1st child. About a month ago the childs father broke up with me. We had been together for 3 years, had been our first loves and shared all that came along with... View more

Hi, Not sure if this will make sense but I'll try. I'm 23 and am 38 weeks pregnant with my 1st child. About a month ago the childs father broke up with me. We had been together for 3 years, had been our first loves and shared all that came along with that, had lived together for 1 1/2 years, and had planned on getting married. Both our families loved each other, we were madly in love, shared so many goals and ideals, and had a great relationship... except the fighting. His temper and my anxiety/depression clashed on so many occasions. I was the crazy, insecure girlfriend who would cry and break down begging for reassurance and more physical affection, he was the mad guy that would lose it at any time his xbox game messed up or he didn't get his way (he became quite physical). In the end my anxiety and depression got the better of us and he left (he was also cheating on me). I realised that he had fallen out of love with me and had checked out of the relationship months before it was finally over. After a few weeks in hospital after suicidal thoughts, I moved back into my mums place where I plan on staying for the first few months of my kids life. He took over the lease of our rental property.Over the last few weeks things had finally reached a point where we could casually talk about general things, and communicate our wishes for co-parenting. But I am not coping in the slightest. He is completely ok with the end of the relationship, pointing out almost daily that we aren't getting back together and that he is happier without me. I on the other hand am a complete mess and the last few days have started begging for him back, which had ended in a very big fight. I can't seem to move on and accept the fact that we won't be having a happy family, and that the love of my life isn't coming back no matter how hard I try to fix things. I'm so scared of co-parenting and going through birth without him. I miss him so much and can't push past fantasies of us together. I'm lost and afraid and don't know how to stop begging for him back. Every time I do I ruin things.... just like I was doing in the relationship. Seeing him so happy isn't helping the situation and not that he is really angry at me... I don't know what to do. I'm constantly panicking and I feel so low.

rat17 help with jerts or docs

I would like to know how the system works. Once a child makes a complaint whether home or school, and then community services get involved, they have a meeting with "JERTS" I think that's how you spell it, when that's how this case went. So anyways t... View more

I would like to know how the system works. Once a child makes a complaint whether home or school, and then community services get involved, they have a meeting with "JERTS" I think that's how you spell it, when that's how this case went. So anyways they are interviewed by the appropriate ppl, at what point is it taken out of the parents hands. At what point does the parents have no say. Can they stop the accusation once JERTS is involved. Please help.

Angelz Mood
  • replies: 1

I don't know why but whenever I hear my ex's name or anything about him by the next day or two I'm in a bad mood... Anyone else been like this? I hate it & hate how he still has that effect on me after five years of being apart.

I don't know why but whenever I hear my ex's name or anything about him by the next day or two I'm in a bad mood... Anyone else been like this? I hate it & hate how he still has that effect on me after five years of being apart.

SOMETHING_IS_WRONG Daughter Hates Herself

I don't know how to deal with my 15 year old daughter. I was her when I was younger but not to this extreme, she is 163cm and weighs 56ish kilos, she absolutely detests herself and does not want to go out in public. She goes to school in her uniform ... View more

I don't know how to deal with my 15 year old daughter. I was her when I was younger but not to this extreme, she is 163cm and weighs 56ish kilos, she absolutely detests herself and does not want to go out in public. She goes to school in her uniform because its huge and covers her body, as she informs me. She has a problem with her thighs and she is absolutely beautiful, she isn't anyway over weight but in her head this is what she believes. I do blame myself a little as I was this way, I tried very hard to make sure when they were little girls that I was not judge mental of myself as she was growing up, my oldest daughter is not like my youngest daughter at all, very opposite actually. I have spoken to her and I have tried, but she has cried and cried so much, that I have suggested maybe counselling to help with her with her body image. I don't want her wasting the next 20 years of her life worrying about her body. She is gorgeous inside and out, but" im her mum and that's what im supposed to say" quoted by her. This is only a brief, she really does hate herself and I don't know how to deal with it. Thankyou

Living57 So not coping
  • replies: 6

Just too much at the moment. I have bi-polar and depression along with having panic/anxiety attacks. My husband has just been diagnosed with dementia. We had my parents living with us from 2009, Mum passed away in 2010, Dad passed away in 2012, in be... View more

Just too much at the moment. I have bi-polar and depression along with having panic/anxiety attacks. My husband has just been diagnosed with dementia. We had my parents living with us from 2009, Mum passed away in 2010, Dad passed away in 2012, in between in 2011 my much loved son-in-law passed away aged just 40. We moved to a new house in April thus year and to be honest that is all that is keeping me going, 5 acres, chickens, veggies and fruit trees.I am finding it hard to cope, particularly with my husband. His doctor has stopped him from driving, told him to cut out all alcohol. He complains to all who will listen that I made the doctor take these actions, that he doesnt have dementia, they have all got it wrong. I understand that he is going through his own issues in comung to terms with what is happening. I too am finding it hard, it is playing havoc with my mental health.i am so low, the bottom of the hole, i just wish sometimes the blackness would swallow me. I have told my husband how I am feeling and he tells me not to be ridiculous and to get over it, get a life. He has become totally unsupportive, and I admit to be scared of how I am feeling.Anyway, thanks for letting me get it out, much appreciatedbeyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community areencouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

Aynat Break up, not coping
  • replies: 3

I was with my boyfriend for seven years. Ten months ago he told me he wanted to explore his sexuality. I was shattered. We were so close, i would speak to him everyday. Since our break up we have been on a roller coaster of emotions. We have even hoo... View more

I was with my boyfriend for seven years. Ten months ago he told me he wanted to explore his sexuality. I was shattered. We were so close, i would speak to him everyday. Since our break up we have been on a roller coaster of emotions. We have even hooked up a few times. We hooked up recently and about three weeks afterwards i found out he had slept with a man. I am so hurt. I have not had one day go by without crying. I have lost my best friend. I am just so hurt that he is able to move on. I feel like our relationship meant nothing and that i mean nothing.

MindfulStep feeling alone and frightened.(trigger warning)

I've had a really tough week and waiting for a psychiatric assessment - I've recently lost another job and at 45 feel quite scared as I don't have family - context being my mother threw me out of home and dissapeared after I tried to tell authorities... View more

I've had a really tough week and waiting for a psychiatric assessment - I've recently lost another job and at 45 feel quite scared as I don't have family - context being my mother threw me out of home and dissapeared after I tried to tell authorities about her boyfriend's abused, and in 2007 my father cut me off after telling me it was normal for father's to find daughters attractive, and for me ringing DOCS to report his nephew - this action of mine resulted in being cut out and threatned with physical threats. My twin brother has hit me so many times, and also hospitalised other men and women - his own wife had to dissapear with my two neices. I've manage to crawl my way back out of boarding houses, abusive relationships but it is hard work. It is a marathon. This week my friend of 15 years who always rang me and who moved to Queensland to be close disclosed some very heavy stuff about her own step daughter who she has been leaning on me to support - but it lead me to only feel a more overwhelming sense of depression and I found myself preparing a will - which is for me is weird as I hate paperwork. She is my emergency contact so when I told her I was going to admit myself into hospital and to please seek professional help for her stepdaughter she unfriended me. I asked her politely why she had done this and she said to force me to call her. I explained I was in emergency ward and had no credit - I could communicate via facebook. She then just bombarded me with texts and finally called late at night when I was resting. I've had to block her and now realise I am completely on my own. Going to hospital on my own and having to work out who is going to be my emergency contact. It is pretty overwhelming.

CtrlAltDelicious How can I stay positive?
  • replies: 5

Hi all, this is my first post so I hope I get it right I have been with my partner for 10 years now, and I've noticed that he's gotten more and more negative over the past four or so years. He was diagnosed with depression and anxiety around 6 years ... View more

Hi all, this is my first post so I hope I get it right I have been with my partner for 10 years now, and I've noticed that he's gotten more and more negative over the past four or so years. He was diagnosed with depression and anxiety around 6 years ago, but he refuses to do anything to address it. He won't take medication or see a counsellor or anything. I myself have been battling depression and anxiety since I was a teenager and I know how hard it can be. Every time something bad happens (no matter how small the problem) he just gets so frustrated and angry. He always puts it down to never having any good luck or me jinxing things. He just always assumes the worst in everything. He constantly puts me down, either it's my weight, my laziness, stupidity or lack of compassion. We end up fighting all the time because I'm just so sick of his negative comments. I feel like he's trying to control me because he feels like he has no control over his own life. He told me I'm a horrible person to be around because I'm so angry all the time, but the funny thing is that when I'm at work or away from him I'm very happy person! His bad attitude towards everything, just frustrates me so much! I want to try and stay positive around him and not let his attitude get to me and maybe it might rub off on him a little? Is it even possible?? I'm at the point where I don't want to be around him at all and seriously thinking of leaving him altogether. Does anyone have any advice?

shadowfox I'm just having a really tough time

I've lived with depression for most of my life, but since my early 20s I've coped with it pretty well. I've just ended an on again, off again relationship. I love him so much, I've never felt anything like this for anyone, but we just kept having pro... View more

I've lived with depression for most of my life, but since my early 20s I've coped with it pretty well. I've just ended an on again, off again relationship. I love him so much, I've never felt anything like this for anyone, but we just kept having problems. The more we tried to fix it, the worse it got. I've gotten really depressed over the fact that the two of us loved each other so much but kept having problems, so I've really ended it. I've finally confided in close friends and family about how I've been feeling, and it turns out they've been worried about me for a while. i had made a little island of isolation for myself and shut everyone out. I'm talking to people every day now about what I'm going through and it's been so helpful knowing that people are willing to help me with the burden. i went to my gp today to try to get a bulk billed referral to get some counselling, but i have to wait 4 weeks to see someone. It's so frustrating. I just really don't want to feel this way anymore. it's also killing me that i know he's struggling and he won't be giving up or letting me go in his own mind. I know that this is the right thing because it shouldn't be so hard, but he doesn't understand why we can't keep trying. I'm so worried about him. He's distraught. I want to make sure he's okay but i can't speak to him. When the lines of communication open back up, he starts trying to talk me into giving it another shot and it kills me that i have to keep refusing and hurting him and myself at the same time. I haven't been this depressed since my late teens. I was suicidal then. I'm not at this point, but i get a bit scared that it might spiral if I'm not careful. I know i have a lot of people who care about me and i am leaning on them and being supported, but i still just feel so helpless sometimes.