FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Adult child dealing with alcoholic parent

BSB
Community Member

I am in my mid 20s, parents have just separated and one suffers from poor mental health and is an alcoholic. They don’t believe they have an issue so won’t accept help. Needing some suggestions or guidance as to how best to manage it?

2 Replies 2

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hello and welcome.

I know that Beyond blue has a number of pages about alcohol abuse, but not sure whether any of that is for the person supporting another. Perhaps the best place to look for help is al-anon which is a group for people such as yourself who are supporting another. Unfortunately you cannot make a another person change their behaviours; except maybe with gentle nudging about the effect it has using "I" based communication - but that can be a long shot or takes a while. 

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi BSB,

I am sorry you are experiencing this. I am also in my 20s and one of my parents also has a similar issue (they are also separated), but they are a functional alcoholic who works FIFO - meaning when they are at work they don't drink but when they get home they drink all day, every day, alone. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to stop them from drinking, you just need to be there for them and support them. You can try to intervene at times but at the end of the day, it is their life and only they can make a change. Just be there. 

I hope things improve and I am sorry,

Jaz xx