FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Advice about an IVO breach

Samvv
Community Member

The situation: my ex partner was abusive.

My response: I contacted the police who advocated for me in court and an IVO was placed on X for 15 months.

Since then he had tried to message my mother on Facebook.

The message was ignored.

I have a family violence support worker who asks me every week about any breaches on Xs IVO.

I knew closer to the birth, in one month that he would try and the day before my birthday I get a message on my phone from his son who is 25 and lives with him asking how me and the baby are.

Since I never gave his son my number I'm pretty sure X's is using him to get info BUT I also don't want to cut my son's half brother out if I'm wrong. He will need his half brother.

Im being manipulated again or am I? Should I report this to DHS? Or should I give his son a chance to do the right thing?

He is in breach of the IVO if he is attempting to get to me via others.

I ... Am so vulnerable right now I messaged back and just told him I'm fine, the baby is almost due and it's a boy but nothing else. Did I do the wrong thing?

Im so conflicted and feel so alone.

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hi Samvv,
  We are so sorry to hear that your previous relationship was abusive. We understand that coping with everything that you're describing must be overwhelming. We can hear that this is a really tough time for you and you're feeling alone and vulnerable. Please know that you have shown that you are so strong you don't have to do this alone.   We would strongly urge that you contact 1800RESPECT. They offer confidential information, counselling and support 24/7 for people impacted by sexual assault, domestic or family violence and abuse. The lovely supportive counsellors have a lot of experience offering support to people in your situation. You can contact them on 1800 737 732 or https://www.1800respect.org.au/    We hope that you can find some comfort in the forums. Please feel free to keep us updated here on your thread with what you're feeling and experiencing. We're all here for you.

Guest_7403
Community Member
Its not a breach for someone who knows him to ask you ask questions.

Its only a breach if hes passing messages through them or harassing you via them.

Which this is not