Relationship and family issues

Anything to do with managing relationships and family, including parenting, separation, loneliness, divorce, family and friendships.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: 3 important tips to get the most out of this section
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following... View more

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following 3 tips: 1. Do you really want to share this with the world? This is a public forum. Are you thinking of posting something that could identify you to a friend or family member? Once you've posted, you can't delete what you've written and we don't take posts down from here unless they've broken one of our community rules. This is because our members spend a lot of time composing replies, and there is a much wider audience that gets a lot out of reading what has been written. It's not fair to ask the community for support, then ask to have it removed once you've read it so others can't also benefit. Use discretion when posting here - think about the level of detail you are sharing, and think also about who might know you are posting here. Also, please keep it clean: this is an all ages forum and explicit discussions about sexual problems are not permitted. Threads and posts of this nature will be removed and your account placed on a moderation hold. 2. What do you want to get out of posting here? Relationship and family issues are stressful. Members sometimes post here seeking advice about a relationship that has broken down, but find themselves getting upset when they don't agree with the response they get. This is a peer support forum, meaning we are not mental health professionals. We are people of all ages and backgrounds, with a wide range of life experiences. While we aim for our discussions to be conducted respectfully, people here will respond with the truth as they see it, from their own experiences and perspectives. We are not here to take sides. Offence is almost never intentional, but it can be sometimes taken. The advice you will see here is not intended to be a substitute for professional counselling. 3. What other support do you have? Most people posting on our forums (about any issue) use this space as a supplement to other supports. This forum is not and cannot be a substitute for offline supports, but it is often a good place to start the ball rolling and find the courage for seeking help. If you are relying solely on an internet forum to resolve your relationship or family issues, you are likely to be disappointed. Check out the Healthy Homes section of our Healthy Families website for further information and resources.

All discussions

Allonme Husband and father suffering under weight of obligations
  • replies: 8

My wife was diagnosed as bipolar in her thirties after various family traumas as a young g girl, akin to PTSD. I don't see any mania or happy-times in her so think it's really just depression. She's on meds and manages well, but no libido and has fal... View more

My wife was diagnosed as bipolar in her thirties after various family traumas as a young g girl, akin to PTSD. I don't see any mania or happy-times in her so think it's really just depression. She's on meds and manages well, but no libido and has fallen out with her entire family. My son didn't finish year 12 as didn't cope with school/social pressures and borderline suicidal. Later diagnosed with high functioning autism - super high IQ, but terrible anxiety and quirky OCD traits. His younger brother doesn't understand and will not give him a break. I see my son's traits in myself and believe I am also on the spectrum, but find myself overwhelmed with the responsibility of keeping it all together for them all. Just lost my job, with no assets, and huge debts - and panicking about the immediate future. I feel like like my life is a facade and just want to curl up in the foetal position in the corner and scream.

OneSyllableJ Unfair on my partner
  • replies: 4

My anxiety has been bad of late and it's having an affect on my partner. I sometimes get easily worked up or over-emotional about comments that shouldn't matter, and if I don't know how to quickly process a situation/disagreement then I tend to get a... View more

My anxiety has been bad of late and it's having an affect on my partner. I sometimes get easily worked up or over-emotional about comments that shouldn't matter, and if I don't know how to quickly process a situation/disagreement then I tend to get anxious. My partner needs me to be strong and I feel like I am the opposite of strong at the moment.

Heather_Moon Lost
  • replies: 3

I have so much to say, but no one to say it to. I have no support what so ever that is anything from a professional talking and prescribing me pills. And this I can't do any more. I spend each day going forward, but always thinking of ending my own l... View more

I have so much to say, but no one to say it to. I have no support what so ever that is anything from a professional talking and prescribing me pills. And this I can't do any more. I spend each day going forward, but always thinking of ending my own life. I think about the positives and the responsibilities I have and that seems to keep me here. But I have no out for making my own life more than that. My soul is safe and secure but my body is weak and feels like dying. I talk to no one about any of what's going on and I don't have anyone to do so with. I feel like I'm living a lie and can't find the truth of my own existence anymore. Trauma and hurt have been coming at me since I was very, very young and no amount of thought or thinking its not my fault seems to truly help. Lately I've begun a path that may not be who I truly am but it keeps me here. And I guess now if I write these words or anything it can only help and maybe others with thoughts like this can help me at least see an easier way to cope. Thank you for reading.

I_am_LAA Sick, Alone and taken for granted
  • replies: 6

Unfortunately I have a bad immune system which means a slight cold for 1 person can turn to bronchitis for me and in this case Glandular Fever with Pneumonia - 8wks sick and counting These long periods of illness causes depression for me i separated ... View more

Unfortunately I have a bad immune system which means a slight cold for 1 person can turn to bronchitis for me and in this case Glandular Fever with Pneumonia - 8wks sick and counting These long periods of illness causes depression for me i separated from my husband (who emotionally wasn't the nicest) 2yrs ago. And my family is over east I am in WA so I have no support When I am well I work my ass off and bend over to help my family (3 teenagers). But when I am sick I get no support, not even from my kids I have just been told that I am not suppose to reply on them for support in anyway In doing so I am causing undue stress and depression to them. I will admit that it has been hard dealing with the emotional overflow from a bad marriage, and I did vent at my oldest daughter mostly in the first 6mths after the separation i just feel so lost, confused and alone

Sunbather Maintaining a relationship when I'm constantly anxious
  • replies: 2

Hey all, first post here and I already feel better just typing it out haha. I'm 25 and I've suffered from anxiety and depression for the better part of 10 years. I've had quite a few relationships and dated a lot, sometimes successfully, sometimes no... View more

Hey all, first post here and I already feel better just typing it out haha. I'm 25 and I've suffered from anxiety and depression for the better part of 10 years. I've had quite a few relationships and dated a lot, sometimes successfully, sometimes not. But I'm currently seeing someone whom I care for and love deeply. The first 3 months of our relationship were full of happiness and were so easy. Recently though, I feel my anxiety re-emerging and it taking an effect on the relationship. She has troubles dealing with it and doesn't communicate much about these things where as I'm an open book. The more anxious I get, the more anxious I get that it will affect the relationship. I really want it to work and I'm hoping to find some people who've dealt with similar situations who can maybe share some anecdotes or tips from their personal lives. Thanks in advance for listening to me ramble on! Jeremy

No_worries I cant bottle it up anymore.
  • replies: 10

This is the first time using a platform like this. I've never realy been a talker. Im not sure were to start. Maybe ill try from my childhood. I moved around a lot with my mother i never met my father he bailed while my mother was pregnant. Sorta sti... View more

This is the first time using a platform like this. I've never realy been a talker. Im not sure were to start. Maybe ill try from my childhood. I moved around a lot with my mother i never met my father he bailed while my mother was pregnant. Sorta still stings probably shouldn't. My mum was a drunk and very volatile. She had a lot of bf's and i dont blame her for trying to find happiness. But her decision to have drunks for bf's brought its own poison. Ive been chased with an axe. Shot at. Watched her get beaten and the list goes on. at this point as a child in grade four. Snapped ive broken one mans arm antagonized them to attack me instead even drove her drunk ass home once or twice. Obviously i resented her for making me violent and untrusting. I left home at 14 moved in with a lady who was friends with my mother for many years. She helped me through school but that came with its own problems being short tempered and angry didnt help. I was lucky to have a principal who understood my background. I eventually finished in year 10 got a well paying job. But with the money i drank did drugs and met a lot of women but i could never settle. The idea of being in a relationship disgusted me. In saying that i met a girl when i was 8. I eventually started dating her in highschool i wont go into detail but it didnt work out. I eventually spiraled from drink driving and having some bad crashes in and out of lockup from fighting. Fourth dui the judge said i was going to jail. I freaked out and put in for enlistment into the ADF he gave me one last chance. So i joined and thats a whole other story. While i was close to discharge i met a woman who made me feel things i didnt know i could and she never gave herself up even with my A game she was by all definitions a lady. I knew i loved her because i had no interest in other woman and she was on my mind all the time. Ive won awards for marksmanship but after meeting her i began to slip and loose focus. So instead of reinlisting i left. Three months after first date i asked her to marry me she said yes. We have a beautiful baby 4 month old girl now. im very successful in my job. But i now find her not talking to me she is angry sad and everything seems like its failing. I feel like a failure as a husband and father i work long hours and i love my daughter so mutch but im strugling to bond i dont talk about my past and i think all those bottles are breaking or broken im lost and not sure how to fix myself.

Boeing747 Not coping...2 weeks after a break up
  • replies: 5

My partner broke up with me out of the blue after nearly 3,5 years together just over 2 weeks ago. I have been a mess. I got on a flight the very next day to Bali and holed myself up in a hotel room to stop/block out the pain. Somehow I managed to ge... View more

My partner broke up with me out of the blue after nearly 3,5 years together just over 2 weeks ago. I have been a mess. I got on a flight the very next day to Bali and holed myself up in a hotel room to stop/block out the pain. Somehow I managed to get through 2 nights of hell to come back to Australia. He subsequently went to family in the ACT. He got back Wednesday and we have been communicating as we own a unit together and there is much to resolve. Before he got back I made a decision to move into a share house as it was not going to be good for my healing. The last 2 days have hit me badly and I am back to being a crying mess. Yesterday was the first time he actually saw me in such emotional pain. His reaction seemed cold and without feeling. He keeps saying he wants us to emerge from this as friends (and so do I) but I am sore so deep inside and am walking around in an absolute zombie state. My appetite has disappeared and I have lost 6kgs since he broke it off. I am utterly devastated and simply do not know how to cope with the anxiety and feeling of loss/grief. I am sick of hearing the clichés that time will heal your broken heart etc. It sounds empty, hollow and meaningless. I just want to move forward but seriously feel stuck right now.

CNFUZD We need help
  • replies: 1

Hi me and my partner have been through a lot in a year and half...I’ll ove her deeply and I’m sure she feels the same but I/we argue over silly things and I get horrible towards her...I’ve given her hell and I’m getting better but we still seem to ar... View more

Hi me and my partner have been through a lot in a year and half...I’ll ove her deeply and I’m sure she feels the same but I/we argue over silly things and I get horrible towards her...I’ve given her hell and I’m getting better but we still seem to argue...please our relationship need help cause I don’t wanna lose her and what we could have...

So_stuck_and_sad Stuck between long term partner(ex) and new parnter - HELP!
  • replies: 10

I will try keep this short. I was in a relationship for 3.5 years. We were best friends. Things started to change and I had a feeling in my heart that I wasnt happy. We were always aruging, never on the same page and I knew that my feelings were chan... View more

I will try keep this short. I was in a relationship for 3.5 years. We were best friends. Things started to change and I had a feeling in my heart that I wasnt happy. We were always aruging, never on the same page and I knew that my feelings were changing. I wasnt sexually attracted for a long time and he deserves to have someone that wants to have sex with him! I feel like I outgrew him as he can be super immature. I started falling for someone else that was also in an extremely unhappy relationship (worse then mine). He left his partner and I left mine. New partner has been amazing to me. His ex moved on straight away also. My ex wants me back all the time (he doesnt know about the new guy). I dont know if I made a mistake. I know I was so unhappy and he did a lot to push me away but I think I should have tried harder. I love both, but they are both so different and I see my life going in complete different directions with each. I know I would be happy with either one but maybe more happy and suited to my new partner. I feel like my ex is my home, but my new partner is more suited to me. I cant stand the thought of my ex being sad and alone. Everything I promised him I have now taken away from him, (buying a house, marriage, kids etc). The guilt kills me. It consumes me every day so bad sometimes i feel like I cant breath. I go to a psychologist once a week but im still so stuck. I just cannot make a decision. My new partner can feel my guilt and my confusion and it hurts me. He treats me so amazing he doesnt deserve my indecisiveness, guilt etc either. How do I make a decision? Even if I did go back to my ex theres too many lies etc now isnt there? How do I stop this from haunting me for the rest of my life? Or will this be my karma forever now? Sorry for the long sob story

Hippie_Girl High School Reunion
  • replies: 7

Hi wonderful souls, I am reaching out to you all in need of some perspective and guildance. I graduated high school 10 years ago and my reunion is on the 14th Oct. For the past couple of months leading up to this I have felt like a total failure. I h... View more

Hi wonderful souls, I am reaching out to you all in need of some perspective and guildance. I graduated high school 10 years ago and my reunion is on the 14th Oct. For the past couple of months leading up to this I have felt like a total failure. I have a nice life and have achieved some great things but I wished I had done more. I was very happy and enjoying my life up until a few months ago when I started realising now fast the last 10 years have gone and how much more I still wanted to achieve. Although I have decided not to go to my reunion because of these unhappy feelings I am still finding myself feeling worse the closer the date gets. It's like a deadline in my mind. Any assistance or understanding would be appreciated. I feel so silly for being so upset over literally just another day on the calander but I also know this is something that I need to feel and properly work though. Much love, Hippie Girl ✌