Relationship and family issues

Anything to do with managing relationships and family, including parenting, separation, loneliness, divorce, family and friendships.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: 3 important tips to get the most out of this section
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following... View more

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following 3 tips: 1. Do you really want to share this with the world? This is a public forum. Are you thinking of posting something that could identify you to a friend or family member? Once you've posted, you can't delete what you've written and we don't take posts down from here unless they've broken one of our community rules. This is because our members spend a lot of time composing replies, and there is a much wider audience that gets a lot out of reading what has been written. It's not fair to ask the community for support, then ask to have it removed once you've read it so others can't also benefit. Use discretion when posting here - think about the level of detail you are sharing, and think also about who might know you are posting here. Also, please keep it clean: this is an all ages forum and explicit discussions about sexual problems are not permitted. Threads and posts of this nature will be removed and your account placed on a moderation hold. 2. What do you want to get out of posting here? Relationship and family issues are stressful. Members sometimes post here seeking advice about a relationship that has broken down, but find themselves getting upset when they don't agree with the response they get. This is a peer support forum, meaning we are not mental health professionals. We are people of all ages and backgrounds, with a wide range of life experiences. While we aim for our discussions to be conducted respectfully, people here will respond with the truth as they see it, from their own experiences and perspectives. We are not here to take sides. Offence is almost never intentional, but it can be sometimes taken. The advice you will see here is not intended to be a substitute for professional counselling. 3. What other support do you have? Most people posting on our forums (about any issue) use this space as a supplement to other supports. This forum is not and cannot be a substitute for offline supports, but it is often a good place to start the ball rolling and find the courage for seeking help. If you are relying solely on an internet forum to resolve your relationship or family issues, you are likely to be disappointed. Check out the Healthy Homes section of our Healthy Families website for further information and resources.

All discussions

Mumofone My partner has deoression, wont get help and its effecting me and my 1 yr old daughter
  • replies: 6

I have been with my partner over 10 years and through the duration he has struggled with a gambling addiction and mental health problems. He will not seek professional help or talk to someone as he thinks its hopeless and a waste of time. Im at a los... View more

I have been with my partner over 10 years and through the duration he has struggled with a gambling addiction and mental health problems. He will not seek professional help or talk to someone as he thinks its hopeless and a waste of time. Im at a loss on what to do.. it has taken its toll on me and now i am feeling sad and lost myself. He has a short temper and is often withdrawn, ignores me and my daughter and snaps. He is negative about everything and angry and it is bringing me down. My daughter is usually such a happy little soul but lately i have noticed she too is beong effected and often sad/lashes out. Im at a loss on what to do... she absolutely adores him and vice versa and the thought of taking her away from him is devastating but i cant go on like this much longer.. i need to be strong for my girl but im finding it very hard as he wont get help. Doesnt want to talk about it and expects me just to sit there and watch it all unfold without showing my own emotions but im at breaking point and its effecting me and my ability to function and parent.

Upset_Dad Help Wanted in Understanding
  • replies: 3

Hi I am very concerned about my son he has lost his job for stealing ,could be evicted from his rental, has no money I believe he is taking drugs and he keeps asking me for money and when I question why he becomes very agitated and abusive, I have ta... View more

Hi I am very concerned about my son he has lost his job for stealing ,could be evicted from his rental, has no money I believe he is taking drugs and he keeps asking me for money and when I question why he becomes very agitated and abusive, I have taken him to centerlink and told him he has to take all the required documents with him the next day to finish the process taken him to doctors and paid for medication and suggested and gave him the details of a rehab facility .but he does not seem interested I told him to let me know via text that he has done this but so far no text . I am at a complete loss as I cannot have him living with us > this situation has made me visit emergency due to my heart condition and stayed for two days. How do you say No and tell him it is all up to him I cannot do it anymore it is breaking my heart

Jennyman Unhappy marriage or the depression.
  • replies: 5

Hello all. I have depression and lately it has been so bad I feel so unhappy in my marriage. Everything my husband does annoys me, we had sex recently and I cried afterwards because I realised I wasn't happy and it rocks me because he is the most ama... View more

Hello all. I have depression and lately it has been so bad I feel so unhappy in my marriage. Everything my husband does annoys me, we had sex recently and I cried afterwards because I realised I wasn't happy and it rocks me because he is the most amazing person and Dad it hurts me that I feel like this. Over the past 4 years I have on and off felt like this but not as bad as now. I feel like I could walk away tomorrow and not feel upset about it... Has anyone else experienced this feeling is this how we deal with the black dog push away the closest to us?? Thanks in advance, please no judgement on this thread.

WestCoastGuy Made to Feel Worthless
  • replies: 2

Ok so just a quick summary, I was with Partner for nearly 10 years, Planning to start on starting a Family with her then She walked out on me, that was 5 years ago now...then just under a year after that I go to together with a Woman for two years wh... View more

Ok so just a quick summary, I was with Partner for nearly 10 years, Planning to start on starting a Family with her then She walked out on me, that was 5 years ago now...then just under a year after that I go to together with a Woman for two years who was a lot older then me and abusive...the after that I met someone while overseas who then strung me along for nearly two years ago in a long distance relationship and here I am now... The most latest one me up mentally...for example...triangulation with some Guy from her class...toying with me and trying to make me Jealous...hanging out and drinking with strange guys at a Pub to 5am while I sat Home waiting for her...the list goes on with her...I feel completely worthless and depressed...

Megshell Adoption and its' link to ongoing anxiety and depression

Hi, I'm Meg. New here, so please be kind. I guess I'm seeking out others experiences of adoption. There is so little research and the research done seems to focus on forced adoptions and I'm thirsty to hear the lived experiences of people like me. I ... View more

Hi, I'm Meg. New here, so please be kind. I guess I'm seeking out others experiences of adoption. There is so little research and the research done seems to focus on forced adoptions and I'm thirsty to hear the lived experiences of people like me. I was adopted in 1975, on the tail end of the forced adoption period (thanks, Whitlam). I was 5. I had lived with a fiercly Catholic family in the year I was in foster care, and then was adopted into an amazing, intelligent and refined family a few months after my fifth Birthday. I went from a family with drug addiction to intensely Catholic adherents to (kind of) atheist intellectuals. I'm sure you can imagine that travelling between these three diverse families was confusing and disorienting. All the rules and norms were so very different and it seemed like I was always doing the wrong thing. My new parents shock at hearing me cry, "the devil made me do it" was a bit of culture shock. I have two siblings, both adopted, both very different, both deeply loved. They were both adopted at 3 and had backgrounds that I have no doubt scared them, deeply. I guess I'm asking for them too, and perhaps especially. In our own ways which have often been different, yet incredibly similar, I feel that adoption has touched each of us, in negative ways. I feel that the underlying core belief, for me, is that I'm unloveable. I suspect this is true, particularly of my brother. I would like to know if others feel this too. Thanks for your responses. Kind regards, Meg

Lonely_and_Tired Tired of trying
  • replies: 4

2 years ago i met an amazing girl... my soul mate... she lives in the US and from the moment we met she never left my mind. After visiting the US a number of times to see her, we decided we would look to live together, both in the US and here in Aust... View more

2 years ago i met an amazing girl... my soul mate... she lives in the US and from the moment we met she never left my mind. After visiting the US a number of times to see her, we decided we would look to live together, both in the US and here in Australia. To do this i needed to make sure we were financial to be able to enjoy our lives together. So after we took a vacation to the Greek islands and Thailand, i started a business with some friends with the intention of walking away with a monthly salary when its all set up. I am due to leave this business now in 5 weeks. Today i got a text message saying that someone else has come into her life and she wants to take a step back from us. I worked 7 days a week... day and night.. for a good part of a year .. i flew to see her numerous times even paying for her to come here.... right now i feel lost... i dont know if im angry, sad, lonely or just disappointed in myself or the outcome... i did nothing but work to ensure she could have the world... so we could travel and enjoy life together.... if going to such lengths means i lose out.. what chance do i have at my old age of 51 of finding the a woman....

Strangefemme2000 Just another post about loneliness

Hello i am new to this forum. I’m just concerned about the disconnect I feel with people in my life. A little history I have a bad track record with friendships. I haven’t had close friends for quite some years as when I did I often would get very up... View more

Hello i am new to this forum. I’m just concerned about the disconnect I feel with people in my life. A little history I have a bad track record with friendships. I haven’t had close friends for quite some years as when I did I often would get very upset and angry with friends for reasons I don’t understand and would treat them quite badly. I feel very humiliated by past actions. Humiliation is a big part of my identity really. I have some friends but not anyone to close. I find I can manage the friendship better that way but it also means I’ll only see people once in a blue moon. I have become quite acostomed to spending most of my time alone and enjoy it really. I know the reasons I enjoy it aren’t very healthy. I have a job and a loving family and the disconnect comes from the interactions I have with family and colleagues as I find my self lying about what I’m doing and how I’m feeling all the time out of embarrassment more than anything else. This same embarrassment has stopped me from seeking help. I have reached out and received help on a few occasions but can’t help but skirt the truth about my feelings and day to day activities. I just generally feel so much shame and humiliation about who I am as a person. I am just wondering if anyone has a similar experience or any advice on how to over come these feelings and accepting my past and present self. I’m not really in a position where I’d make any new friends that could be close. I am ok with this as I’d like to be at peace with myself before I’d even be able to form any close relationships. I understand having good relationships is important to heal but I am currently unable to trust anyone with my inner embarrassment. Any thought you may have on this would be greatly appreciated.

Freshstart46 All or nothin
  • replies: 3

I am struggling. I recently finished a 4 year degree and got a job away from my home town. I had been in a relationship for 2 years and we had discussed at great length that when my degree ended we would move. When the time cvame he couldnt handle le... View more

I am struggling. I recently finished a 4 year degree and got a job away from my home town. I had been in a relationship for 2 years and we had discussed at great length that when my degree ended we would move. When the time cvame he couldnt handle leavin the home town. I couldnt do long distance as he had cheated on me before and i found out he did it again just before i moved. I am really havin a hard time living somewhere i know no one and because he was undecided i am rentin a house ment for both us but now alone so payin way to much rent and struggling to find a housemate. I love my new job and its what i have been working for and everything i want but i cant help feeling that i lost soo much taking it. I dont want to give it up but i can feel depression startin to take over and am scared it will effect my job and then i will have nothin. It also hurts to think that a man i loved so much could give up on me so easily and it has made me feel worthless and like i will never be good enough for anyone else . I know us ending was the right thing but its still really hard to accept this. Id just like some self love tips and reassurance this will get better cause even though a part of me knows it will i cant help but not see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Emshygurl I need some advice
  • replies: 4

Hi, I’m really not sure what to do, my husband gets really really bad anxiety when I’m not with him, he sometimes ends up in hospital. We’ve been to a gp and she told him to try and find a hobby to keep his mind busy but he hasn’t done that and he we... View more

Hi, I’m really not sure what to do, my husband gets really really bad anxiety when I’m not with him, he sometimes ends up in hospital. We’ve been to a gp and she told him to try and find a hobby to keep his mind busy but he hasn’t done that and he went to a counselor and he said they didn’t help him either. I just feel like I have no independence what so ever anymore. I can’t go out with my friends without him needing to know where I am, who I’m with, what I’m doing and when I’ll be home. It’s very frustrating. I can’t even do late shifts a work without him thinking I don’t love him. Please help

Anomie Flying solo
  • replies: 2

Hi everyone, I was hoping I could receive advice on dealing with being late 20s (27), friendless/lonely, and generally sad. I've recently moved out and usually I'd be around some family, but now the reality of being by myself is sinking in. I think m... View more

Hi everyone, I was hoping I could receive advice on dealing with being late 20s (27), friendless/lonely, and generally sad. I've recently moved out and usually I'd be around some family, but now the reality of being by myself is sinking in. I think my self esteem and at an all time low because I feel like a weird-o and oddball who no one likes, which seems like a negative feedback loop. But really I don't even meet anyone new. When I do I feel I can't have that genuine of a conversation with them because I'm already mopey. My life otherwise is okay, I have a semi-stimulating office job and take exercising quite seriously (nice to see gym acquaintances often) which I enjoy. The people there I feel enjoy excluding others which is weird to me. Previous workplaces I've been to everyone has been nice and friendly to each other but not currently at this new place. I feel like every time I go out it's a bitter sweet experience because I spend time outside alone, and come home alone. I'm fairly sure it all comes down to self-doubt and generally a poor self image but I'm not sure how to improve. I've seen a psychologist a few times who, I believe, didn't really listen or understand me, and gave me shallow CBT exercises which was not relevant. I'm generally shy but I can still introduce and talk to people. I just feel so lost and alone because I'm not sure how I can meet nice people and make friends or have nice experiences, and/or improve my self perception into something more positive. Which is odd because I'm very aware of my minds habit to think poorly of myself - but feel powerless to do anything to tip the scales in my favour. Maybe I'm lazy and need to just get out there, attend things alone, and see what life presents me. I need to summon enough motivation to leave my room and at least try. I just don't know what to do. Thank you for reading.