FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Abusive relationship rights on our home

Kez77
Community Member

I have been living with my fiancée for 3 years now and he purchased the house about 1 years before I moved in and since we have been living together I have been paying weekly full mortgage repayments and for all things for the house and food.  We thought we would pay double repayements weekly so we could save and get ahead so started with $450 weekly payments and now $600 a week I pay and then pay for things we need around house and food and we are renovating so buying furniture and things also.   My family and myself have done most of the renovations ourselves with no help from any friends or family of his for they aren't around.  I spend every day off and spare hour working on the house and he spends every spare minute inbed as he was a herion addict 30 years ago and the doctor changed medications about a year ago and then put on bipolar tablets and all for he has abusive out bursts and goes from0-1000 in a instant and is verbal and physically abusive.  I have tried all I can to help and support him through all of this and now has taken himself off the bipolar tablets and he forgets things in a instant is like I am talking to 3 different people in the same conversation.  My family has witnessed the changes in him and are we are all trying to help him but he seems to think is no issue or and does but doesn't want to admit to it and then just gets angry when I try and help.  I am to the point that I just don't talk for scared will trigger him.  I need to know where I stand with the house so I can make a plan for myself and my future for have put him first the last 2 years trying to help him through it but seems now he doesn't want to help himself just blames me and my family for everything.  Does anyone know what legal rights I have on the home as I have been family full weekly mortgage repayments and for all else is just the home loan is just in his name but have full records of all payments and documents of all I have done to the house and now the house has tripled in value.  As we decided to renovate this property so we could by our dream acarage and then his medications got changed and alphas been not as suppose to be ever since and I have been scared for my life a couple of times and the police themselves put a restraining order on him one night when we were out for saw him flip out .  I told them I didn't want it but they said is their choose and if anything is for my own protection.  I just want to protect him also and know he needs help .

1 Reply 1

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

Unfortunately we arent a legal service and a family solicitor would be your first point of call there.

I do have some personal knowledge of how the courts work with relationships but all of them are unique so I'd have to be very vague. The court could consider the amount of mortgage you have paid but then they'd consider also the amount of rent you would have paid elsewhere and deduct it. There's also the fact that you willingly did the renovations etc so a figure would need to be reached as to what that was worth.

Being together with someone for only 3 years I dont think you'd have a claim on his home. It could be argued that you are not on the title so legally you are not entitled to it, but remuneration for other things as mentioned you'd have a chance but you'd need to assess through your solicitor if its worth your while considering legal costs. 

And there is his side of the story

I hope that helps a little

TonyWK