FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Autism

Community Member

Has anyone gone through a relationship breakup because of a child with Autism? 

I feel pretty worthless that a man I was with for 3 years has left me because it's all too hard. I have grief depression & it's extremely difficult. My son has many issues but I can't change any of it. My ex didn't want to do it anymore. I feel so rejected & my self esteem has been completely shot! 

Anyone gone through a similar experience? This was the first relationship after my Divorce which was 7 years ago. 

2 Replies 2

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hello and welcome.

I'm really sorry to hear about the pain you're going through right now. Breakups are already challenging, and dealing with additional difficulties you face can make it even more overwhelming. And I hope that in writing the post you might have been able to release some of the hurt you must be feeling?

I would also say that your feelings of worthlessness and rejection would be normal in this situation, but ... remember that your worth isn't defined by this situation. Do you have friends and family that you can reach out for support?

Listening if you want to chat...

Community Member

Hello, 

My son is just mentally & emotionally draining me. I've been diagnosed with grief depression.

I'm on a carers pension for him & I also have an 11 year old daughter. I had to quickly move out of my ex house & got where ever I could. 

My son is very difficult & my current ex also got diagnosed with adhd in 2020. So now I am on my own. I've already been divorced 7 years ago & I feel extremely worthless. 

Thank you for chatting to me