Relationship and family issues

Anything to do with managing relationships and family, including parenting, separation, loneliness, divorce, family and friendships.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: 3 important tips to get the most out of this section
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following... View more

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following 3 tips: 1. Do you really want to share this with the world? This is a public forum. Are you thinking of posting something that could identify you to a friend or family member? Once you've posted, you can't delete what you've written and we don't take posts down from here unless they've broken one of our community rules. This is because our members spend a lot of time composing replies, and there is a much wider audience that gets a lot out of reading what has been written. It's not fair to ask the community for support, then ask to have it removed once you've read it so others can't also benefit. Use discretion when posting here - think about the level of detail you are sharing, and think also about who might know you are posting here. Also, please keep it clean: this is an all ages forum and explicit discussions about sexual problems are not permitted. Threads and posts of this nature will be removed and your account placed on a moderation hold. 2. What do you want to get out of posting here? Relationship and family issues are stressful. Members sometimes post here seeking advice about a relationship that has broken down, but find themselves getting upset when they don't agree with the response they get. This is a peer support forum, meaning we are not mental health professionals. We are people of all ages and backgrounds, with a wide range of life experiences. While we aim for our discussions to be conducted respectfully, people here will respond with the truth as they see it, from their own experiences and perspectives. We are not here to take sides. Offence is almost never intentional, but it can be sometimes taken. The advice you will see here is not intended to be a substitute for professional counselling. 3. What other support do you have? Most people posting on our forums (about any issue) use this space as a supplement to other supports. This forum is not and cannot be a substitute for offline supports, but it is often a good place to start the ball rolling and find the courage for seeking help. If you are relying solely on an internet forum to resolve your relationship or family issues, you are likely to be disappointed. Check out the Healthy Homes section of our Healthy Families website for further information and resources.

All discussions

KKPop Marriage Crisis - Mental Breakdown
  • replies: 2

I have been with my husband for 25 years. He cheated on me 4 years ago with a random man while he was drunk and I left him. We have since reconciled after his determined efforts to make it up to me, and we have been quite ok since. A few weeks ago I ... View more

I have been with my husband for 25 years. He cheated on me 4 years ago with a random man while he was drunk and I left him. We have since reconciled after his determined efforts to make it up to me, and we have been quite ok since. A few weeks ago I discovered he had a 3 day affair with a woman at work. This was the biggest shock of my life and I have been a nervous wreck ever since. My eyes/face won't stop twitching, I feel pins and needles everywhere, I can barely eat, I feel suspicious and paranoid and have had bouts of extreme grief where I am crying and cannot even stand for hours on end. He says he has ended it and feels very guilty, but he might move out next month to give himself 'time' to sort his head out, and so we can work though our issues. He is willing to go to couples therapy, but we cannot get in to see a psychologist until April, where else can we seek urgent help to save our marriage? I have to go back to work in 1 week, but know I cannot cope if I am a wreck like this. I thought I was stronger than this, but just cannot get the physical symptoms under control, all the twitching and shaking, nor do I know what to do about my husband. I feel in despair and don't know where to turn. We also have 3 children.

QuartzJade My partner isn't himself (detached)
  • replies: 2

He is very withdrawn and numb. He isn't acting like himself more like an emotionless ghost. He doesn't believe in therapy or medication. I'm just afraid to "push him" to work on his mental health. I am worried because he so detached currently that i ... View more

He is very withdrawn and numb. He isn't acting like himself more like an emotionless ghost. He doesn't believe in therapy or medication. I'm just afraid to "push him" to work on his mental health. I am worried because he so detached currently that i think he would break up with me if I push (detached and wouldn't care), or breakup with me because he isn't happy. I don't want to give up but what should I do?

Zaee I keep talking about my ex
  • replies: 5

6 months ago I split from my ex. The relationship lasted 4 years. Engaged for a year. I stopped loving her pretty much after I proposed. It felt off and not right and was unhealthy. Lots happened and i was in a bad state mentally and physically. I fi... View more

6 months ago I split from my ex. The relationship lasted 4 years. Engaged for a year. I stopped loving her pretty much after I proposed. It felt off and not right and was unhealthy. Lots happened and i was in a bad state mentally and physically. I finally snapped one day and ended things. Not only for me but for her. We were emotionally hurting each other and we were not compatiable. I got myself on the right path had tonnes going for me. Feeling way better in life. Then randomly I met someone. I wasnt looking but our chemistry was there. Everything was perfect, we started dating and have been together for about a month. But i keep talking about my ex. I dont purposely bring her up and I realised its too much and its weird. I also realised Im suffering from some issues where randomly something will trigger in my mind as a red flag and ill freak out. Even if i know the opposite. Like my girlfriend is pretty open with me and subconciously i find myself looking at her phone while im with her. While shes msging people whether it be friends, family, her Personal trainer etc. I dont even mean to do it. She noticed and said it feels weird and she would like some privacy. Which i have no issue giving and didnt realise I did that to her. And we are only talking about this now because last night i freaked out cause her wanting some privacy made me have a weird red flag moment as if she was trying to hide something. But i know she isnt. She just wants normal convos with friends without feeling like theres a set of eyes watching. And i realised subconciously i think the trust issues i had with my ex seeped in. And I dont want to be like that. I do trust her and have no issue with her having her own convos with people and idk why i was doing it. Like 90% of the time i wasnt even reading the msgs when i looked at her phone i just subconciously was staring at it etc. I pushed a boundary as i know she likes her own private personal space and i didnt mean to. And she isnt sure if we are ready for a relationship cause she feels like she has done something wrong for wanting her own private time to talk to people, she feels like i have to see everything. Though i reasurred her she isnt in the wrong for that and that I dont want to see everything, nor am I worried or stressed to. What do I do.. whats wrong with me?

Bootsie19 Husband left me after he went off his meds
  • replies: 3

My husband was diagnosed with bipolar 7 years ago. A couple of months ago he felt like he was wrongly diagnosed and went off his meds. He started feeling better. On Christmas Eve he left me saying his mind was telling him to. He has gone to live with... View more

My husband was diagnosed with bipolar 7 years ago. A couple of months ago he felt like he was wrongly diagnosed and went off his meds. He started feeling better. On Christmas Eve he left me saying his mind was telling him to. He has gone to live with his family and says that I caused his pain and anxiety for the past 7 years and if it wasn’t for me he’d have never been diagnosed as bipolar. We are also 8 weeks pregnant. His family believe he isn’t sick. I don’t know what to do.

Struggling247 Advice needed, how to move on from a partner with BPD

I broke up with my girlfriend who has BPD a few months ago, after she told me she no longer found me attractive. A few days later whilst continuing to keep me around, telling me I’d always be her best friend, I found out she slept with a guy she work... View more

I broke up with my girlfriend who has BPD a few months ago, after she told me she no longer found me attractive. A few days later whilst continuing to keep me around, telling me I’d always be her best friend, I found out she slept with a guy she worked with. When I found out I was initially furious, and heart broken, but after ignoring her for 2 weeks she begged me to see her again and now, at her request I continue to see her everyday. I hate myself for being at her whim, but I can’t seem to shake her. It’s like an addiction. Being with her has ruined relationships I had with friends and family & I’m constantly walking on eggshells to avoid confrontation. I don’t know what to do. She now tells me she finds me attractive again & is begging me to come back to her. When I tell her that I can no longer trust her and that I only want to be her friend she breaks-down. I’ve had to take her to hospital as she has threatened suicide; almost every other day she goes into a deep depression. I can see how manipulative she is, how she lies to me and plays me, but I can’t rid myself of her. I know in my heart that I am good to her, but she constantly tells me what a horrible person I am. I need to find the strength to resist her, to find my self-worth and to move on, but I feel as though I’m trapped. I want to be with her, I want to look after her, I want to love her, but I know she’s not good for me. Friends tell me to block her but it’s just not that easy, we live in the same street, I cant just avoid her. Any advice from anyone who’s been in a similar situation and moved on, would be appreciated.

Danny1234 How to deal with Inlaws rejecting my children.
  • replies: 3

My inlaws live 5 minutes away and never ask to see my children. They see my partners, brothers kids every week. Always offering to baby sit and help them. We get no help at all, we haven’t had a date night in over 2 years. It makes me want to never s... View more

My inlaws live 5 minutes away and never ask to see my children. They see my partners, brothers kids every week. Always offering to baby sit and help them. We get no help at all, we haven’t had a date night in over 2 years. It makes me want to never speak to them again. My partner makes me do birthdays and Christmas. I can tell we are only invited due to being related. It has affected me so much this week, I have gone into a depressive episode. Feeling like there is something wrong with me and my kids. They always say how much they look like me, as it is such a negative to do so. I just want to quit his family and my partner won’t let me. I was in youth homes so long story short, my family don’t care about me much either. How do I cope. It’s affecting me so much for some reason.

Loulou79 Living with parents
  • replies: 4

Hi there I'm new here and am basically seeking any advice. My partner and I recently moved in with my parents due to both parties needing to find a bigger space to rent, and therefore we decided to pool our finances together to rent a bigger home. Ba... View more

Hi there I'm new here and am basically seeking any advice. My partner and I recently moved in with my parents due to both parties needing to find a bigger space to rent, and therefore we decided to pool our finances together to rent a bigger home. Backstory: My parents initially loved my partner while he had a professional job in the city, but he recently gave that away to focus on pursuing his dream which I am fully supportive of. That's just the thing. They are furious that he does not contribute financially to our life together at the moment and that I'm the sole income earner. My partner and I got engaged and have decided to start a family and my parents feel that there is no way that we can do this on one income. We had quite some words over my parents concerns before moving in with them and we felt that we had all come to a mutual understanding and respect for one another. However, since moving in together they have treated my partner poorly and have said that he is turning me against them. The truth is, their behaviour has been so childish (talking under their breath, laughing under their breath, disagreeing with everything he says, blaming him for things around the house etc.) It's the very behaviour that we teach our children not to do. I love and trust my partner period, and I am one lucky woman to have found him. I have therefore spoken with my parents on numerous occasions (sometimes it led to very loud arguments between us because they would not listen to me or let me finish talking), trying to help them to understand that they are actually also hurting me by hurting my partner, but they still continue to treat him poorly. The fact is we are stuck in this situation as we cannot afford to move again and we have a year left on the lease. My partner is so very patient and repeatedly ignores my parents behaviour, but I know it's taking a toll on him. We have a little one arriving in less than 3 weeks and I just need some advice on how to move forward or how I can help my partner while we are all under this roof for a year. I can feel how hard it must be for him to be treated this way all the time, especially seeing he works from home and my parents are retired and are not very socially active and therefore stay home all the time watching his every move. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading my post and I hope to hear from you soon.

Guest_1584 What does this mean , wth is wrong with me, is anyone else like this ? l need so much space.
  • replies: 157

Hi bb . Really hoping for some insight and feedback here because l can't afford to see someone. My partner is down again from her city , been down a few wks now and can stay indefinitely right now as she's had legal business up home but it looks like... View more

Hi bb . Really hoping for some insight and feedback here because l can't afford to see someone. My partner is down again from her city , been down a few wks now and can stay indefinitely right now as she's had legal business up home but it looks like that could be done for at least this yr now. We've always lived really well together she's easy to be around , does nothing to make me the way l am no one ever has really although my ex w def' use to get a bit much which also made me head for solitude but at least there was a reason . Thing is , with my partner bow , friends or people around , even my daughter , l just become in desperate need alone time after awhile. lt doresn't matter who it is or how much l enjoy them around , l can only take so much of it but then l just have to get away for some time to myself. My partner doesn't understand how l'm like this or why and she does nothing to bring it on , being around anyone after a certain amount of time just does and if l don go off and hide out alone for awhile l just gt exhausted and in filthy moods.. l'm talking daily. Even her or say my daughter who is the easiest person you'd get to be around , and she likes her space too , yet even with her. l mean l'm a fun person and do love some fun and social time , but then ok , l've had enough now l have to go. With my partner if we're both around all day night which l work at home and she only works pt so that's quite often. l'll need a few hours to myself before she gets up , then a few more later in the afternoon and even after that l like if l can get it an hour or so before l go to bed , just alone time. Because although we do sleep beautifully together , l just don't feel like being ion bed bside someone all night without another bit of a break first. l'm bloody weird , l've always been like this but it is a bit worse now as l'm older and since divorce l've either lived alone or spent a lot of time alone, Wth can't l cope and just enjoy relationships and being with special people like everyone else. My gf can be around me 24 7 , so could my ex w , so can my daughter , wth is wrong with me, Any feed back appreciated . rx

Mr_E Complex Situation with my family
  • replies: 14

1. I have obscured detail to protect the innocent and cause no harm. 2. I would like advice, different perspectives, and help. 3. I have support of my closest friend, who thinks the same as me. Good support, but a similar perspective. The situation: ... View more

1. I have obscured detail to protect the innocent and cause no harm. 2. I would like advice, different perspectives, and help. 3. I have support of my closest friend, who thinks the same as me. Good support, but a similar perspective. The situation: Several years ago, my sister In-law married a man who is a convicted child molester. At the time, my wife and I disowned and disconnected with them, it was a tough decision as my wife and her sister were extremely close but with children of our own we felt it was the best option. After a few years, my sister in-law had a child with this man. After a few more years my sister in-law was diagnosed with a rare genetic condition and given 12 months to live, at this time my wife reconnected with her sister. We agreed that our children would never set foot in their house, and if the sister in-law wanted to meet at our house, we would support that so that we could spend what little time we had together. Recently my sister in-law died, leaving everyone understandably devastated, and one of her wishes was that my wife remains close to her child. This means we now need to interact directly with the convicted child molester. Our children still will not set foot in his house, but now he will drop their child at our house, this disgusts me. He makes my blood boil, I do not want him anywhere near my family, including my wife. I do not trust this man at all, and I have no reason to believe he won’t reoffend. I cannot talk to my wife about this yet, as the pain of recently losing her sister is still too much. Ultimately, I am concerned for their child as well, but I have only spent a handful of hours with the child. How do I move forward? I fear that the on-going interaction with my wife and this man will result in her letting her guard down. I do not want my family to interact with him. I love my Wife so much and I do not want this to break us apart. She has already helped look after the child several times, sometimes at their house and sometimes the child has come to our house. It's driving me insane; I am repulsed on so many levels - but I understand why she needs to do it. To help understand my perspective, I lost a close friend after they were a victim of child molestation - To me, this is the worst crime anyone can commit. I feel like there is no way out of this situation. Could we get custody of the child (is that even possible?). Should I try convince my wife to completely disconnect? I need some help.

Russell0214 I Miss my Wife

Me and my wife have just recently separated we have been married for a little over a year now but been together for close to 11 years. After being together for about 6 years my brother moved in with and my girlfriend. Due to me investing so much time... View more

Me and my wife have just recently separated we have been married for a little over a year now but been together for close to 11 years. After being together for about 6 years my brother moved in with and my girlfriend. Due to me investing so much time in work and not being apart of home life anymore my wife and I decided to separate. Shortly after me leaving my girlfriend formed a relationship with my brother. This continued on for about 6 months. During this 6 months my girlfriend fell pregnant to my brother but decided that its not something she wants to go through with and terminated the child and the relationship. Over the next few months we decided that we were going to give it another shot so we started couples counseling. After about 2 years, after the situation she fell pregnant to my 3 childshortly after that we got married. I still carry a lot of insecurities from those times. I find it hard to listen to certain music ( matchbox 20, my brother absolute favorite band as it used to be playing in my house all the time during their relationship ). Also I suffer from nightmare almost flashbacks from what was seen and heard during that time. This is the reason why my wife has left this time she says I am controlling because she feels like she has to censor what she watches or listens to as it upsets me. 2 days before my wife left me I found out that she has been snapchatting a male friend and she said this has been going on for a few weeks now they talk everyday. This is he first time I have heard about this bloke so I questioned her about it and this made her more angry saying the only reason why its an issue is because he is a male and that it is just a friend. 2 days before wife left me she said she has been unhappy for a round 6 months now, in this time we have gone on family holidays romantic getaways with just us and nothing has been said to me about her being unhappy in anyway I honestly thought the last 6 months was one of the most happiest times in our relationship. When we are alone its like nothing has ever changed we hug we kiss we sleep together. Ive asked her on many occasion why can it happen behind closed doors but not in public. Throughout this 2weeks I have asked her many times if things can be fixed her response is I don't know yet I need time to think. I am finding it so hard to process all of this with the affection behind closed doors to the continuing every single day snapchatting relationship with this bloke.