Relationship and family issues

Anything to do with managing relationships and family, including parenting, separation, loneliness, divorce, family and friendships.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: 3 important tips to get the most out of this section
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following... View more

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following 3 tips: 1. Do you really want to share this with the world? This is a public forum. Are you thinking of posting something that could identify you to a friend or family member? Once you've posted, you can't delete what you've written and we don't take posts down from here unless they've broken one of our community rules. This is because our members spend a lot of time composing replies, and there is a much wider audience that gets a lot out of reading what has been written. It's not fair to ask the community for support, then ask to have it removed once you've read it so others can't also benefit. Use discretion when posting here - think about the level of detail you are sharing, and think also about who might know you are posting here. Also, please keep it clean: this is an all ages forum and explicit discussions about sexual problems are not permitted. Threads and posts of this nature will be removed and your account placed on a moderation hold. 2. What do you want to get out of posting here? Relationship and family issues are stressful. Members sometimes post here seeking advice about a relationship that has broken down, but find themselves getting upset when they don't agree with the response they get. This is a peer support forum, meaning we are not mental health professionals. We are people of all ages and backgrounds, with a wide range of life experiences. While we aim for our discussions to be conducted respectfully, people here will respond with the truth as they see it, from their own experiences and perspectives. We are not here to take sides. Offence is almost never intentional, but it can be sometimes taken. The advice you will see here is not intended to be a substitute for professional counselling. 3. What other support do you have? Most people posting on our forums (about any issue) use this space as a supplement to other supports. This forum is not and cannot be a substitute for offline supports, but it is often a good place to start the ball rolling and find the courage for seeking help. If you are relying solely on an internet forum to resolve your relationship or family issues, you are likely to be disappointed. Check out the Healthy Homes section of our Healthy Families website for further information and resources.

All discussions

Nick123 Don't know how to ask my parents for help and I am afraid of the answer
  • replies: 2

Often when I show emotions to my family I am met with a response of, "I am just a teen" or "you're being a baby". Because of this I am scared to ask them for help because I feel that they will dismiss it as being a "teen". Because of my brothers deat... View more

Often when I show emotions to my family I am met with a response of, "I am just a teen" or "you're being a baby". Because of this I am scared to ask them for help because I feel that they will dismiss it as being a "teen". Because of my brothers death everyone has been on edge and in turn everyone have been quite mean and dismissive. My family have also been trying to protect my parents. I feel that if I say I need help as well it will be seen as me trying to get attention and not taken seriously.

Bubsymc Adult separation anxiety
  • replies: 1

Hi I’m a newbie to this forum. I suffer really bad anxiety when my husband goes out without me - only for a few hours. It’s really hurting him but I can’t seem to control the anxiety or jealousy that he’s having a good time and I’m not. It’s destroyi... View more

Hi I’m a newbie to this forum. I suffer really bad anxiety when my husband goes out without me - only for a few hours. It’s really hurting him but I can’t seem to control the anxiety or jealousy that he’s having a good time and I’m not. It’s destroying our long marriage. It’s like an out of body experience that I can’t control - crying, can’t eat or sleep and sometimes anger. And sometimes I’m not even aware of it happening like it’s all in subconscious and then manifests out itself later on. Seen a few psychologists and can’t seem to find the root cause to stop this. Had anyone experienced this? Thanks.

WTCTC New to this - Dont know where to start

Not sure where to start but wanting change. My husband and I are in a horrible cycle and I feel useless and unable to do anything right - well - what ever I do feels wrong and the cycle begins again!! We have 2 beautiful children - Our son 13 and my ... View more

Not sure where to start but wanting change. My husband and I are in a horrible cycle and I feel useless and unable to do anything right - well - what ever I do feels wrong and the cycle begins again!! We have 2 beautiful children - Our son 13 and my daughter age 11 who has OCD - diagnose 2 years ago and who I continue to try and support but know our continual fighting and arguments are destroying any efforts in trying to help her work thru her world...along with this COVID pandemic her OCD is just crippling at times -to all the family. Most of my days are filled with thoughts of blame - hating myself for my daughter OCD as we feed off each other when we are in this state - my son cry's when there is another argument that and unpleasant incident in the household - my thoughts of how to get out of this situation is constant - I have had enough and don't know how to stop this roller coaster of emotions. Maybe this is the start - know I need help - just overwhelming to make a start Feeling hopeful to change this cycle Overwhelmed and feeling exhausted

Isla_Dreams Deciding to start a family when you can't even decide what's for lunch!

My partner and I have been together for 8 years almost, in our early 30's. All our friends/family are starting their own families and I am feeling more pressure than ever to have to decide what to do. It is such a big decision, but of course my anxio... View more

My partner and I have been together for 8 years almost, in our early 30's. All our friends/family are starting their own families and I am feeling more pressure than ever to have to decide what to do. It is such a big decision, but of course my anxious mind is clouding everything. I can't decide what to have for lunch, let alone decide if I want to have a child! A part of me wants that, but then I am overcome with issues of my own self doubt and insecurities and feel like It is safer for me to just remain childless so as not to burden them with my worries and woes. My partner doesn't seem to want to talk about it, and doesn't not seem to be thinking about theses much as I do. I am at a good place In my job and we are trying to save for a house, which will be impossible on one income. Has anyone else been through a similar experience? I think about it constantly, distracting me from my everyday. We have so many friends and family constantly asking if we are going to have kids, and I am sure I am being paranoid, but feel really judged because we aren't trying for a family.

ReeCar123 When love is not enough
  • replies: 4

Hi All, my partner and I have recently made the painful but necessary decision to go separate ways for now. We love each other dearly and miss each other very much but he has a lot of old wounds, both from childhood and a past toxic marriage that nee... View more

Hi All, my partner and I have recently made the painful but necessary decision to go separate ways for now. We love each other dearly and miss each other very much but he has a lot of old wounds, both from childhood and a past toxic marriage that need to be healed first before he will be truly able to live a life without guilt, avoidance and fear. I will work on myself too and although we do not know what the future holds and it may not hold each other for us, we are both hopeful and see this as a great opportunity to get ourselves to a better level of awareness of self and a better quality of life so that we can truly love (each other) fully one day. We would like to have another chance with each other but I am not sure whether it will be so in the end. Only time will tell, I guess. I know everything will be ok in the end, no matter what, we will be ok.But at the moment, since this is all fresh and I love him very much, I am still hoping to have him in my life again one day. We are very kind and warm with each other still and not entirely cut off from each other but we implement boundaries on purpose because we know that if we perpetuate old patterns, nothing lasting and good will come from it. So long story short, I am wondering whether anyone has any stories of successful reconnection with a person they loved after the hard work was done. I would really like some words of encouragement and hope right now. I know I might be holding on to a weak straw and I also know that, one day, this hope might fade and that will be ok, too. But right now, something positive would really help. So if you have anything positive to share, I would be eternally grateful. Thank you in advance and I wish you all the best in return.

Heavenly_Flower Sons struggle

I’m not sure if this will help me but I’m going to try putting down these feelings of despair and anguish in the hopes that I may find some relief. I am in a very precarious position , one that I placed myself in as I felt I had no other option and t... View more

I’m not sure if this will help me but I’m going to try putting down these feelings of despair and anguish in the hopes that I may find some relief. I am in a very precarious position , one that I placed myself in as I felt I had no other option and this was the end of the line for me , the last straw. The emotional abuse turned physical 1 time then another and with that I found the strength to take myself into the courts to declare myself a mess and am applying for a restraining order against my own son . The most undignified position for me to find myself to be . In my life ,I have loved and sacrificed cared nurtured and defended my sons honour. Always making it known that I have his back and that I understand his struggles. Or at the very least an ear for him to talk to. Then the pandemic. Not knowing where he is living if he is safe kills me a little bit everyday. The worry is always just one thought away and has the potential to spiral me down into the very depths of despair. I’m holding onto my love for my son. I pray the light of my love reaches him everyday.

Heartcentred A Poem on Love
  • replies: 6

Hello! Just a short poem on love. I hope it brings inspiration and helps identify the small acts of love... ** Love is the feeling of pure joy Love is the feeling of excitement Love fills your heart and makes you smile When a loved one says, be caref... View more

Hello! Just a short poem on love. I hope it brings inspiration and helps identify the small acts of love... ** Love is the feeling of pure joy Love is the feeling of excitement Love fills your heart and makes you smile When a loved one says, be careful - it is a way of expressing their love for your safety When someone asks you how you are - they are expressing their love for your feelings Feel the love and express it to those who are yet to feel the love, for it will do good for the greater community **

Indoz Confused about us

I am so confused about our marriage and have been since nearly past 2 years. We were so much in love, but it just doesn’t exist anymore. We don’t talk much and I don’t feel any emotional connection between us. I guess one of the biggest reason our re... View more

I am so confused about our marriage and have been since nearly past 2 years. We were so much in love, but it just doesn’t exist anymore. We don’t talk much and I don’t feel any emotional connection between us. I guess one of the biggest reason our relationship was great was because he use to be very calm, loving and full of positive emotions. But it has all changed, he has now become repulsive, and snaps. He blames me for his behaviour change and believes that I have been dominating him since our marriage and now he doesn’t want that. He doesn’t understand that his snapping behaviour is causing us emotional grief. I go through sleepless nights. We have lost all intimacy and emotional balance in our marriage. The only time we talk is if we need something done at home. Every time I try to talk to him, he says he understands that things are not the same but we will work it out. I have told him that this whole relationship turmoil is leading me to have an affair where I can find someone to emotionally support me. And all he says is that it’s fine and I am an adult who can make their own decision. I don’t understand if our relationship will go back to what it was or not? I love him, what can I do to fix it?

PinkPigg Keep pushing people away old/new relationships

I've been trying to reach out to people who I once pushed away when my anxiety and depression was really bad. I've begun taking medication and have a better mindset, but I can't connect with anyone and it's making me spiral back into a deep depressio... View more

I've been trying to reach out to people who I once pushed away when my anxiety and depression was really bad. I've begun taking medication and have a better mindset, but I can't connect with anyone and it's making me spiral back into a deep depression. I need advice in maintaining/fixing old and new friendships/relationships. I've been alone for a while and want to make an effort but even then it doesn't look like anything I'm doing is working.