Relationship and family issues

Anything to do with managing relationships and family, including parenting, separation, loneliness, divorce, family and friendships.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: 3 important tips to get the most out of this section
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following... View more

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following 3 tips: 1. Do you really want to share this with the world? This is a public forum. Are you thinking of posting something that could identify you to a friend or family member? Once you've posted, you can't delete what you've written and we don't take posts down from here unless they've broken one of our community rules. This is because our members spend a lot of time composing replies, and there is a much wider audience that gets a lot out of reading what has been written. It's not fair to ask the community for support, then ask to have it removed once you've read it so others can't also benefit. Use discretion when posting here - think about the level of detail you are sharing, and think also about who might know you are posting here. Also, please keep it clean: this is an all ages forum and explicit discussions about sexual problems are not permitted. Threads and posts of this nature will be removed and your account placed on a moderation hold. 2. What do you want to get out of posting here? Relationship and family issues are stressful. Members sometimes post here seeking advice about a relationship that has broken down, but find themselves getting upset when they don't agree with the response they get. This is a peer support forum, meaning we are not mental health professionals. We are people of all ages and backgrounds, with a wide range of life experiences. While we aim for our discussions to be conducted respectfully, people here will respond with the truth as they see it, from their own experiences and perspectives. We are not here to take sides. Offence is almost never intentional, but it can be sometimes taken. The advice you will see here is not intended to be a substitute for professional counselling. 3. What other support do you have? Most people posting on our forums (about any issue) use this space as a supplement to other supports. This forum is not and cannot be a substitute for offline supports, but it is often a good place to start the ball rolling and find the courage for seeking help. If you are relying solely on an internet forum to resolve your relationship or family issues, you are likely to be disappointed. Check out the Healthy Homes section of our Healthy Families website for further information and resources.

All discussions

Daisyxo Sinking into a black hole with no intimacy
  • replies: 3

Hi everyone, in my younger years I struggled alot with depression . As I've grown older I've managed to controlit and accept my feelings. I've been in a stable place mentally for the last 6 years . I'm 30 years old. 9 months ago I met my partner thro... View more

Hi everyone, in my younger years I struggled alot with depression . As I've grown older I've managed to controlit and accept my feelings. I've been in a stable place mentally for the last 6 years . I'm 30 years old. 9 months ago I met my partner through an online platform, we began seeing each other from different states until 3 months ago I moved to be with him. We have not had sex once the last 3 months , after 3 weeks I had to ask what was going on as he would turn away ebery time itried to kiss him for too long . He told me stress, days and weeks passed as I got more and more down on myself. I found myself retracting, closing up etc he would see how hurt I was but he could never give me an explanation. Fast forward to now, I've managed to get an insight into why which I won't discuss here but it may take months for us to have a sex life again and that's only a maybe. He still only tells me th3 bare minimum and each day I feel myself getting more depressed sinking into this hole. Along with thus there is zero intimacy , he has not kissed me properly, passionately once since I arrived 3 months ago - I've brought this up, he says he doesn't want to lead me on and disappoint me if I want more. ... ( let me add, he is very affectionate, hugs kisses on the cheek etc but nothing more than a peck) Living with the man I'm in love with who can't show intimacy , who can't kiss me or even share a moment with me is breaking me. We are now isolated together and I'm finding it hard to hold myself together around him, because what do I tell him if I break down, that I can't be with him if we can't have a sex life? That part isn't his fault. And how do I explain to someone what intimacy is and how the lack of it is destroying our relationship? When we lay in bed at night I wait for him to fall asleep just so I can cry. I hate it. I'm miserable but equally just as happy! I've met someone so compatible with me in every other way. This battle in my head is driving me crazy. I don't know how I can be ok in a relationship with a man who can't kiss me .

GeorgieD Trouble letting go of narcissist
  • replies: 8

Hi. i don’t know who to talk to about this as no one understands how I feel about my ex because it’s hard for people to understand trauma bonding if they haven’t ever experienced it before. I was with a narcissistic addict. He was my boyfriend when I... View more

Hi. i don’t know who to talk to about this as no one understands how I feel about my ex because it’s hard for people to understand trauma bonding if they haven’t ever experienced it before. I was with a narcissistic addict. He was my boyfriend when I was 14, then 10 years later we got together for just under 2 years. We have been broken up for 3 months now. He literally put me through hell mentally..how can I still feel love toward him?! I just don’t understand, when I think of him I have to remind myself of all the bad otherwise I’m obsessively thinking about him..I haven’t reached out because I know I can’t. We had a really bad cycle of breaking up and getting back together, he just always knew what to say to drag me back in. He is just always in my head no matter what I do. I just want to know how he is feeling with all of this, does he think of me how I think of him? Did he really love me the way he says he did. Is there anyone else going through the same thing? I need someone who understands to talk to about it because I can’t talk to my friends because they hold it against me and I just don’t feel comfortable.

kleighe Living in a toxic household
  • replies: 2

Hey guys, this is my first post! I'd love some advice from you regarding my current living situation. I live with my aunt her partner and her 2 teenage daughters. I moved interstate and had the impression I would be living in a stable and supportive ... View more

Hey guys, this is my first post! I'd love some advice from you regarding my current living situation. I live with my aunt her partner and her 2 teenage daughters. I moved interstate and had the impression I would be living in a stable and supportive household. It was that up until 6 months ago. The oldest daughter has been holding a grudge for 3 months and hasn't spoken a word to me, the other daughter has just recently moved home and there is no communication between myself and the two daughters. I have spoken to my aunty about the situation at hand and nothing has been resolved, it is so toxic. I recently lost my hours at my job due to the corona virus and yesterday my aunty expressed that she is financially struggling and I need to make more of effort with finding a job and basically blamed me for the situation, I stated it's out of my control what more could I do? The situation at hand is effecting me mentally and it is exhausting. My health is taking a huge hit for this and I don't know what to do. I can't afford to move out, it is a future plan but I wish I had better feelings about leaving the house on good terms with my aunty. My aunty has been my biggest support since a very young age and I've always turned to her for support but I feel so unsupported and neglected right now. I love my aunty to bits but I deserve better than this, any suggestions?

QuietLily I don't know what to do
  • replies: 1

So my now ex and I had been together for 4 years. We often said we were basically soul mates, as we got along so well, had so many interests in common and we've never really had an argument. For about a year or so though the relationships been rocky.... View more

So my now ex and I had been together for 4 years. We often said we were basically soul mates, as we got along so well, had so many interests in common and we've never really had an argument. For about a year or so though the relationships been rocky. We've technically split up and got back together a couple of times, we keep getting stuck in a rut with our relationship. We've broken up again, but this time he's actually moved out back to his parents so we can get some space. We've basically agreed that we don't work well together at the moment, since we've found ourselves stagnating, not really doing much to benefit ourselves, we've gained weight, become really lazy and we feed off each others bad habits. But through everything, I really am afraid to lose him. We've tried working things out as a couple but we don't have it in us at the moment it seems to keep a relationship going, we'd both rather focus on just ourselves. But I'm afraid that when we reach those goals and have bettered ourselves that he will have either moved on or not want to be with me anymore. Should I just try and move on? With how many times we've broken up and got back together, I'm scared to talk to him about things in case he things I'm trying to get back together right now, and get annoyed or something. I don't know what to do. Deep down I really do love him, we spoke so much about getting married, starting a family in a few years, getting a house together but now there's nothing and I don't want to end up losing him.

walkingBass Is there hope for a loving relationship where one side hates themselves?
  • replies: 2

For the moment I'm going to try leaving out the specifics of my relationship and ask for reactions to the concept in general. I suppose I'm hoping for responses that go "yes/no and here's why/an example", but of course I'll take whatever I can get:-) View more

For the moment I'm going to try leaving out the specifics of my relationship and ask for reactions to the concept in general. I suppose I'm hoping for responses that go "yes/no and here's why/an example", but of course I'll take whatever I can get:-)

KatD He’s not meeting my needs

My husband is quite selfish and short tempered. Blames others for everything instead of taking responsibility. I don’t like to ask him to do things around my house as everything is a huge effort and he just cracks the s***s when doing something. He g... View more

My husband is quite selfish and short tempered. Blames others for everything instead of taking responsibility. I don’t like to ask him to do things around my house as everything is a huge effort and he just cracks the s***s when doing something. He gets annoyed so easily. A big issue is that he does not make any effort to satisfy me sexually as much as I’ve discussed with him, shown him and tried. He says he’s sorry but does nothing about it. I love getting him off in different ways and he physically turns me on. I’m quite sexual and experienced as 9 years older but he has no stamina. He has never made me orgasm in six years. He lasts one minute if I’m lucky. I feel like we don’t emotionally and physically connect. I have this bizarre strongest attachment to him although I’ve left him 10 times to return upon his perseverance. We have a lot in common and I’m really attracted to him. I do however go in cycles where it’s all good, things improve, then I realise that s*** isn’t great and then I leave. We don’t live together as I love having my own space and home. This works for us although is unconventional. My first husband was emotionally abusive so I have found my strength and need my independence. I spoke to him tonight yet again about me not being satisfied. He yells “for f*** sake I was going to get that stuff” referring to the tablets to delay ejaculation but was costly and I was worried about safety. I explained he could use his hands etc and make some effort and that I was sick of masturbating. I told him I feel like he doesn’t care about me as I talk to him about it and he just gets on the defensive and angry. He fumbles around when manually ‘stimulating’ me and rarely gives me oral. Argh I don’t want to be in an unsatisfied marriage yet I love him. His selfishness is obviously not going to change though sadly. He has made no effort with his son. Has not seen him for weeks and not for Easter. I told him he should buy him an Easter egg and go see him but he didn’t. So sad. No effort with his daughter either. Just occasional phone calls. He has no relationship with his children whatsoever and that’s his choice as mothers have never got in the way. My children are my world. Every single day. My first priority. He absolutely loves my children but how can a father not want to see his children?? Sorry for the rant and if you got this far thanks for reading. Advice is greatly appreciated please from an outsiders perspective.

MumOf2boiz Not sure if emotional abuse or not .... can they change?
  • replies: 9

Hi all, First time posting here so thank you for reading this (sorry it’s a bit long!). basically I think my husband has a few narcissistic traits. He can’t see it and I feel like that just makes it so much worse..... I’m so sick of feeling belittled... View more

Hi all, First time posting here so thank you for reading this (sorry it’s a bit long!). basically I think my husband has a few narcissistic traits. He can’t see it and I feel like that just makes it so much worse..... I’m so sick of feeling belittled and practically ignored but we have two little ones together (a 21 month old and 5 month old). So I don’t know what to do... Basically My husband and I have been together for 8 years (married for 3) and I loved him dearly at the start. There were red flags but I told myself because of his troubled past/childhood that his frustration/ anger wasn’t his fault. However, now that we have kids and I have started on anti depressants, I’ve realised the truth. I’ve gained the self confidence to realise that my boys and I deserve better. ESPECIALLY my boys. I only want the best for them and I don’t like them seeing how my husband treats me. We’re seeing a counsellor (only had two sessions) but I still feel like he’s not trying to change. his behaviour includes, name calling (he has tried hard to stop this one), talking down/dismissing my feelings, gets super defensive over everything I say, never takes the blame for anything, it’s always my fault, I Honestly feel like he gets annoyed when I’m happy, he’s easily frustrated and gives me the worst attitude, and it’s always about him. If he’s tired, he won’t help out, if he’s Had enough of an outing we have to stop what we’re doing (we went to dreamworld and because he’d had enough we all had to leave). I feel like I’m always saying it’s not about you anymore, it’s about our two boys but he still doesn’t get it! I think the most upsetting thing was when I went through my postnatal depression, I said I needed more from him and I felt like he wasn’t there for me at all and that hurt ALOT. My brother in law noticed the depression in me more than my husband.... I guess, all I’m wanting to know is, can they change??

Widowedmumof3 Does a relationship give you an identity?
  • replies: 6

I have been seeing a man on & off for almost a year now. He is in his early 50s, lives at home with his parents, he suffered a job related PTSD breakdown around 6 years ago. I am in my late 40s & have 3 kids (2 in their late teens, the other 13). My ... View more

I have been seeing a man on & off for almost a year now. He is in his early 50s, lives at home with his parents, he suffered a job related PTSD breakdown around 6 years ago. I am in my late 40s & have 3 kids (2 in their late teens, the other 13). My husband passed away 2 years ago. When we first began seeing each other I was still coming to terms with the loss of my husband as were my children. He was extremely caring, wanting to "counsel" me, to be a "better person", he would listen intently. I am very empathetic, I do always look for the good in others & I am guilty of fence sitting and keeping the peace. I have been working on for myself since my husband passed away to find my inner strength, to be there for my children, to grow & to be in control of my life. Our happy relationship didn't last long, then it turned almost narcissistic (as mine & his friends told me) he tried control every decision that i would make, selling my home, parenting my children. When I did not take his advice he grew angry and would lash out verbally. Things came to a head & inevitably he lost the majority of his friends & me, as they felt he was abusive and disrespectful. We broke up for 4 months. During this time I regained my strength. I joined the gym, I studied mindfulness. I was healthier physically, mentally and emotionally than I had been in years. But he was always on my mind. So I contacted him, he had done very little with himself during this time. His brother had taken him in, to "protect" him. We were happy. We both agreed we would take things slowly, keeping things between us until we made sure we were in a good place. We have had many ups and downs again. For me, I feel pressured to bring him into my home, which should be a natural occurrence, but I am fearful with his personality type, he can be extremely upfront & judgemental; my kids wont tolerate that, they don't think highly of him anyway. I have tried to help him, as he is not happy in his life, suffering job related PTSD he has lost all identity but he wants someone else to find it for him. His happiness is upto everyone else. He has lost his identity in our relationship and therefore this is why he is so negative all the time. I dont believe this is true, you shouldnt be identified by your relationship?? Am i wrong in thinking this? I am at a loss as to what to do. I dont like being pushed, i have explained this, but my past, my feelings are all excuses to him. I feel worthless, maybe I am as he says.

opuses Feeling useless......My son is in jail....... (TRIGGER WARNING - sexual assault)
  • replies: 5

Hello, I don't know who to talk to about this that might understand. Am hoping someone here is going through something similar and we can discuss together. My son at 20 years of age was accused by his gf of horrific sexual assaults, the stuff you onl... View more

Hello, I don't know who to talk to about this that might understand. Am hoping someone here is going through something similar and we can discuss together. My son at 20 years of age was accused by his gf of horrific sexual assaults, the stuff you only hear about on the crime channel, and worse and has been held in remand for over 8 months now whilst awaiting lawyers to get their act together etc etc. I'm lost as to what to think. Did he do these horrible things or didn't he? Is she lying to get back at him for something etc...all these things constantly go through my mind and after 8 months am no closer to figuring it out. I like to think I can read people well but this one has me stumped for the first time in my life. I also like to think I'm not too biased given he's my son, fair is fair and if you've done wrong you need to pay. I think my problem is I don't know which one to believe, so I can't move forward in my feelings. I'm worried she's accused him over spite but then again I'm scared he did do these things. Which one is worse????? He's always been angry and hot headed as a teenager, disrespectful at times and all that but this is a whole new level of I don't know what! You think that you'd know if these things are happening in the room next to you, which is where she's saying they all happened, with serious physical wounding which in the whole 10months that she lived with us, we never saw. Anyway, the lawyers tell us a women can send a man to jail purely on her words. WHAT? I can't begin to understand the injustice in that. Someone's word is not evidence and I do understand these crimes usually only involve two people but, how easy is it these days for a woman to say "he did this" and with nothing else, he gets sent to prison?? So, I don't know what to think, my partner is very supportive but it's not his child so he's not feeling what I'm feeling and would love to talk to people who may have gone through something similar......

Rhicooper7 Too young for a baby or family just being unsupportive

Hi i'm 19 years turning 20 at the moment and I am in a relationship with my boyfriend who is 22 turning 23. We have been together for almost 2 years and we love each other a lot, we live together and feel very certain that this relationship is long t... View more

Hi i'm 19 years turning 20 at the moment and I am in a relationship with my boyfriend who is 22 turning 23. We have been together for almost 2 years and we love each other a lot, we live together and feel very certain that this relationship is long term. We have had casual discussions about marriage and kids and both definitely want the same things in those areas, he has mentioned that maybe by the end of next year he would like us to be engaged and get married hopefully sometime within the following year and then start a family basically straight after. That would make me 21 or 22 and him 24 or 25 I haven't told anyone this especially my parents because they have very strong opinions about having kids young and especially don't want me to, they have already disapproved of my choice to move an hour away from them to live with my boyfriend as he cant leave his job and i was in a position to leave mine. I want to live my life the way I want to but i'm scared that my parents will reject me and my baby. Their approval of me is really important and I want them to be proud of me I don't know what to do have my baby and try to deal with their opinions or wait any advice would be greatly appreciated