FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Am I Overreacting?

Charsybee
Community Member

Good Morning. I`m a newbie as of today. I have been up for most of the evening thinking about a comment my husband made yesterday. He said in a joking manner that " I`m his misery ". Initially I felt hurt by his comment and didn`t understand how that was suppose to be funny. I have been through a lot of crap over the years with him. Lets just say he has lied and cheated on me in the past. Mind you that was quite a few years ago. But since then I have had a bad back injury from work and then got stage 4 stomach cancer which I managed to fight off. As you can imagine the comment hit me hard as I`ve tried really hard to forgive him and get on with living our lives happily. Am I being to sensitive? There is so much more going on but I`m running out of words to write. I would appreciate anyone`s opinion to find if I am overreacting. Thank you!

3 Replies 3

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, a warm welcome

I'm a HSP, "highly sensitive person" you can google it. Up to 20% of people come under that. Sensitivity isnt an easy thing to live with for us and our partners/family/friends. I dont know if you are a HSP but you are YOU and if that involves taking short comments to heart then it is part of your DNA so to speak. Such feelings need the tolerance and acceptance of our partners and our ongoing self reflection to develop less sensitive. Eg if your partner had a history of be bullied when young you would expect him to be reactive when bullied the rest of his life so you'd likely make room for that. Making allowance for flaws.

There is a flip side however. You mentioned he said it in a "joking manner". But was it a joke? If it was meant purely as a joke then his intent was not to harm. To me there is lack of clarity, that can easily be remedied but questioning him immediately after the comment rather than dwelling for long periods of time. The comment could subtlety be countered like "Have we been both a misery to each other"? or "you dont really mean that do you"? Such questions can resolve it and save you from hurt. It all sounds hypocritical what I'm saying and it depends on the individuals.

In summary- no you are not overreacting as your feelings are you. Seek clarity by asking questions immediately after the comment in a tone that gives him the benefit of the doubt. If his joke wasnt really a joke keep calm and ask him if he'd join you for a cuppa and ask him why he really thinks you're his "misery", listen intently with his answer. If you feel you have not deserved such a comment then by all means point out the sacrifices you BOTH have made to the marriage but beware of mentioning old issues that cut too deep- talk broadly. Advise him that you get hurt with such comments.

I hope that helps. Reply anytime 

TonyWK

Thank You White Knight for your knowledgeable reply. It has helped me to look into the comment my husband has made and dissect the meaning behind it. In keeping calm and taking the time into remedying the situation I was able to wait for my husband to come to me and he has now since apologised and said it was a stupid comment. I acknowledged his apology and have decided to put it behind me. I appreciate you taking the time to read my concerns and giving me the advice. 

With Sincere Regards,

Chars B

unkown87
Community Member

Plain and simple your husband is being an arrogant disrespectful person. Stand your ground!!! dont let him walk over you!! you deserve better.