Relationship and family issues

Anything to do with managing relationships and family, including parenting, separation, loneliness, divorce, family and friendships.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: 3 important tips to get the most out of this section
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following... View more

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following 3 tips: 1. Do you really want to share this with the world? This is a public forum. Are you thinking of posting something that could identify you to a friend or family member? Once you've posted, you can't delete what you've written and we don't take posts down from here unless they've broken one of our community rules. This is because our members spend a lot of time composing replies, and there is a much wider audience that gets a lot out of reading what has been written. It's not fair to ask the community for support, then ask to have it removed once you've read it so others can't also benefit. Use discretion when posting here - think about the level of detail you are sharing, and think also about who might know you are posting here. Also, please keep it clean: this is an all ages forum and explicit discussions about sexual problems are not permitted. Threads and posts of this nature will be removed and your account placed on a moderation hold. 2. What do you want to get out of posting here? Relationship and family issues are stressful. Members sometimes post here seeking advice about a relationship that has broken down, but find themselves getting upset when they don't agree with the response they get. This is a peer support forum, meaning we are not mental health professionals. We are people of all ages and backgrounds, with a wide range of life experiences. While we aim for our discussions to be conducted respectfully, people here will respond with the truth as they see it, from their own experiences and perspectives. We are not here to take sides. Offence is almost never intentional, but it can be sometimes taken. The advice you will see here is not intended to be a substitute for professional counselling. 3. What other support do you have? Most people posting on our forums (about any issue) use this space as a supplement to other supports. This forum is not and cannot be a substitute for offline supports, but it is often a good place to start the ball rolling and find the courage for seeking help. If you are relying solely on an internet forum to resolve your relationship or family issues, you are likely to be disappointed. Check out the Healthy Homes section of our Healthy Families website for further information and resources.

All discussions

Travgf Physically and mentally crippled
  • replies: 5

First of all, this is the first time I've done anything like this so it's quite daunting and I'm not sure how to begin, but I'm tired of being the way I am. I am 28, I have borderline personality disorder, extreme depression and anxiety which I have ... View more

First of all, this is the first time I've done anything like this so it's quite daunting and I'm not sure how to begin, but I'm tired of being the way I am. I am 28, I have borderline personality disorder, extreme depression and anxiety which I have suffered from since I was around 13. 3 years ago I was seriously injured at work and I have been in pain (even though I'm on pain killers) ever since. I was in a relationship when I got injured and the relationship was good for a while, although she was mentally abusive,until my ex found out that I would not be getting a payout from WorkCover and she ended things. In regards to the relationship I am much better off without her and she doesn't affect my life in any way now. However, while in that relationship, and due to my inability to do much without being in a lot of pain, I have lost ALL of my friends, and the one person I did talk to I fell in love with and she has now ended the relationship. Although she says she "loves me" and hopes that we can be together in the future once both of our issues are under control. I feel as though she is just trying to spare my feelings. I sit alone in my room all day, speaking with no one and anytime I reach out for help on social media I get nothing. I am incredibly lonely, I despise myself, I have no hope that anything good will ever happen to me, I ALWAYS take anything anyone says in a negative way and I am so socially awkward and terrified of meeting new people. I feel like I'm a burden on my mum as she is the only person who speaks to me. I need help, badly. I have probably forgotten a lot of things, my mind is just all over the place and I don't know how to fix it, or me.

Krisv6 My anxiety is affecting my relationship
  • replies: 2

I am not in the easiest relationship but I'm in one that's worth it. My partner has suffered in abusive relationships in the past which cause her to be irrational and have anger outbursts. Usually I would remain patient and be understanding at times ... View more

I am not in the easiest relationship but I'm in one that's worth it. My partner has suffered in abusive relationships in the past which cause her to be irrational and have anger outbursts. Usually I would remain patient and be understanding at times where she feels angry, irrational and is difficult to talk to. She does not want to be ignored but when she's suffering it can be difficult on me with things that she says to me. Im currently doing by best to address my anxiety which has recently spiralled to a point where I'm reaching out. My anxiety is taking the form of my relationship right now. I've lost my ability to remain calm and patient when she goes through rough days when she has outburstst and mood changes. I fear them at the moment because I don't know what the right way to approach them is. I often feel inadequate that I'm having difficulty dealing with them now and fearful of the next one. How do I remain centred when I know that reaching out is the right thing to do but I have to be persistent through being ignored and pushed away? What is the right away to approach a victim of past abuse when they are going through a rough stage?

Saphira Going through a mutual breakup and constant anxiety about living on my own
  • replies: 14

I'm 25 and going through a mutal split with a guy I have been with for 2 1/2 years, I live and work in Sydney and all my family and friends are over an hour away. I had always been a very independant person and also a big commitment-phobe and since b... View more

I'm 25 and going through a mutal split with a guy I have been with for 2 1/2 years, I live and work in Sydney and all my family and friends are over an hour away. I had always been a very independant person and also a big commitment-phobe and since being in this relationship (he's a lovely guy) I've become dependant on him for everything really! He would always help out financially, emotional support, extremely handy with mechanics or absolutely anything I couldn't do and now I'm faced with moving to a place on my own and the anxiety is getting worse by the day, I'm moving in with family and will make the long daily commute to work every day for about a month I think to have friends and family close by while I process this and get my head straight but then I'll be on my own! Just hoping to find people that have been through a similar situation.

CharlotteS My partner says he is not in love with me anymore
  • replies: 6

Yes I know it's common to hear that, but there we no signs, a complete bombshell and it was blurted out without warning. We have been living together for 4 years both after very difficult marriage breakups where both our exes suffered from depression... View more

Yes I know it's common to hear that, but there we no signs, a complete bombshell and it was blurted out without warning. We have been living together for 4 years both after very difficult marriage breakups where both our exes suffered from depression. Sonehow we have created a happy blended family of 5 boys (me two, he three), they all get on great! There have been no signs of him being unhappy in the relationship at all, only the weekend prior to the bombshell we had a romantic getaway and intimacy was no problem. He saw a doctor today and will be seeing a psychologist to try and work out his unhappiness. His work has been very stressful which hasn't helped. Is there hope after your partner has told you they are not in love with you anymore? I love him more than anything, I just don't understand it all

Only_the_lonely Am I expecting too much in my relationship???

As long as I remember, from primary school, I as always happy to help out in the family. I remember getting up, going to the shop to buy bread, making sandwiches for my siblings, polishing their school shoes and helping mum and dad around the house. ... View more

As long as I remember, from primary school, I as always happy to help out in the family. I remember getting up, going to the shop to buy bread, making sandwiches for my siblings, polishing their school shoes and helping mum and dad around the house. I was always inquisitive about life and how things worked. I loved to get my hands dirty. Unfortunately, my dad did not teach me much, although he used to work on his car or gardening, he did not explain what he was doing and how he done it. Anyway, to cut the long story short, I am married for 20 odd years. Have two lovely daughters and I am a dedicated dad and hubby. I also work from home so I am happy to pick the kids up from school, I usually prepare dinners, work around the house, vacuum, mop, clean, hang clothes, iron clothes, maintain the yard, make beds etc. I will do any work around the home since I am always there. I have come to realise that my wife does not appreciate the work that I do. Firstly, I thought its just human nature to take each other for granted. Lately I have discovered that I am not happy as I don't feel appreciated around the house. When I do something, I make sure I do a good job of it, either being cooking, cleaning or anything else so I am no sloppy worker. I am a very sensitive person who likes simple things in life but I am also old fashioned who likes to be thanked and appreciated. I love my wife and most mornings, I make breakfast, make kids lunches, even drop them if she is getting late but I feel she is so cold. Sometimes I see her parents and I see her dad being so cold towards her mum so I think its in her genes to act that way. This morning, I made her poached eggs on toast with avocado and tea. I don't even get a thank you and its been like this for a long time. Maybe I am expecting too much but I only want a thank you and not much. Two days ago I pulled a calf muscle in the park and she let me walk back whilst she walked back home. I told her that I felt she is not empathic towards me but she said I was being sissy. I am lucky to get a cup of tea made by somebody else unless I ask, but I do it for them everyday. What do you think? Am I expecting too much as I do give a lot but only feel I am taken for granted.

YungAl Relationship Insecurities
  • replies: 7

Hello there.. I want to know that I am not alone..I am very very insecure..Im npt overweight or particularly unnattractive (according to others, not me), I am great with people, confidently spoken, I just actually hate myself most of the time. My iss... View more

Hello there.. I want to know that I am not alone..I am very very insecure..Im npt overweight or particularly unnattractive (according to others, not me), I am great with people, confidently spoken, I just actually hate myself most of the time. My issue is that I get panic attacks and particularly down when people, especially my close mates or boyfriend, talk about how attractive other girls are. I struggle to watch movies because there are almost always attractive girls in them. I dont know why I am like this..i find girls attractive as much as the next person but it really really affects me to the point I am so scared of meeting my boyfriend's mates because I KNOW they will say oh hey check this chick out blah blah and I will have an anxiety attack in front of them. Help me please ive felt this way for ten years

Kentish man Sadness, Anger, Fear, Sadness

Hello, I'm new to this and am wondering what I'm to do. I've read a few other posts and see there are some really sad people out there apart from me and I truly empathise with them. Mine is an ongoing kind of long story, longer than the 2263 characte... View more

Hello, I'm new to this and am wondering what I'm to do. I've read a few other posts and see there are some really sad people out there apart from me and I truly empathise with them. Mine is an ongoing kind of long story, longer than the 2263 characters I have remaining, but it involves a wayward daughter who used ice, who broke into our house, stole articles and prescription drugs, called me a shit dad and disgusting father (for why I have no idea as I had always tried to be the opposite). My wife is recovering from breast cancer, is having a bad run of things and is still not back at work after 9 months. There is more little bits to this story, and I'm not trying to be "hard done by" here, but things are now piling up on my doorstep, the wife has forgiven the daughter, has taken to religion, and I'm the worst thing because..... I've been to a psychologist before, over the daughters behavioural problems, she wasn't able to offer me much advice apart from breathing excercises. I'm on antidepressants and feel that they are just not working anymore, or at least not enough!! My wife is now on a spending spree and keeps telling me to cut spending! I'm just very down about the whole thing now and am looking for a way out, 13 years of abuse from our daughter, now I feel as if my wife through her problems is "deserting me". After writing this down, I feel a bit pathetic, but wish I could get off the world anyway.

Joker1 Helping a teen

I have an older teen struggling to find a place in the world, unable to go to school due to not finding it educationally fulfilling, and not knowing where to turn to about finding suitable part time work. are there any suggestions of who to talk to a... View more

I have an older teen struggling to find a place in the world, unable to go to school due to not finding it educationally fulfilling, and not knowing where to turn to about finding suitable part time work. are there any suggestions of who to talk to and how to offer her a path of assistance. ? thankyou

allyjane85 My depression is ruining my relationship

Hi all, I am new here and in all honesty I'm quite new to having depression. I've always had ups and downs and felt things very deeply.. but after a combination of events over the last few years (an affair by my parent with a close family friend and ... View more

Hi all, I am new here and in all honesty I'm quite new to having depression. I've always had ups and downs and felt things very deeply.. but after a combination of events over the last few years (an affair by my parent with a close family friend and a toxic relationship with someone who constantly picked out my flaws) I have found myself in a very dark place and I can't seem to get out. I have seen a psychologist but I don't think she is right for me. I am going to book in this week to get a new referral. The worst thing is the way this is affecting my boyfriend, he is so kind and understanding and patient. This should be a happy time for us, we are both in our late 20's and living together. I have just come to the realisation that I have been treating him very poorly. I don't love myself, I look at myself and I hate who I am both physically and mentally. I believe no one likes me. Because I don't love myself some days I feel that I don't have the strength to love anyone else. I have no energy to do anything. I have been nasty, I criticise him constantly when all he does is support me. This weekend he finally cracked, he told me I am not nice to him and I don't make him feel good anymore. I am devastated that I have been treating him this way. I guess I have known that I have been doing this. The only way I can explain is it's like I have 2 brains- 1 is hateful and says mean things and is stressed all the time about stupid things and the other is trying to stay calm and tell the other that it's being awful. I don't know if this makes sense? I guess my question is, can depression make you a mean horrible person who can't feel love some days- or is this just who I am? Any advice would be so appreciated. I don't want to lose him and I wouldn't blame him for walking away right now.