Relationship and family issues

Anything to do with managing relationships and family, including parenting, separation, loneliness, divorce, family and friendships.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: 3 important tips to get the most out of this section
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following... View more

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following 3 tips: 1. Do you really want to share this with the world? This is a public forum. Are you thinking of posting something that could identify you to a friend or family member? Once you've posted, you can't delete what you've written and we don't take posts down from here unless they've broken one of our community rules. This is because our members spend a lot of time composing replies, and there is a much wider audience that gets a lot out of reading what has been written. It's not fair to ask the community for support, then ask to have it removed once you've read it so others can't also benefit. Use discretion when posting here - think about the level of detail you are sharing, and think also about who might know you are posting here. Also, please keep it clean: this is an all ages forum and explicit discussions about sexual problems are not permitted. Threads and posts of this nature will be removed and your account placed on a moderation hold. 2. What do you want to get out of posting here? Relationship and family issues are stressful. Members sometimes post here seeking advice about a relationship that has broken down, but find themselves getting upset when they don't agree with the response they get. This is a peer support forum, meaning we are not mental health professionals. We are people of all ages and backgrounds, with a wide range of life experiences. While we aim for our discussions to be conducted respectfully, people here will respond with the truth as they see it, from their own experiences and perspectives. We are not here to take sides. Offence is almost never intentional, but it can be sometimes taken. The advice you will see here is not intended to be a substitute for professional counselling. 3. What other support do you have? Most people posting on our forums (about any issue) use this space as a supplement to other supports. This forum is not and cannot be a substitute for offline supports, but it is often a good place to start the ball rolling and find the courage for seeking help. If you are relying solely on an internet forum to resolve your relationship or family issues, you are likely to be disappointed. Check out the Healthy Homes section of our Healthy Families website for further information and resources.

All discussions

TTSP Low Self Esteem
  • replies: 4

Hi. I'm new to BB and I'm not sure what I am expecting from posting this. Lately my low self esteem seems to be effecting everything I do. I live in a small town and dread going out, even to do the shopping in case I see someone who knows me. If I'm ... View more

Hi. I'm new to BB and I'm not sure what I am expecting from posting this. Lately my low self esteem seems to be effecting everything I do. I live in a small town and dread going out, even to do the shopping in case I see someone who knows me. If I'm alone (when the kids are at school) I will do it as quickly as possible - get in and get out. I am a little more comfortable if I take my children with me, but still go in avoiding eye contact and hoping I don't run into anyone I know. I also put off making local appointments, so I don't have to attend them. This has been going on for some time. I know it has a lot to do with my separation and the smear campaign by my narcissistic ex. This morning, however, I saw a link with my self esteem issues. This is what happened - I took my children to school and I thought to myself that I should go for a walk, it might make me feel better. Then the thought of people around town seeing me doing exercise filled me with dread and I went straight home. I can see that this is not a reasonable thought process because there were people I know who saw me walk in and out of the school. I'm finding it hard to explain and rationalise. I need to seek some help, but I am worried that my narcissistic ex will use it against me in some way. Anyones thoughts will be appreciated.

rmcs88 How to move on from a first love
  • replies: 4

Hi guys, I broke up w my bf 2.5 months ago after a 2 year r/ship and we lived together for majority of it. Im struggling! I had a melt down when i couldn't resist the urge to check his Facebook and saw that he was talking to this women. This was my w... View more

Hi guys, I broke up w my bf 2.5 months ago after a 2 year r/ship and we lived together for majority of it. Im struggling! I had a melt down when i couldn't resist the urge to check his Facebook and saw that he was talking to this women. This was my worse nightmare coming true that he would move on really soon and I'm still struggling dealing with it. He told me that finding someone was the last thing on his mind. I'm probably over thinking this but its still hurts to think that he has moved on so easily. My self esteem, self confidence, self worth and self love has take a nose dive and I'm getting bad anxiety. The anxiety gives me physical chest pains and Im finding it hard to breathe. He said that he didnt want to be in a relationship anymore and that he fell out of love with me. I saw a future w him and now its all gone. All my friends have said that it takes time and that there is someone out there who will love you and fight for you. But Im finding it so hard to let go of my ex as he was a good bf. My fear is that I won't find that person and i'll be all alone. Loneliness is my weakness. Sorry for the long post

ReeBecca Struggling with my marriage
  • replies: 10

I dont even know why I am writing this here..I just have no one I can tell this to. I have suffered from depression for a long time now. I have times when I am coping really well but I seem to always come back to this feeling of emptiness. I am wonde... View more

I dont even know why I am writing this here..I just have no one I can tell this to. I have suffered from depression for a long time now. I have times when I am coping really well but I seem to always come back to this feeling of emptiness. I am wondering if maybe it is because I am not satisfied in my marriage.. I have been with my husband for 13 years and we are coming up to our 8th wedding anniversary. I have been with him since I was around 18 and he is a good man who loves me dearly and takes care of me and our children. The thing is I dont think I have ever been in love with him. When I was young I was a very confused young person and I really didnt know what I wanted in life or how to be alone. Anyway I feel like I got married too young and really didnt understand the committment i was taking on and now I feel like I have missed out on falling 'in love'. I know thats awful to say.... I always feel like I am craving love and passion..or wanting to be in love. Wanting someone who makes me laugh.. My husband plays a lot of video games and I feel like my life is just get up, get kids ready, go to work, pick kids up, bath them, cook dinner, put them to bed..and then say goodnight to my husband who is in his mancave, go to sleep..and do it all over again the next day. Which is not a bad thing..because I like routine..routine is good..Im just missing the passionate side of marriage that I feel like other people have.. My husband is very passionate towards me but I just dont feel that way about him. I just feel a bit lonely and want to be in love. does this even make sense? I have a husband who love me...but yet i feel lonely.

Frankilouise Family and Husband Relationship difficulty
  • replies: 3

We have been renovating my parents rental house while renting it for 3 years now, the roof was falling apart so my husband said he would replace it. He then wanted to do extra renovations etc but we ran out of money so had half renovations and it has... View more

We have been renovating my parents rental house while renting it for 3 years now, the roof was falling apart so my husband said he would replace it. He then wanted to do extra renovations etc but we ran out of money so had half renovations and it has now been a year, a lot of money spent and a lot of my parents money spent on the house, and there is still parts not finished (only minor bits). My husbands business was going downhill and owed a lot of money. We couldn't afford rent, we owed months in rent at this stage and I was only working three days a week (we have a 3 yr old son). My dad lost it at my husband, he told him he was stealing off him, he was a lazy drug addicted scumbag. He said he has no respect. It was horrible. My dad kicked my husband out of the house, I packed up the entire house. We signed a new lease for a new house and were ready to move. My mum begged me not to move, she didn't want us to struggle with rent somewhere else and was worried. My dad said sorry for yelling, to my husband. We ended up staying and kept working on the house. I am now working full time, I still am struggling with money, I pay rent and childcare and food I can afford. Other than that my money is gone. My husband is working every couple of weeks, he always says work is coming, this quote, that quote. But when he gets work, his under quoted and we never make any money. He won't work for anyone else, he is so stubborn he will just work for himself even though it hasn't been working. I am slowly trying to build a relationship back up with my parents, but it is hard when you know how much they dislike your husband and he wants nothing to do with them. My husband drinks all the time, some days more than others and he can get angry (he has never hurt me but its always mental abuse/angry screaming fights). I have such anxiety, and some days such depression I can barely move. I barely leave the house on the weekends, I'm embarrassed at having no money, at being in this situation, at being so much of disappointment to everyone around me. I want the best for my son, I want him to be happy and healthy and well educated and go as far as he can. I just don't know what to do anymore.

sistersister heartbroken post breakup
  • replies: 11

Hi everyone! I'm new here and have just recently broken up with my partner of 2 years the past Sunday. My partner had moved overseas 7 months ago and we where "having ago" at a long distance relationship. I went to visit him earlier this month for a ... View more

Hi everyone! I'm new here and have just recently broken up with my partner of 2 years the past Sunday. My partner had moved overseas 7 months ago and we where "having ago" at a long distance relationship. I went to visit him earlier this month for a couple of weeks, The moment I arrived I felt very out of place with him and that I no longer fitted into his life there. I was hoping that we would discuss my moving over to be with him there but it went the opposite way. Upon my return home all I have done this week is cry and sleep. I know in time I will feel better but I just feel so heartbroken and alone and I am having trouble being able to move past that. All I have done the past 5 days is sleep because it's the only time I don't cry.

Loveisfluid Feeling Helpless
  • replies: 1

Hi, I'm 27 yo living with my partner of nearly 2 1/2 years, my 16 yo brother in law and his 16 yo friend. I have been struggling with both depression and anxiety for almost 2 years. In that time I have also had 2 mental breakdowns and have left multi... View more

Hi, I'm 27 yo living with my partner of nearly 2 1/2 years, my 16 yo brother in law and his 16 yo friend. I have been struggling with both depression and anxiety for almost 2 years. In that time I have also had 2 mental breakdowns and have left multiple jobs. Before my relationship, I had the seemingly perfect family and friends. A lot has gone on and none of my family or friends have taken the time to know my partner or take any interest in my new life and have completely disappeared. I have no one to talk to other than my partner, her brother and her family, which is extremely difficult. We struggle financially and the guilt I feel for not working anymore kills me. I feel useless. I am starting to get angry more often and more quickly than ever before. I am getting physical towards my partner who I am certain left me this morning. I am not a violent person, I have never been THIS angry in my life. I am taking all my anger towards myself, my family, my failures out on my partner and I need it to stop. I have no one else to reach out too so I thought this might be a good idea. Thank you in advance.

Rosieglow Feeling lonely
  • replies: 5

This is my second post,somehow my first got into the wrong box. So. Let me introduce myself. At 76,I once again find myself in the grip of anxiety bordering on Panic. I have been in Oz 15 years, was once active but now find myself not knowing a singl... View more

This is my second post,somehow my first got into the wrong box. So. Let me introduce myself. At 76,I once again find myself in the grip of anxiety bordering on Panic. I have been in Oz 15 years, was once active but now find myself not knowing a single soul, my daughter and son live close by and have their own problems without me being added to them. Some time in the future I will move to Malta, but in the meantime I have to adjust to living on my own again

Mermaid007 He's stringing me on after breaking up bc of my traditional family
  • replies: 12

I'm not sure how many similar threads there are but here's what's happening in my life. I've been with a guy now for 8 months but even before then we went on dates and we used to talk. Before we got into a relationship I made it very clear that I hav... View more

I'm not sure how many similar threads there are but here's what's happening in my life. I've been with a guy now for 8 months but even before then we went on dates and we used to talk. Before we got into a relationship I made it very clear that I have strict traditional parents. He was willing to take that risk. However, recently he's said that it's just too much, that he can't handle the negativity from my family, that they are bringing him down. My family won't accept him because he doesn't go to church while my family is very traditional. I used to see him without telling my family because on the odd occasion that they knew what was happening they would explode. Mum would be hysterical telling me how much of a sin it is to marry a non believer, she'd get migraines and worry to the point where she would be physically sick. He broke up with me because he didn't want to be destroying my life at home, but also because he wanted to have a relationship where the other family would appreciate and respect him. I'm angry that it took him 8 moths to realise the extent of tradition in my family but at the same time I need to understand that a person can only handle so much. What bothers me most is that he still talks to me. After breaking up he still says that he loves me and that he can't stand the idea of anyone else even touching me. If his feelings towards me are so strong why did he leave? He's giving me false hope. He says it feels right to be apart right now even though he misses me but that one day he would even consider to marry me??? He still wants to talk once a week. It really hurts, I know that every break up does but I can't move on. If it's over it should be over for good but he still talks to me. I'm hoping that he will come back to me even though he's said he's made the right decision. He's sending me mixed messages. He doesn't want to say that we've broken up, he says we're just 'two lovers who can't be together'. I am so confused. I know that my family has been a negative in his life but at the same time I can't help but feel that he's putting too much blame on them. Before we were together he'd tell me how hollow and empty he feels. I think those feeling are coming back, that he is looking for something to blame. I know other people who despite religion/tradition are still together. He can't keep on telling me how much I mean to him if he broke up with me. I'm scared that if I completely cut him off then he'll be hurt.

eafie I don't know what's good for me or him
  • replies: 3

Hi, I've been with my partner for nearly two years now, since we finished highschool. Things were never drastically romantic or heartfelt in anyway, and that was okay. We've been addicted to cannabis our entire relationship, and it has established a ... View more

Hi, I've been with my partner for nearly two years now, since we finished highschool. Things were never drastically romantic or heartfelt in anyway, and that was okay. We've been addicted to cannabis our entire relationship, and it has established a subsequent co-dependency. He works full-time, I'm studying paramedics full-time and cleaning. We have been 'living' together for nearly a year now. I don't have any posessions here (his home), but I cook and clean for him and buy groceries etc. I study at my 'home' when he works during the day, and come over at night to cook and clean. Problems arise due to the time I spend here being only used for cooking and cleaning and sitting behind him while he games. He tells me he feels smothered, due to working all day and coming home to spend time with me. I feel neglected, due to the fact he doesn't speak to me when we are together, or speaks over me while he Skypes his friends every night. He ignores me physically, turned away from me for up to 6 hours +, not speaking to me, ignoring my messages during the day.. we don't converse and he deliberately refuses to respond when I try to talk about such issues... He has never shown an interest in my passions, problems, or life in general. I don't have a single friend.. I rarely see my family. My 'home' is unoccupied 90% of the time due to my mothers travel. My partner is the only person i've had regular contact with for over 8 months.. I would leave him alone, I really wish I had the willpower but if I don't speak to him, I go days without human contact, and that doesn't bother him at all. It kills me that he is so uninterested in helping me become what he wants, he only demands it. I self harmed for nearly a decade, and have survived suicide attempts and am now suffering with unemployment due to severe scarring and physical limitations from a spinal operation. He condescends my inability to get work, speaks down to me constantly, accuses me of things I would never do and assumes the worst... All i want is for him to be happy.. no matter how hard i try i can't do it.. I'm too poor to provide him anything or pay him proper rent and i feel absolutely awful, i try to do things for him like buy groceries and cook for him and clean but i only receive ignorance.. i don't know what to do.. i don't want to be alone or locked up again.. but i don't want to be a burden anymore

Janksie Hoarding in laws
  • replies: 2

Hi, I'm sorry I have been lost for a while, my crawling toddler takes a lot of my time. Anyway I have been feeling very frustrated and I want to speak it out because it gets me very depressed. I live with my in laws. Before I continue my story, I jus... View more

Hi, I'm sorry I have been lost for a while, my crawling toddler takes a lot of my time. Anyway I have been feeling very frustrated and I want to speak it out because it gets me very depressed. I live with my in laws. Before I continue my story, I just wanted to say that there is no way I can move out because of my husband and culture reasons. Secondly in our culture we don't talk directly to our inlaws. Thirdly, my husband is very attached to his parents, he will not do anything to change things even if I say it. anyway back to my point,my in laws are hoarders. We live in this beautiful house that looks beautiful from outside but inside it is like a slum market, there are things everywhere, old things from 40 years ago to present. My room and my baby's room are the only cleanest rooms in the house. We have a kitchen that has 5 fridges that are fully crammed with food. We have a living room and study room etc that are fully filled with stuff that you have very little space to walk in between to get what you want. My in laws have separate rooms because their rooms are so filled up they they both can't fit in their rooms. Every day I wake up and see this I feel disgusted and put off with life, I have tried talking about it but no one wants to do anything. My worry is my son, my son is too small to understand anything, but as he grows will this be his childhood? Will this hoarding be normal to him? Will he be like that because everyone is like that? My family members never go out anywhere we are always forever at home, it has been many months since I went anywhere and that was for my son appointment. I have become used to it for 8 years now. I am a housewife and don't work. I haven't got my driving licence yet. i worry that my son will be like them and I don't think I can handle it. When I try to clean myself they all get angry because they can't find their stuff. how do I get rid of this frustration and the feelings I have? anyway I just wanted to let it out. Thankyou for reading.