FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety on Name of Daughter

Thesunwillcomeup
Community Member

Apologises if this isn't meant to be here, but my wife and i are struggling, and we need help.

We named our beautiful daughter "Lana" 9 years ago, and didn't know the issue with backwards spelling at the time. It has been pointed out since, and recently because of some crap Netflix Reality show, they have exploited the backwards spelling for commerical gain. Unfortunately girls in her school are now starting the bullying and teasing.

We feel terrible and regret the decision we made. We love the name, but now think we might need to take action. It is eating us inside, that we might have created such a life long issue for our daughter.

Any help

2 Replies 2

Velaris
Community Member

Hi,

I understand that you and your wife really love the name. Is your daughter still happy going to the same school? Does she want to move?. Unfortunately young girls are not always the nicest, and they will probably continue teasing her no matter what school she goes to . If your daughter is really unhappy with her name maybe consider getting her name changed to something she likes?. Maybe have a discussion with your wife a daughter and see what it is that your daughter wants to do. I understand that your daughter is still young so maybe explain how this is something that she really needs to think carefully about. As someone who has gone through the name change process before, I know how it feels to have a name that you don't want to be associated with or called. It is such a major part of you identity and if she is truly unhappy I think you should consider a name change. 

Thanks for the reply. 

Our daughter is too young to fully understand the issue, and isn't effected by the name etc.. yet! The stuff at school might stop, and she currently loves her name. 

Our Anxiety relates to the potential situation we have created. Is this name something that really will be exploited and create ongoing issues. As it isn't a common name, i doubt there is anyone who has experience with it. Are we just overthinking this, its the backward spelling of a name really going to be an issue.