Relationship and family issues

Anything to do with managing relationships and family, including parenting, separation, loneliness, divorce, family and friendships.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: 3 important tips to get the most out of this section
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following... View more

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following 3 tips: 1. Do you really want to share this with the world? This is a public forum. Are you thinking of posting something that could identify you to a friend or family member? Once you've posted, you can't delete what you've written and we don't take posts down from here unless they've broken one of our community rules. This is because our members spend a lot of time composing replies, and there is a much wider audience that gets a lot out of reading what has been written. It's not fair to ask the community for support, then ask to have it removed once you've read it so others can't also benefit. Use discretion when posting here - think about the level of detail you are sharing, and think also about who might know you are posting here. Also, please keep it clean: this is an all ages forum and explicit discussions about sexual problems are not permitted. Threads and posts of this nature will be removed and your account placed on a moderation hold. 2. What do you want to get out of posting here? Relationship and family issues are stressful. Members sometimes post here seeking advice about a relationship that has broken down, but find themselves getting upset when they don't agree with the response they get. This is a peer support forum, meaning we are not mental health professionals. We are people of all ages and backgrounds, with a wide range of life experiences. While we aim for our discussions to be conducted respectfully, people here will respond with the truth as they see it, from their own experiences and perspectives. We are not here to take sides. Offence is almost never intentional, but it can be sometimes taken. The advice you will see here is not intended to be a substitute for professional counselling. 3. What other support do you have? Most people posting on our forums (about any issue) use this space as a supplement to other supports. This forum is not and cannot be a substitute for offline supports, but it is often a good place to start the ball rolling and find the courage for seeking help. If you are relying solely on an internet forum to resolve your relationship or family issues, you are likely to be disappointed. Check out the Healthy Homes section of our Healthy Families website for further information and resources.

All discussions

Peart No support from loved one
  • replies: 2

Hi, I have posted in this forum before about my situation and I did feel a lot better getting support from this forum. Thank you all so much. However, I am here again because, I guess I've become hopeless. I can feel the depression is creeping back i... View more

Hi, I have posted in this forum before about my situation and I did feel a lot better getting support from this forum. Thank you all so much. However, I am here again because, I guess I've become hopeless. I can feel the depression is creeping back into my life, especially when it's really hard for me to find a job and juggling 2 casual jobs to make ends meet at the moment. I find a lot of things in my life upsetting and discouraging. I moved to a new city with my partner because he got a job. While he's blossoming in the new city, with new and old friends at the same time, with a good job, I'm stuck with 2 crappy jobs and housework. I feel unappreciated most of the time and I have expressed it to my partner. He does apologise but always forgets about it afterwards. I guess it's also because he has a lot on his plate. His job is, however, very demanding and stressful. So one time, I got very frustrated about my job situation and what's happening around me. I seek for support from my partner. I have no social life, no friends except for 2 friends who are living overseas. My partner's my source of human interaction and intimacy. I do love him very much. I decided that I should reach out to him about how I felt and cried to him that I was depressed. And he told me to go get help. This happened a while ago but I just can't get over it. I know it came from a good place as he's aware that I'm clinically depressed. It still hurts because I didn't get the reaction I was hoping for. I was hoping that he could hug me and wipe my tears and say that things will be ok. It's a cliche to say but when it comes from your loved one it feels a lot more assuring and comforting, but he didn't do that. I feel strongly criticised and that makes me feel ashamed of myself. I can't bring myself to tell him how I feel or what I think anymore. When I confronted him about his reaction, he said it'd be better if I sought professional help, and that he couldn't help that much. Am I over my head or is this a very bad reaction to my condition?

mermaidheart Feeling like a door mat.
  • replies: 1

Over the past few years My Partner has done some pretty hurtful things that I just can't seem to move past. I've previously been in a very DV/controlling relationship and I worry that this impacts on how I react to things, becoming a 'doormat so to s... View more

Over the past few years My Partner has done some pretty hurtful things that I just can't seem to move past. I've previously been in a very DV/controlling relationship and I worry that this impacts on how I react to things, becoming a 'doormat so to speak. A few years ago my Partner proposed on my Birthday and within minutes then turned around and said it was a joke, do you think I'd really get you a basic ring like that, do you think Id not make it a bigger deal etc basically tried to Turn the Proposal into a prank. He then broke down appologising saying his anxiety got to him and he didnt know what to do so he made up the whole Joke thing to try relieve his anxiety. I was heartbroken, distraught and angry. And to this day I remember the 'Proposal' as this horrible event and every birthday I remember it too. I feel like that once In a lifetime moment was ruined by him. A moment that I'll never get back. I don't know how to move on, or If I should move on? Is it forgivable? Or will it just always hurt.

bigbipolarbear bipolar and family's perspective

i have been hospitalised and just came back home from having been confirmed diagnosed with bipolar disorder. my parents are ashamed and embarassed. anyone else have this condition? i am learning it is not just me and i am not alone in this. recently ... View more

i have been hospitalised and just came back home from having been confirmed diagnosed with bipolar disorder. my parents are ashamed and embarassed. anyone else have this condition? i am learning it is not just me and i am not alone in this. recently kanye west talks about his bipolar. is anyone else's parents have that stigma? if so what do you do about it? any comments or suggestions is appreciated, thanks and peace out.

Tukimum Child with autism

Any parents out there suffering depression after a child has been diagnosed with autism/developmental delay?

Any parents out there suffering depression after a child has been diagnosed with autism/developmental delay?

Guest_342 Grieving what could have been
  • replies: 7

Hello everyone. About a year ago my nephew was born - we received a beautiful message and photo from my sibling announcing the news that he had arrived safely and his name. I imagined what fun things that my nephew and I would get up to as his person... View more

Hello everyone. About a year ago my nephew was born - we received a beautiful message and photo from my sibling announcing the news that he had arrived safely and his name. I imagined what fun things that my nephew and I would get up to as his personality developed. He was the most beautiful thing I’d seen in my life. But, despite looking so normal, it was discovered he had a severe condition due to a genetic mutation and he will never even hold his head up independently. At nearly 1 year old, we are yet to see him make eye contact or smile. We all love him regardless and are doing our best to support his mum and dad, who are doing an amazing job. But I feel traumatised by what has happened and I’m in a work place where everyone seems to be having babies and talking about their kids. I want to feel happy for them but often cannot help but feel resentful. Looking at that first baby photo that was filled with so much hope for the future, I feel like I’ve been in mourning for the past year for something I never had and the thought that he’ll never e.g. experience things such as having friends or playing sport. I’m also grieving the fact that my sibling won’t get to enjoy the usual things parents enjoy with their kids as they grow. I often still feel teary for my family’s situation and find myself ruminating. But I have little support, as my grief is somewhat disenfranchised I think due to not being the parent or grandprent in this scenario. My partner offers very little support and no one asks me how I am. How can I move on from this grief while my family is still experiencing this difficult situation?

SoccerStar0421 Anger issues im struggling to deal with

Im all of a sudden feeling snappy and angry at anything and everyone. I have no idea what has started this ongoing anger or if its always been there but its only now that its finally gotten so bad. Someone please help

Im all of a sudden feeling snappy and angry at anything and everyone. I have no idea what has started this ongoing anger or if its always been there but its only now that its finally gotten so bad. Someone please help

Caravan So lonely i feel ill
  • replies: 32

Just hoping for some help i am in absolute despair. I'm completely lonely, have no family and no friends. My loneliness is literally killing me and i don't know what to do anymore. Although i tried to get out there and do things but nothing works and... View more

Just hoping for some help i am in absolute despair. I'm completely lonely, have no family and no friends. My loneliness is literally killing me and i don't know what to do anymore. Although i tried to get out there and do things but nothing works and no one to connect with. I feel like i don't exist and nobody sees me. As a 39 year old male, making friends is becoming impossible. I'm too scared to spend the rest of my life like this...

Luke82 Always made to feel it's my fault
  • replies: 7

Just looking for a bit of help I love my partner very much but she seems to always blame me for everything doesn't matter what I do or what I say everything's my fault from soup boiling and burning over too pens being missing she always continually H... View more

Just looking for a bit of help I love my partner very much but she seems to always blame me for everything doesn't matter what I do or what I say everything's my fault from soup boiling and burning over too pens being missing she always continually Has It Go On Me and its getting me down and its starting to make me feel really unhappy and anxious about what I'll get the blame for next

depressedandunderdressed growing pains
  • replies: 1

as i recently turned 20 ive come to face the very harsh reality that is life and growing up. i've been depressed and getting treatment since i was 15 and its only in my recent years released that 90% of me being the way i am is due to my alcoholic mo... View more

as i recently turned 20 ive come to face the very harsh reality that is life and growing up. i've been depressed and getting treatment since i was 15 and its only in my recent years released that 90% of me being the way i am is due to my alcoholic mother. ive been carrying her to bed since i was in kindergarden waiting for my dad to get home from late shift to tuck me into bed. my mother knows what shes doing and as an adult i now have the words and understanding to express how it makes me feel and try to get her the help she needs. over the years i have yelled, screamed, cried, begged and pleated, ignored and been a damn right bitch to my mother in hopes she will understand that im only that way once she has been drinking. it hasnt worked and im starting to give up. ive hidden her alcohol, and she just finds more ways to get it. ive told other members in my family and we are all in the same boat. we all feel the same way and its tearing us apart. i use to be close with my mother despite all the drinking and now we have drifted so far apart i cant even look at her somtimes. its not only affecting our own family but extended too. my boyfriends family have had enough and her drinking has nearly ended my relationship. my partner and i have been trying to plan for our future and apart of that is having kids.. the problem being that we have both agreed my mother willnot be a fit grandmother to my children and i wouldnt want them to grow up doing and seeing the things i suffered. it breaks my heart to think and know that one day that will be the reality. that after 4pm my own mother wont be able to see her grandchildren because she will have already started to drink. im at breaking point and i know nothing about how to be an adult because shes been the woman ive grown up to learn from and i dont want to be that samew person.

Helenmc I'm at a loss of what to do next
  • replies: 15

Hi everyone I'm writing in hope to get some unbiased views. my husband and I had an argument 9 weeks ago today it wasn't that heated but he says "fine I'll leave" proceeded to get in his car and drive off. I was holding his car door open begging for ... View more

Hi everyone I'm writing in hope to get some unbiased views. my husband and I had an argument 9 weeks ago today it wasn't that heated but he says "fine I'll leave" proceeded to get in his car and drive off. I was holding his car door open begging for him to come inside but he just lost it and yelled at me never have I seen him like that before . 9 weeks on no contact except week 2 a short text message to tell me it was alol my fault. Nothjng since then . he left with thr clothes on his back hasn't been back for any of his things since. He still contributes to thr joint account every week still reads my messenger messages when I send them but won't talk to me. I communicte with him second daily but realise this has prob done my harm then good? i love him we were happy together I don't want to loose our marriage but 9 weeks is a very long time thoughts please