Relationship and family issues

Anything to do with managing relationships and family, including parenting, separation, loneliness, divorce, family and friendships.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: 3 important tips to get the most out of this section
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following... View more

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following 3 tips: 1. Do you really want to share this with the world? This is a public forum. Are you thinking of posting something that could identify you to a friend or family member? Once you've posted, you can't delete what you've written and we don't take posts down from here unless they've broken one of our community rules. This is because our members spend a lot of time composing replies, and there is a much wider audience that gets a lot out of reading what has been written. It's not fair to ask the community for support, then ask to have it removed once you've read it so others can't also benefit. Use discretion when posting here - think about the level of detail you are sharing, and think also about who might know you are posting here. Also, please keep it clean: this is an all ages forum and explicit discussions about sexual problems are not permitted. Threads and posts of this nature will be removed and your account placed on a moderation hold. 2. What do you want to get out of posting here? Relationship and family issues are stressful. Members sometimes post here seeking advice about a relationship that has broken down, but find themselves getting upset when they don't agree with the response they get. This is a peer support forum, meaning we are not mental health professionals. We are people of all ages and backgrounds, with a wide range of life experiences. While we aim for our discussions to be conducted respectfully, people here will respond with the truth as they see it, from their own experiences and perspectives. We are not here to take sides. Offence is almost never intentional, but it can be sometimes taken. The advice you will see here is not intended to be a substitute for professional counselling. 3. What other support do you have? Most people posting on our forums (about any issue) use this space as a supplement to other supports. This forum is not and cannot be a substitute for offline supports, but it is often a good place to start the ball rolling and find the courage for seeking help. If you are relying solely on an internet forum to resolve your relationship or family issues, you are likely to be disappointed. Check out the Healthy Homes section of our Healthy Families website for further information and resources.

All discussions

To_Old_For_This Lost, confused and heartbroken after husbands affair
  • replies: 11

Hi all, I'm new here. I'm not one to air my dirty laundry in this kind of forum but I have zero support and need some outside perspective. After 10 years of marriage, 15 years in the relationship I had my world turned upside down by infidelity. Not j... View more

Hi all, I'm new here. I'm not one to air my dirty laundry in this kind of forum but I have zero support and need some outside perspective. After 10 years of marriage, 15 years in the relationship I had my world turned upside down by infidelity. Not just a fleeting affair, but it turned out my husband had been seeing a woman from his work for sex for 8 years!! We (I thought) had a pretty good, normal life. When I found out, he promised to stop and break all contact. He moved jobs and we have since moved town. I have had to quit my job of 10 years. I have fallen apart. My family have abandoned me because they see it as me being in the wrong (They have very strong religious beliefs). For his part he has been very supportive of what I want. However he says he stopped loving and caring for me, throughout those years and figured I would always be there when his 'fun' with 'her' was over. He tells me he loves me now and is extremely remorseful. We have spent hours fighting and crying. It's been many months and things for me, just seem to get worse. I feel deeply depressed. I am seeing a psychologist, but its like once every 6 weeks. I don't know where to turn. I don't have any financial backing and currently don't feel I can work (due to my mental state). I have zero support, other than him. I love him, but I'm not sure if I can deal with all this information. The more I learn about his past feelings for me, the more disgusted I feel. I don't understand how he could treat me this way. He was a master of disguise. I am not an idiot, how could I be so fooled? Leaving doesn't feel like a viable option. But how do I deal with this? He promises from now on to be the best partner he can possibly be, but how do I trust him? And worse...how do I trust myself? I have been left with nob confidence, I feel everything I have ever worked for both within and outside of my marriage is destroyed. I am struggling to see a way forward. I don't know what to do.

stormrider I'm not the bad guy : (
  • replies: 6

My problems started through my brother in law. First mistake was hubby and I buying a shared title property (2 houses) with him. Second mistake going into a shared business with him. That was ok, until he broke up with his wife and took up with a Nar... View more

My problems started through my brother in law. First mistake was hubby and I buying a shared title property (2 houses) with him. Second mistake going into a shared business with him. That was ok, until he broke up with his wife and took up with a Narcissist. Long story short, the narcissit took over the books and embezzeled unknown amounts of money. Eventually they left to rent a place and his son moved in his house. The son's relationship also broke up and he got into drugs and for the next two years refused to pay any electric costs (shared connection), so we had to pay his and ours or be disconnected. Also hubby was forced to get another job as the business was in trouble, so he left bro in law with it. Bro inlaw got deeper and deeper into debt and stopped paying his share of the rates, so we've had the full amount for the last 7 yrs or so. Hubby has great integrity and love for his bro, so he sticks his head in the sand rather than ruffle any feathers, but I resent these relations taking advantage of us like that. Then bro in law broke up with his narcissist and moved into our house... for four days, said hubby, while his son moved out of bro inlaw's house. I was happy at the thought of the electric abusing son going, so I agreed, but 3 months on, bro inlaw is still in my house paying no board, while receiving full board and his son, still in the other. I finally snapped and caused a scene. It's so mentally taxing on me. We also have hubby's mother living with us, who is a blind invalid and I am her full time carer. Hubby pretty much accused me of being heartless to his poor, hard done by brother. I suggested we subdivide the property, so at least the electric problem and rates will no longer cost us, but I'm getting pretty much no support from hubby. I feel trapped between a rock and a hard place. If I could just go ahead and subdivide, without him, I would have done it years ago. I've told hubby how unhappy I am, but he seems to think I'm the one being unreasonable. I really don't know what to do. I got mad the other day and said I might have to divorce him, he made out that this is what I have been wanting, but it isn't. I've been doing all I can to cope and have my concerns heard, but he doesn't seem to hear me. I told him he is driving me to it. I'm so unhappy I am constantly tearing up. I don't blame hubby, I blame his crappy brother. Why doesn't he see that bro in law is the bad guy here, not me : (?

Redfish543 am I damaged forever? will I ever stop feeling numb?
  • replies: 1

My ex cheated on me with a work colleague, as did my ex-husband before him. We have been split for approx 8 months, but I still miss him, and part of me wants him back in my life. I've been on dates, met other people etc but i still feel very connect... View more

My ex cheated on me with a work colleague, as did my ex-husband before him. We have been split for approx 8 months, but I still miss him, and part of me wants him back in my life. I've been on dates, met other people etc but i still feel very connected to my ex. I have been unable to distract myself. I'm also a little bit in denial that he would do this too me in the firts place, after everything I went through with my ex-husband. That he was able to lie to me so completely and blatantly, that he didn't respect or love me enough etc etc... I also feel like its unfair that I have to go through this again!! I have somehow managed to wind up alone, and ladened with more than I feel I can handle. I'm sick of everybody saying to me you didn't do anything wrong, your an amazing women, your so strong and independent, your worth more than him etc etc.....These people cannot comprehend my situation, cannot comprehend being lied to and cheated on by not one partner -but two! having your self esteem, take not one, but two beatings makes me question 'will I be Damaged forever?' The fact is I'm a single mum to 3 kids from two different dads. I've been a single parent before but I only had one child, now I have twins too. Along with work, a mortgage, trying to maintain a sense of normalcy etc with family and friends- I struggle. I wonder if I will ever have a relationship again?- but a single mum with three kids is certainly not an enticement, rather a 'run baby run' moment. I'm sad most of the time and struggle to find enjoyment from my normal activities etc..... I cant seem to shake this feeling of hopelessness, hurt/pain, flat /numb and desperate to feel something good. I want to feel like me again and its like I'm lost to myself, just gone and not coming back. I do gym up to 4 times a week, work, do things with the kids, spend time with friends etc but still feel........utterly broken! So will I recover from yet another person 'doing me over'? will feel life again? and what makes my life worthwhile/ me worthwhile when I'm simply taken for granted and all is assumed, that she will manage cos she can.....

Leigh_17 I feel like my life is a house of cards and it’s falki apart
  • replies: 4

I’m a fake, I always do and say the right things to everyone, at work, at home, while my brain is screaming out things I really want to say but I don’t because I’m the good one. But I’m not. I’m getting really sick of listening to my family’s constan... View more

I’m a fake, I always do and say the right things to everyone, at work, at home, while my brain is screaming out things I really want to say but I don’t because I’m the good one. But I’m not. I’m getting really sick of listening to my family’s constant problems, I feel like I’m going to snap and destroy this fake person I am. And my husband, we have been together since I was 15, I love him but have so much anger and hatred for over the years he has broken my trust so many times, he is a control freak and everybody loves him and thinks I’m the crazy wife. Atm he spends nearly every night outside working on his car or drinking beer in front of a fire, once I would of cared but now I’m glad he isn’t spending time with me. This is not what marriage is supposed to be, I feel like we want different things out of life , I love him but how can this be love? I feel like it’s easier to die than having to deal with my families problems and my own problems are just to much.

Kourtneyb Trying to cope after being bullied and harassed.
  • replies: 2

Hello. I was sexually harassed and bullied by my employer/ former doctor. Since my experience I've left my career, my self-esteem is low. I can't look at myself in the mirror, I feel worthless and I experience frustration, anger bursts, severe depres... View more

Hello. I was sexually harassed and bullied by my employer/ former doctor. Since my experience I've left my career, my self-esteem is low. I can't look at myself in the mirror, I feel worthless and I experience frustration, anger bursts, severe depressive episodes. I get really upset at times that I've been taken advantage of and everyone's lives are moving on and I just spend every day just trying to exist. I've tried speaking to psychologists, psychiatrists - I've tried medication, CBT, mindfulness but I'm having some trust problems with seeing healthcare providers or trusting anyone so it makes it very hard to open up. At the moment on a personal front, My relationships have suffered, I can't take care of my family, thinking of looking after my kids seems really overwhelming, I feel so lost.

indiana678 Toxic relationship I can’t seem to leave..
  • replies: 2

Hi guys, so basically this is my first post but I have reached a breaking point in my life where I have no idea what I’m doing in my relationship, so my partner and I were together for 2 years and then things started to go downhill.. we started fight... View more

Hi guys, so basically this is my first post but I have reached a breaking point in my life where I have no idea what I’m doing in my relationship, so my partner and I were together for 2 years and then things started to go downhill.. we started fighting and arguing although always drawn back to each other and then we broke up and he got back with his ex for a few weeks until he broke that off and asked me to hang out with him, so we started seeing each other and it’s nearly been a year now, I am living at his house although we are not in a relationship and he says we are just friends even though we don’t act like it. I’m really confused by the whole situation and am just not sure whether to try harder or give up and walk away... thank you so much for taking the time to read this!!

Kittyyy00 Reaching out for help/support
  • replies: 3

Hi, I'm not quite sure how to talk about the problems I am facing in my life, but it feels like it's demanding so much of me and I feel I don't have much more to give. I'm 29 and have a 10 year old son. I have been diagnosed with depression as a teen... View more

Hi, I'm not quite sure how to talk about the problems I am facing in my life, but it feels like it's demanding so much of me and I feel I don't have much more to give. I'm 29 and have a 10 year old son. I have been diagnosed with depression as a teen and put on medication, which I left behind a long time ago. I have struggled with drugs and alcohol for most of my life. I currently only drink, but not excessively anymore. I don't take drugs at all anymore. I spent 12 long years of my life with my son's father who is a controlling, manipulative and abusive person. The time I spent in this relationship cost me so much of myself. I have no friends anymore, I barely talk to my family, just reconnected with my mother and stepfather, I lost my self esteem a long time ago and I feel like I'll never be the same person I once was. Currently we are going through family court to compromise and agree on a parenting plan. He has brought my family and my new partner into the case by throwing extreme accusations around. Final court date is in a few weeks and I can't bare to agree to shared parental responsibility with this man. It's really stressing me. My new partner and I are on a rocky road at the moment. Things were great in the beginning but I broke his trust about 7 months ago. He says he wants to be with me and he's in love with me but still stresses out. We have been dating 1 yr 5 months. Still early in our relationship but we are both mature individuals ready to settle down in our lives. My previous experiences (and possible mental health issues) can make me react in crazy ways and go completely overboard. I feel as though I am chasing someone who is getting further away from me. I don't know what to do. I do love this man and he makes me incredibly happy but he breaks my heart sometimes. What do I do to help? I've tried expressing my feelings through words and gifts and gestures and in everything I do. I'm not coping well with anything at the moment. I smashed my car, it was a write off. I can't make my parents happy. I've called in sick 2 days in a row this week because I can barely get up to get my son ready for school let alone go to work. I feel like I shouldn't be feeling this way but I do.

brokenbluecat How do you explain this to teenagers?
  • replies: 3

I have been battling for over 20 years. Recently I have had a number of triggers that have lead to me going through the worst episode of my life. I have no motivation, no enjoyment and I am struggling to explain to my teenage boys why I feel "sick". ... View more

I have been battling for over 20 years. Recently I have had a number of triggers that have lead to me going through the worst episode of my life. I have no motivation, no enjoyment and I am struggling to explain to my teenage boys why I feel "sick". There is nothing physically wrong with me, my mental health is really bad. How do I explain this to them without them worrying about me? My husband has also said this weekend he doesn't get it. How do I make him understand? These are supposed to be my biggest supporters but I can't even talk to them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ayu Lonely and lost

Hello (it’s my first time posting!) I’ve been struggling with my family life + friend life these past 6months. Recently, my grandfather suddenly passed away and I’ve been focused on grandmother to give them support. I was very close to my grandparent... View more

Hello (it’s my first time posting!) I’ve been struggling with my family life + friend life these past 6months. Recently, my grandfather suddenly passed away and I’ve been focused on grandmother to give them support. I was very close to my grandparents more than my parents growing up. I had never experienced a close family member passing away before this, and decided to distance myself from engaging in friends as I didn’t feel like myself + didn’t want to express my negative thoughts + started brooding over whether my friends could even tell if I was upset at all. I haven’t talked to any of my “best” friends about this and instead sought comfort in friends I’ve only met a few times. Just being around people I knew made me uncomfortable. I used to enjoy going out, doing art... But it’s no longer enjoyable. I’m lost because I want to talk to my “best” friends. But upon getting into miscommunication problems with them earlier on, I told them that “I wanted to take a step back from friendships and hope they could take the extra step forward”... But as a result, they haven’t talked to me in over a month. (We used to talk every day) I would appreciate any advice on what direction I should go towards. I’m honestly lost. Thank you for your time.

Makers_Marker Awkwardness and suffering

This post may not sound directly related to anxiety or depression but the reason I am writing it on Beyond Blue and not a Facebook singles group is there's always a chance that my anxiety is playing a significant role. Basically I am a fairly unattra... View more

This post may not sound directly related to anxiety or depression but the reason I am writing it on Beyond Blue and not a Facebook singles group is there's always a chance that my anxiety is playing a significant role. Basically I am a fairly unattractive twenty year old whose never had a girlfriend. I wouldn't say I'm self hating, I appreciate my own good qualities, I just don't have any faith that other people do. The dilemma I'm in at the moment is there is a girl that I fancy (not really a strong enough word but it's the best I could think of). We have been friends for a few months and I am now facing the choice of either asking her out and potentially making our friendship awkward (we aren't incredibly close but do see each other quite a bit), or not asking her out and feeling terrible for potentially missing out on a wonderful opportunity like I've done so many times before. I don't have many people in real life that I'm comfortable talking to about things like this and I'm just really confused about how well you have to know someone before it becomes weird to suddenly ask them out. Do most people ask out friends ? It seems like they do but I've heard so many people say they don't because they don't want to ruin the friendship. I'm so lost right now