FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Advice for situationship moving away

Darcy636
Community Member

I need some advice for my current situation. I had met a guy on hinge and kicked it off in January 2023 and have been seeing each other until now. Mid January, he said that he is going to move to the Sunshine Coast (I am in Brisbane) in May which is next week. We decided not to date as he still has complicated feelings towards his ex and does not see me as a wife figure, but we like each other so kept seeing each other until now. We did everhtbing together. We have had a few ups and downs but still have feelings for each other. He is now moving to the Sunshine Coast and has to cut things off with me. I do not know how to cope with this as there have been dramas within our friendship group and has made him leaving even harder. I wish he would stay. How do I help myself not feel so hopeless without him.

2 Replies 2

Bob_22
Community Member

Hi Darcy636,

What a tough situation. It sounds like he is set on moving. I'm sure you are going through some stress and heart ache over the situation. If he has decided to call things off it may be best to limit contact with him at least until you are in a better place. This will take time however unfortunately. Now would be a good time to lean on your support networks such as friends or family. It may even be worth seeking something active while you recover such as journaling or pursuing an interest you never had the chance to. I'm sorry I know it is tough. I have tried online dating and know that it can be a bit of a war zone. 

Keep us updated on how you're going. If you need to talk to someone you can always contact the counsellors here at beyond blue by visiting: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/talk-to-a-counsellor 

Bob

Juliet_84
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Darcy636,

I am a little confused as isn’t the Sunshine Coast only an hour or so away from Brisbane? Would you be able to continue dating and see how it goes and if things progress, you could discuss moving etc in the future? I think this is probably a good thing as it will force you both to decide what you actually want rather than stay in this kind of situationship limbo which realistically keeps you from a fulfilling partner who can provide you with what you actually need.