FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Alcoholic families

TaylahAnn
Community Member

I’ve read a post recently about a mum battling cancer but her daughter is an alcoholic. 

my mum was battling cancer for the past three years - I’m an alcoholic but I was at her bedside everyday. I couldn’t have done that if I was drinking - so obviously I wasn’t.

I can’t imagine life without her - she’s my best friend.

however, a family holiday is now organised but I’m not invited - because I’m an alcoholic. It hurts so much. I’ve always been there for her but she’s worried I won’t be able to cope watching my family members drink.

I know she loves me but ive never felt so alone. My children will be there as will there dad - my ex husband.

any thoughts on how I could tell her how I’m feeling?

1 Reply 1

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

I'm sure she know the situation. A simple text often is sufficient. "Thinking of you" or "I love you" is enough.

Also feel happy that she has many people surrounding her, it is about her now and if she is happy that is soooo important. Your feelings of inadequacy is understandable but not realistic, the alcohol does twist ones thinking.

My wife has an aunty, she is 30 years sober and was bannished 20 years ago by the family. A few years ago my wifes mother died and before that in the hospital her mother asked if she could notify her sister so she could visit. She did and there was my wife, her aunty and mum all around the hospital bed joking and full of love before she passed. Since then my wife and her aunty have been close and we dont care that the rest of the family still are not talking to her aunty. So I fully understand the hurt of being excluded but rest assured your heart is there and that is very important for your mum.

INNER CARE

Your body might well not be around

But your spirit is the loudest sound

Absence from the party and that crowd

Maybe true but it screams so loud

They not have faith as the drink has scars

And there is left over meat that was yours now charred

But your mum knows your love is there

And her greatest gift is your inner care...

TonyWK