Relationship and family issues

Anything to do with managing relationships and family, including parenting, separation, loneliness, divorce, family and friendships.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: 3 important tips to get the most out of this section
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following... View more

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following 3 tips: 1. Do you really want to share this with the world? This is a public forum. Are you thinking of posting something that could identify you to a friend or family member? Once you've posted, you can't delete what you've written and we don't take posts down from here unless they've broken one of our community rules. This is because our members spend a lot of time composing replies, and there is a much wider audience that gets a lot out of reading what has been written. It's not fair to ask the community for support, then ask to have it removed once you've read it so others can't also benefit. Use discretion when posting here - think about the level of detail you are sharing, and think also about who might know you are posting here. Also, please keep it clean: this is an all ages forum and explicit discussions about sexual problems are not permitted. Threads and posts of this nature will be removed and your account placed on a moderation hold. 2. What do you want to get out of posting here? Relationship and family issues are stressful. Members sometimes post here seeking advice about a relationship that has broken down, but find themselves getting upset when they don't agree with the response they get. This is a peer support forum, meaning we are not mental health professionals. We are people of all ages and backgrounds, with a wide range of life experiences. While we aim for our discussions to be conducted respectfully, people here will respond with the truth as they see it, from their own experiences and perspectives. We are not here to take sides. Offence is almost never intentional, but it can be sometimes taken. The advice you will see here is not intended to be a substitute for professional counselling. 3. What other support do you have? Most people posting on our forums (about any issue) use this space as a supplement to other supports. This forum is not and cannot be a substitute for offline supports, but it is often a good place to start the ball rolling and find the courage for seeking help. If you are relying solely on an internet forum to resolve your relationship or family issues, you are likely to be disappointed. Check out the Healthy Homes section of our Healthy Families website for further information and resources.

All discussions

Guest_1584 How to cope with ex w's new man around my daughter - can be a chat thread for others if interested.
  • replies: 31

So many things now and over this last 6yrs,l feel as though people here might thing l'm making stuff up but ha, l wish !. We separated 5yrs ago,divorced 3y ago. together 19yrs. It was hell the first few yrs separating and although our marriage had be... View more

So many things now and over this last 6yrs,l feel as though people here might thing l'm making stuff up but ha, l wish !. We separated 5yrs ago,divorced 3y ago. together 19yrs. It was hell the first few yrs separating and although our marriage had been rough and l was no saint in our last few yrs, l wanted to save it , especially for my daughter and it was the hardest thing l have ever been through in my life. Well, ex met some guy , 6wks before we separated , 6wks compared to our 19yrs and our family. She starts seeing him full time when she moved out and had my daughter 60% of the time too , but we agreed that this guy or any future partners hers or mine were not allowed to be around my daughter until she was 16. She was 12 when we split, she's 16 now. Well , ex has married the guy. l won't go into this part here it's too long but as yet though they still don't live together and my daughter and ex still have there own unit. But ex does spend a lot of time over at his house, 12mins away, and just in this last few mths he's started being around my daughter and they take her places. It still makes me sick to the stomach, this is the guy that basically destroyed my family, and now he's taking them around in his car, my daughter even helped them with painting his house. Well , there's also been a couple of times they dropped her of here at my place too now. it just makes me puke , here's this guy and now ex's hub' bringing my daughter to me at my place. l dunno lf l'm being a big baby after 5yrs but it just feels like another knife in the heart every time. l don't want this guy at my house or with my daughter and l don't know how to deal with it or cope with it. l can;t help it or l don't know how too anyway. ex and l have worked well with parenting together right through but l fear that iif l was to ask her to keep him the hell away from my place and to bring my daughter herself, she might crack and make things hard me and my daughter,. it doesn't matter what rules or laws are in place , there are things a mother can easily do just by doing nothing at all even , tp make it harder and block the father in all sorts of ways. l don't really deal with ex as far as my daughter goes much anymore , it's mainly me and d organize our plans these days phone or text. Although we've kept most spite/bs out of this last 5yrs, she can still make things very awkward if l asked her this and it pissed her off. l just don't know, but seeing him rock up here makes me sick

Leighshan My husband has developed an Ice (Crystal Meth) and Sex Addiction and left me and our two children to pick up the pieces.
  • replies: 8

Four days ago I found out that my husband, who I love and adore, has been smoking Ice and meeting strangers for sex for at least the last two months. We have a one year old and two year old and I have been home on maternity for the past two and a hal... View more

Four days ago I found out that my husband, who I love and adore, has been smoking Ice and meeting strangers for sex for at least the last two months. We have a one year old and two year old and I have been home on maternity for the past two and a half years during which I thought would be the best time of my life, but it has all gone miserably wrong. I have been seeing a counselor for the last year to help with depression which I have always struggled with. This was bought on by feelings of isolation as we don't have family in Australia and also because I wanted to stay home full time but struggled to find other mums who were doing the same in my area. My husband has been extremely supportive during this and always puts myself and the children before himself. Over the past year though, despite him being supportive, he has also been going through a stressful work situation and has become argumentative, emotionally and verbally abusive and unpredictable in regard to his mood. I have tried and tried to encourage him to seek help but it just kept falling on deaf ears. Now, here I am, devasted as I have found out what he has been up to behind my back. Today he checked in to a detox facility and insists that he will do anything he can to regain my trust so that he can come back home and be my husband and a father to his beautiful children again. I am just so exhausted after a week of absolute devastation and feel so lost as what to do. I am seeing a counselor for myself and my husband and I will be embarking on relationship counseling when he is discharged from detox, as well as he will be involved in an outpatient program for drug and alcohol abuse, as well as the sex addiction. I am in between counseling sessions and my husband is off in detox and I'm am just feeling so much pain right now, I am looking for extra support on this forum and advice and encouragement to help me find the strength to keep putting one foot in front of the other during this time. I have had family fly in from overseas to help me for a couple of weeks, so I am not looking after a baby and toddler full time alone, but that time will come soon and I need to be prepared and put some systems in place to ensure my children aren't affected and their lives continue to be happy and healthy despite the traumatic time their parents are going through. My heart aches and as someone who already struggles with depression, I am looking for all the support I can possible get right now.

Guest_2290 Feel silly and lonely
  • replies: 2

Hi, I dont know how to start this so ill just come out with it. Ive fallen for and cant get over my best friend. Ive never been with her and the whole time ive had feelings for her(over 12 months now) she has had a boyfriend. They now have a 2 month ... View more

Hi, I dont know how to start this so ill just come out with it. Ive fallen for and cant get over my best friend. Ive never been with her and the whole time ive had feelings for her(over 12 months now) she has had a boyfriend. They now have a 2 month old baby together and I hardly see her anymore and we only chat through phone calls or text but still I cant get over her...Over the last few days I stopped myself from texting and phoning her or commenting on any of her social media posts(not the first time I have done this) but I just feel guilty that im doing wrong by a friend and I always end up texting or calling her. I feel ridiculous, frustrated and annoyed at myself because I have never been with her, never even kissed her and even though im distancing myself and our lives are going in totally different directions, I still cant get over her. I have tried dating websites and going to parties and social outings with other mates but with no luck...

Sharmeen Never Felt Close to Anyone Except One
  • replies: 3

Hello Everyone, I am 24 year old, female and moved to Australia about a year ago. I have felt lonely pretty much most of my life. I had a bad childhood, I was sexually abused. I could never tell anyone, not even my family. I was sometimes beaten up b... View more

Hello Everyone, I am 24 year old, female and moved to Australia about a year ago. I have felt lonely pretty much most of my life. I had a bad childhood, I was sexually abused. I could never tell anyone, not even my family. I was sometimes beaten up by my father and those are the only memories I have of my childhood. I have never felt any attachment with my parents, never miss them nor do I miss any of my friends in the past. I feel I am stuck in the time where those bad incidences of my childhood took place. I still cry about those times, get dreams about them. I talk to my dad normally just superficial. I feel I can never forgive him and also my mom for never protecting me. I always resist people. Never want to get any close to anyone. I can't make a conversation of more than a min with any of them. In fact, I can't make a personal conversation with anyone. This is the first time I am even talking about this. I met this amazing man about 5 years ago. We both love each other like anything but I can't speak my heart out to him even after spending a long time with him. But i guess at this time I am resisting him too. I push him away all the time, say rude things on his face when I know I do not mean them. I no more enjoy sex . In fact, I hate it when he touches me. I feel disgusted and also sometimes I him back to push him away. I am okay with cuddling but when he tries something more than that, I resist. In my head I think does he just want this from me? I never get a desire to have sex on the other hand. I know he loves me but I feel I am hiding so much from him that I am not myself. He sleeps just next to me and I am still lonely. It is hard to believe but I feel I have not experienced happiness for a very long time. I have read a lot about depression and have done many online test for it. I am not sure how should I tell my GP or how do I even start a conversation? I feel like I am stuck at that very place where those bad things happened. I thought I will move places and I will be better but I am still stuck there. Just want to know if this is a medical condition or I have to live with this forever? I want to make things work with this person because he is only one I care about, only one whom I miss, only one I feel attached to. I hope reading other's opinions may give me a start and I could lead a happy life or at least take a step toward making my life better.

No_Grey_Areas Contact with Ex Wife - never while I am around
  • replies: 9

We've been married for a year and half (both second marriages). He has two adult children (27 and 30 year old). Hubby and I have had some huge big ugly arguments over his texting to his ex wife. He has let her know I am uncomfortable with it and I ha... View more

We've been married for a year and half (both second marriages). He has two adult children (27 and 30 year old). Hubby and I have had some huge big ugly arguments over his texting to his ex wife. He has let her know I am uncomfortable with it and I have seen texts to him in which she highlights how texting will get him into trouble - but then proceeds to text or text a time for a call. I have told hubby that he should never discuss my issues/ insecurities with his ex/ another woman!!! NEVER. She knows how I feel: yet continues to. We had a huge big ugly argument over the texting recently: it's never when I am around. No contact at all when I am around. Always when I am at work or out of home. In the recent argument, I told husband to let me in - let me know when he wants to contact her, about what or that she has made contact with him. Although it will be uncomfortable, at least it is not hidden. Step daughter (who the mum lives with) totally snubbed me at family get together and started a conversation with her Dad: Mum said she had messaged you...... It felt like a double whammy. The daughter will know that I have a contact issue with the ex (living with mum and all), and yet chose to bring it up at that time. Husband did NOT tell me of any contact - yet we agreed he would...... I felt like a huge outsider sitting with his family at the table. Everything stopped.... I had to walk away and did not return to table (went home). Am I wrong for feeling like an outsider? He seems to have made it clear that I am not in his family; yet encourages me to gatherings.... why? Why did step daughter do this! She knew full well the issues we have with her mum contacting her dad..... I am mad, hurt and want to walk away from it all. Hubby says I am treating him like poo. PS: he then told me what ex had texted, but only because it had come to light. He had NO intention of telling me otherwise (he even deleted text evidence from his phone).

kath92 Literally feeling like there's no hope.
  • replies: 4

Hi all, new to beyondblue - I have tried everything and am at wits end so thought maybe venting to strangers and hearing other stories might shed some light on my situation. My baby daddy and I have recently split up - due to my anger, unfaithfulness... View more

Hi all, new to beyondblue - I have tried everything and am at wits end so thought maybe venting to strangers and hearing other stories might shed some light on my situation. My baby daddy and I have recently split up - due to my anger, unfaithfulness, lying, drinking and all round abusivness towards him. We have an almost 2 year old who we have shared custody, she lives with me he has her twice a week. He's a wonderful dad and a great man whom I don't want to lose. After our daughter goes to bed I tend to self medicate and have some wine, which I know isn't healthy (for me because I'm starting to abuse it) I find I have suppressed anger from incidents as a child (both my parents are alcoholics) and my failing relationship with my child's father. I am on medication which I feel does Near to nothing for me and another medication for epilepsy although I feel it makes me angry which is strange as it's used as a mood disorder medication. It also makes me so tired and I struggle to get out of bed in the morning. Last night I had been drinking and was so angry over bills, not being able to find work.. my ex came over and we chatted and I started getting angry so he left. This made me angrier and I rang him and said "if you don't come back I am going to strangle our daughter". I am so deeply ashamed to even type those words, I am so ashamed to even repeat them and am most certainly never going to hurt my child. I love my daughter so much and I honestly see myself as a great mother. I would NEVER hurt her, can't even imagine doing something so insane as that, but I said it because I was angry, wanting my way and because I am a spoilt BRAT. My ex did cheat on me and I have suppressed feelings about that. I use it against him and in this case I used our daughter against him and I am so disgusted and realise that is it something to throw around and say. I am embarrassed and I hate myself. I say this as I think that's what my problem is? I have OCD, I check my daughter and her breathing every hour... my psychiatrist doesn't listen to me he insists I'm fine but these thoughts or threats to get my way are not normal! I feel crazy

Missberri Losing relationships
  • replies: 6

Hi, I'm not sure if this is that much of a problem but it's been effecting me a lot lately so I wanted to get some advice. Lately I feel like I've been very alone.. and I dont know how it's making me feel. I've been studying at uni and working so muc... View more

Hi, I'm not sure if this is that much of a problem but it's been effecting me a lot lately so I wanted to get some advice. Lately I feel like I've been very alone.. and I dont know how it's making me feel. I've been studying at uni and working so much and it's been keeping me so busy that I haven't even noticed that I just haven't been spending any time with anyone lately. I'm starting to feel kind of miserable.. like I'm just working and studying then working then studying it's like i have almost no enjoyment in my life. I used to be really really close with a few of my friends. Recently, my closest friend left to go to Pakistan and get married and I have no idea when he's coming back and honestly I'll probably never see him again because we both loved each other but it can obviously never go anywhere. Aaand that makes me feel pretty upset.. He hasn't been in contact with me much for the past few months since he knew he was going to get married and he hasn't contacted me at all since he left. It's just been really difficult not having him to talk to anymore.. A few of my other friends I feel are starting to pull away from me too.. which really sucks. I have one friend who I used to see all the time and he always used to text and call me, but lately he just hasn't really bothered. I didn't talk to him for about 2 weeks thinking he went out of the state to visit his family to find out he was here the entire time! He never even told me he came back! He just told me hes been so busy that he didn't tell me.. And it sucks because i thought i was starting to get feelings for him and now it feels like he doesn't even care. A few of my other friends I feel have been acting this way towards me as well and I dont know what to do about it. I feel as if I'm just boring now because all i do is work and study and they dont want to be around me.. I'm starting to feel anxious now whenever I'm around them because I feel like I'm not being entertaining enough and im just messing the friendships up even more.. It's just making me feel really down and really empty and not like myself.. I just wish I knew how to tell if any of them still care about me and if there's anything i can do to fix things because I dont want to keep losing people I know it all sounds really stupid but i just dont want to lose people i care about and i really dont know what to do

River_storm He left but now wants to come back
  • replies: 7

Hi, First time posting, my expartner and I have a daughter together who is 4, we both have children from previous relationships. Been together for 5.5years. He had left me about 11months ago and then we got back together a couple of months after that... View more

Hi, First time posting, my expartner and I have a daughter together who is 4, we both have children from previous relationships. Been together for 5.5years. He had left me about 11months ago and then we got back together a couple of months after that and moved into a new place however, he left me for what I thought was for good again 3 months ago and is now saying he has changed his mind and realises how he can't live without me and the kids and that he is a new man and can see the error in his ways... But he wasn't emotionally available when I needed him this last time and I honestly thought he was certain it was over. I have in the last couple of months managed to pull myself together to get by the days but now that he has said he wants me back it's bought back my depression and anxiety. My family have had enough of seeing me in tears everytime he leaves or something is said, they don't want to see me go through it again. Yes I still love him but how do I know that he isn't just lonely and realises he has no one to come home too. I'm scared to make the wrong decision. He cries and messages me to say he can't cope and says he has no one to talk to only me... I've remained strong but it's taking its toll. I don't like to hurt people's feelings especially the ones you love but I feel pressured even when I've asked for time for myself. He sees the children and myself at the house for tea one night a week. He has the children 1 weekend a fortnight but he also sees me in that time. I have depended on him for my own happiness and contact each other daily.

Dillz1 Confused- depressed boyfriend.
  • replies: 7

Hi all, My boyfriend has just recently told me that he suffers from depression due to a few things that have happened in his life. Last week he messaged me saying he was having a bad day and didn't know if a relationship is what he wanted at the mome... View more

Hi all, My boyfriend has just recently told me that he suffers from depression due to a few things that have happened in his life. Last week he messaged me saying he was having a bad day and didn't know if a relationship is what he wanted at the moment and asked for space and told me he would speak to me the following day. I gave him space and the next day he was more willing to speak about it and told me he has gone through a similar thing before and not to take anything personally, and asked me to go to his. I went to his and he was quiet but willing to talk and told me about his past experiences, treatment, therapy.. I told him I was there for him no matter what and he was grateful. The next few days he was detached but still speaking, Friday night we did our usual date night and although it was hard to get him out once he was out it was ok. Sat and sun he turned his phone off and went away to clear his head. Monday he was not ok and didn't really want to speak. Today he has gotten more bad news which has put him in a worse place, he is now saying that all this isn't fair on me and I deserve to be happy. I told him I want to be there for him and will be there no matter what but he says it just isn't fair on me. He also said he is going to turn his phone off and not talk to anyone for a while. I don't know what I can and should do in this case, but I really want to be there for him. Please if anyone has any advice or similar situations I would be extremely grateful.

So_stuck_and_sad I stuffed my life up. So bad..
  • replies: 3

I was in a relationship that felt so right and I thought it would last forever.. A few years in and my feelings started to change. He did and said things that made me feel not good enough etc - I wont bore you with the entire story. I ended up cheati... View more

I was in a relationship that felt so right and I thought it would last forever.. A few years in and my feelings started to change. He did and said things that made me feel not good enough etc - I wont bore you with the entire story. I ended up cheating, and leaving for someone else. I feel like its the biggest mistake of my life. The person I left for is amazing.. So so good to me. But because of what I did the whole situation just doesnt sit right, no matter how good he is to me. My ex doesnt know I cheated but says he cant forgive me for leaving him and hurting him. I dont know who I want to be with. Not being with my ex feels so wrong. I feel like my life is empty without him. But I do love the person I am with now. I know I dotn deserve to be with either of them after what I did. How do I get over this? I feel like I dont deserve to be happy. Who does that to someone they love?