FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety of falling out of love?

Cait999
Community Member

I’ve been with my boyfriend for 7 years and everything has been reasonably good. All of a sudden in the past few months I have an insane gut feeling that things need to change and that I would be better off alone but in my head I can’t pin point anything that is wrong, in fact everything is really good. Is this anxiety or should I be listening to my gut?

1 Reply 1

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

It's really something only you can answer but I'll see what we come up with.

Love is interpreted in so many ways. But no longer being "in love" can also be questionable. If you feel uncared for, less than a priority than you'd like, your common and acceptable expectations arent being met etc then it could be other issues not necessarily "out of love."

A good example is spending quality time together. If that isnt happening it could be that you are working too long hours to save for a home for example. Then the answer could be to put aside quality time eg a movie, romantic dinner, camping even just overnight to fill that void. As you said "...in fact everything is really good" so I would suggest you look into areas whereby you feel less fulfilled than you used to.

It could also be "intrusive thoughts". We champions here are those with mental health issues and so we are very well adverse to intrusive thoughts and their effects on us.  It happens when we doubt ourselves, our life, our problems and we dream up unrealistic possible events. This could be a case with yourself, that your mind wanders towards "what ifs". This might not be a serious situation, it might require some therapy or couples counselling even if you go alone. 

Thankyou for posting, you have reached out and tried to find a remedy for what you might not understand fully. That's commendable.  I hope this helps.

Reply anytime

TonyWK

TonyWK