Relationship and family issues

Anything to do with managing relationships and family, including parenting, separation, loneliness, divorce, family and friendships.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: 3 important tips to get the most out of this section
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following... View more

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following 3 tips: 1. Do you really want to share this with the world? This is a public forum. Are you thinking of posting something that could identify you to a friend or family member? Once you've posted, you can't delete what you've written and we don't take posts down from here unless they've broken one of our community rules. This is because our members spend a lot of time composing replies, and there is a much wider audience that gets a lot out of reading what has been written. It's not fair to ask the community for support, then ask to have it removed once you've read it so others can't also benefit. Use discretion when posting here - think about the level of detail you are sharing, and think also about who might know you are posting here. Also, please keep it clean: this is an all ages forum and explicit discussions about sexual problems are not permitted. Threads and posts of this nature will be removed and your account placed on a moderation hold. 2. What do you want to get out of posting here? Relationship and family issues are stressful. Members sometimes post here seeking advice about a relationship that has broken down, but find themselves getting upset when they don't agree with the response they get. This is a peer support forum, meaning we are not mental health professionals. We are people of all ages and backgrounds, with a wide range of life experiences. While we aim for our discussions to be conducted respectfully, people here will respond with the truth as they see it, from their own experiences and perspectives. We are not here to take sides. Offence is almost never intentional, but it can be sometimes taken. The advice you will see here is not intended to be a substitute for professional counselling. 3. What other support do you have? Most people posting on our forums (about any issue) use this space as a supplement to other supports. This forum is not and cannot be a substitute for offline supports, but it is often a good place to start the ball rolling and find the courage for seeking help. If you are relying solely on an internet forum to resolve your relationship or family issues, you are likely to be disappointed. Check out the Healthy Homes section of our Healthy Families website for further information and resources.

All discussions

Anon_777 Dealing with loneliness and constantly feeling down
  • replies: 6

This is my first post. I've been feeling really down for a few months ever since my ex of my first and only relationship decided to leave me for someone else. I know I have improved but I now feel like I'm at a standstill in always feeling lonely. I ... View more

This is my first post. I've been feeling really down for a few months ever since my ex of my first and only relationship decided to leave me for someone else. I know I have improved but I now feel like I'm at a standstill in always feeling lonely. I have friends and family, and do make time to see them but at the end of the day I always come home to a place where I live by myself and I just feel constantly lonely. Moving or living with others isn't an option as my lease still has many more months on it. I knew the lack of companionship would be hard to adjust to even though it wasn't a very long relationship but I'm growing tired of having no one to share things with. I've always been on my own and I used to be so good at it but now I hate it. I'm at uni full time too but rarely see social events I'm interested in and so I have no idea how to even make new friends. In the first few weeks after I was dumped I spoke to a counsellor for a one off session and they did give some good advice but I didn't really feel like I got a whole lot from the experience to go back. I just want to be okay with my life but find myself hating where I'm at. Everything feels boring and nothing I do to make the day feel interesting ever feels worth it. I just want to not hate every day that comes and I don't know what to do about it anymore.

IVGreen My fiancé left me.
  • replies: 1

Hey, I'm new to this forum but I am just seeking advice. I've been with my partner for 2 years and have been engaged for a year. At the start of April this year, we went to Europe on a trip to visit his family and to travel around Europe. A week into... View more

Hey, I'm new to this forum but I am just seeking advice. I've been with my partner for 2 years and have been engaged for a year. At the start of April this year, we went to Europe on a trip to visit his family and to travel around Europe. A week into the trip, he broke up with me. I cried and asked why and he said that he isn't feeling it anymore and doesn't love me anymore. I asked him why he did it in Europe and he explained that he was hopeful that we could make it work but the thoughts of leaving me were always in the back of his head. He sent me back to Australia and now he is telling me to get out of the apartment that we rent together by the time he gets back. He doesn't seem to be backing down. I truly love this man and he has a history of getting 'cold feet' and leaving and coming back. I'm absolutely distraught by this. I need advice, I hear from friends that I should just leave but that's easy to say when they are not as involved as I am. Any advice? I want to respect his wishes but the way he did it, it's just not like him. A mutual friend of ours was confused and baffled by the way he did it. This is not like him at all and he would never hurt anyone. Thank you for your advice in advance.

Bellia Post sex doubts and confusion
  • replies: 2

I initiated a sexual relationship with a long term acquaintance. It was a brave and nerve wracking move as he is very familiar to me in a small town senerio. I am a single mum who has been able to create a loving relationship with a partner for years... View more

I initiated a sexual relationship with a long term acquaintance. It was a brave and nerve wracking move as he is very familiar to me in a small town senerio. I am a single mum who has been able to create a loving relationship with a partner for years, I thought I would just create a physical opportunity as I really miss sex! but, my body backfired. It was an awkward experience and this man has gone from desperately wanting me to being very ‘nice’ without a hint of the sexual urgency he first responded to my text with. My self esteem has plummeted and I was trying to lift it through this experience!! I feel so hopeless as I need a physical relationship and I don’t seem able to get it. As a single mum I feel so alone and unloved.. I feel like I blew it and I feel self conscious and deeply ashamed and embarrassed. Why did my body do this! But more frustrating is the inability to really discuss it with him as I can see he finds my anxiety unnecessaryvto his reality and needs.. I wanted no strings attached sex, now I’m experiencing an isolated frustration and confusion. It’s horrible

mmads1 I want to be better but I don't know how
  • replies: 2

I've been in a relationship for almost three years now and I cant get rid of being insecure, jealous and having no self love. I'm always scared I'm not good enough and that other people with similar interests to my boyfriend will take my place. he's ... View more

I've been in a relationship for almost three years now and I cant get rid of being insecure, jealous and having no self love. I'm always scared I'm not good enough and that other people with similar interests to my boyfriend will take my place. he's really into theatre and all that and I guess thats not really my thing so when other girls are into that who know him I feel threatened. when I get upset about these things I generally become defensive, rude and attacking because I just am so unhappy about myself. I never want to bring him down but when I feel like I have so many flaws I can become angry and upset. I truly do love him and want there to be less conflict. usually its silly arguments but I really don't want my anger and depressive emotions to overcome me again, I need advice on how to contain my anger, ways to handle situations more thoughtfully and to just not always feel jealous of other girls. ah I'm so lost..

Miraclemum Mother in law causing so much anxiety!
  • replies: 9

Hi everyone, I have had a rough couple of years dealing with my mother in law. This is just one of the mean things she’s done to her son and I. Last year my partner & I found out I was pregnant! We were over the moon! Long story short - my partners m... View more

Hi everyone, I have had a rough couple of years dealing with my mother in law. This is just one of the mean things she’s done to her son and I. Last year my partner & I found out I was pregnant! We were over the moon! Long story short - my partners mother ruined my pregnancy & made it all about her.. so you can imagine my nerves about giving birth! When I was in labour I told my partner not to tell his parents as I knew they would call every 5 minutes, make it all about them and stress me out at a time that I needed to focus on myself and our baby. We live interstate so I was safe from them visiting! After she was born we enjoyed a couple of hours just the 3 of us before ringing to tell them our news. Basically we told all our immediate family not to spread the word of our baby girl yet because we didn’t want a million phone calls or anyone to post on Facebook as we wanted to enjoy our little bubble for 24 hours. His mum ignored this of course... she told all her friends, his father posted a picture of our baby on Facebook. I was devastated...! This was my number one rule I had stated throughout my entire pregnancy... we confronted them over messages & phone calls saying how upset we were & disappointed in them for making this about them & not listening to us. next thing we know his sister in law is abusing us saying we are selfish people! His mum blows up and tries making excuses for what she’s done but it’s just the icing on the cake for me and what she’s done the last few years. The first few days of my babies life were spent crying over what should have been the best time of my life and how that was taken from me. My partner was getting phone calls saying how I’m tearing his family apart! What have I done??? I’ve just birthed a baby?! I ring his mum 4 days later & tell her how furious I am with how she’s behaved & yet again ruined another one of her sons life milestones. she tells me I am ungreatful & that my daughter didn’t come out a stillbirth like her other sons friends baby did ( she’s got no idea who those poor people are & is using their child to teach me a lesson? ) her behaviour was discusting to say the least. My baby is now a couple of months old & I’m still reliving this horrific event. I get so much anxiety when my partner sends photos of our darling girl & when he speaks on the phone to them. I dread seeing them and watching her hold my baby as she’s caused our family so much pain. I want to cut her from my life. - one anxious mumma.

PurpleRed I'm new here. Really need the help.

I'll try and keep this as brief as possible. I have no friends (I don't mind that). My fiance is my best friend and we have a great relationship. My family (or lack thereof) are nasty pieces of work who would rather see me homeless and fail in life t... View more

I'll try and keep this as brief as possible. I have no friends (I don't mind that). My fiance is my best friend and we have a great relationship. My family (or lack thereof) are nasty pieces of work who would rather see me homeless and fail in life than thriving and succeeding. My mother in particular has told me to "lower my standards" in terms of life and career. I don't think my aspirations could get any lower honestly. I haven't had mental health issues for at least 5 years, until about 4 months ago when a call centre job and the nature of the calls really broke me. Since then, I've struggled to keep work as I cannot focus. I have a constant threat of homelessness over my head. I won't have this share house after June 30th, and I mentally cannot handle sharing a house again. I've been applying for new rentals with no luck. I don't have a lot of rental history. It is clean, but without any constant income, they cannot possibly rent to me. I don't blame them. I've been down this road before of homelessness and trying to dig myself out. I had to do sexual favours and work with people who are unsafe to be around just to pay rent years ago. I refuse to do that again. I can't go through this system again. Before any of you make a suggestion: I have utilised all the free sources available to me that I can think of. I used the EAP when employed. I've used all my Medicare ones. I cannot go back on Centrelink, as I've (willingly) quit my other jobs. I don't want to go through the charity system of homelessness again. It's extremely demoralising and heartbreaking. Thanks.

wonderingcat Any advice on managing feelings towards friends?

Hi there, I'm having trouble with some interuptive thoughts that i'm seeking ideas to manage. My friend has recently fallen pregnant with her second child. I'm jealous. I've had a few harsh thoughts that 'every-thing is working out for her' and 'she'... View more

Hi there, I'm having trouble with some interuptive thoughts that i'm seeking ideas to manage. My friend has recently fallen pregnant with her second child. I'm jealous. I've had a few harsh thoughts that 'every-thing is working out for her' and 'she's so lucky'. I know things are no where near that simple but i find it hard to challenge my thoughts and it does seem like many things are going well for her. I'm working on directing my life to things that would be good for me - but i don't think i'm that good at it/having much success. That is, while i have a lot of good things going in my life i don't think i can get to where she is - children, partner, financially well off. Any advice on managing feelings towards friends?

lostsoul369 My wife of 8 years cheated on me - what do I do? I feel so lost.
  • replies: 9

Hi all. My wife of 8 years cheated on me in Feb this year with a co-worker while away on a work trip interstate. We have been together for 12 years, have 2 kids (one is hers from a previous relationship and one together) ages 13 and 6. I only found o... View more

Hi all. My wife of 8 years cheated on me in Feb this year with a co-worker while away on a work trip interstate. We have been together for 12 years, have 2 kids (one is hers from a previous relationship and one together) ages 13 and 6. I only found out by chance on reading an email she was going to send to this guy, but didn't and deleted it about another up coming trip in April where she would be in his state for work and that she was hoping to see him again and wondered how they could meet, knowing he couldn't stay as he has a wife. She mentioned that she had flashbacks in the week since they were together about how his hands on her body felt and how the feeling of him inside of her made her smile and that it was unexpected but wanted. I was shattered and confronted her and she denied it at first, but when she realised I had read the email, she admitted it. She is sorry and wants to fix our marriage. The big thing is that in December I had suspicions of her having an affair with a different guy that she works with in the same city we live in, and she said she wouldn't ever do that to me as she has been cheated on and knows how it feels. We have been to a marriage councillor and we are trying to repair it, but I am just so lost and hurt in what she has done. There has been a lot of other things that just don't add up, including an email thread with the guy I was worried about her having an affair with, after he was at our house for 4 hours while I was away. She said nothing happened at all, but I don't know!

Guest_294 Scared to ruin what I have
  • replies: 14

Hi all, its been a while since I last posted. I’m in a bit of a rush so this will be a quick one. I am currently in the early days of a beautiful new relationship. Everything just feels perfect. We’ve been together now for a month and a half. He is a... View more

Hi all, its been a while since I last posted. I’m in a bit of a rush so this will be a quick one. I am currently in the early days of a beautiful new relationship. Everything just feels perfect. We’ve been together now for a month and a half. He is amazing and everything is just cloud nine right now. The only problem is this: in a few weeks, I will be on a plane to America for 3 weeks. 2 weeks after I get back, he is on a plane to Cambodia for a month. I am so scared to lose this. I haven’t been this happy in ages and everything just feels right when I’m with him. What do I do?? I don’t want us to go away for two months, and him get bored or something. my biggest fear is that he will become bored since I told him I want to wait before having sex with him. I want to be more deeply connected to someone before I open myself up like that you know? All advice is appreciated as always Thanks, A

morticiaandgomez Obsessive need for affection is causing me to find it in strangers and jeopardising my safety

Hi my name is H, to provide some background: am a nearly 30 year old woman, out of a long term relationship that ended 7m ago, am medicated for anxiety and depression. my problem is: I’m a very physically affectionate person & I have a deep need to g... View more

Hi my name is H, to provide some background: am a nearly 30 year old woman, out of a long term relationship that ended 7m ago, am medicated for anxiety and depression. my problem is: I’m a very physically affectionate person & I have a deep need to get cuddles, be spooned, stroked or just touched in general, daily. I am an introvert who enjoys my own company & I like my life. I am not technically lonely, but I believe this need for affection has influenced my past & present decisions to run into the arms of men who may, or may not respect me, & care for me, just to fulfill this need for physical touch. I have a good understanding of who I am, & what I want. I have had & continue to have casual relations but know deep down I’m a relationship kind of person, because I like the company, growing together with someone, & doing life together. But because I’m single, I obviously go to bed by myself, & am living day to day without that physical affection which causes me to feel really sad and because I can’t cope with this, I try to seek it wherever I can just to fulfill this need Recently, I have had several casual flings since I met and fell for a person that for whatever reason we can’t be together. I am trying to distract myself from the pain of missing him & my desire to be touched by: - going to a strangers house at midnight, who I found on tinder. This was the first time we met. I was heavily drunk, my friends didn’t know where I was, & my phone was on 1% battery - I had sat at a bar for 3 hours on my phone, trying to message a whole bunch of guys trying to see if anyone was free to hang out. This is a regular reoccurrence. When I met this guy, I wasn’t attracted to him, & while he was nice, I didn’t want to sleep with him, but did anyway, because I needed to be touched. I have been lucky, & not been in a dangerous situation yet, but my question is: how do I relieve this pain of needing to be touched constantly, without jeopardising my safety as a woman? I need romantic touch, hugs from friends, while nice, and help on some level, do not fulfil this need of mine is anyone else out there struggling with this same predicament?