FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

A small attempt to be better

_road58
Community Member

Hi I'm 28 and I love with my parents. I am from a south asian background. I wish to leave my parents home and live on my own. But i don't see that happening until i get married or if i do end up moving on my own my parents might disown me. I'm sure this is a story of every kid with strict parents. I only see my gf once a week and even then I have to lie to my parents about where i am. If im home, i spend most of my days in my room. Im reaching out because i think all of it is getting to my head. The stress is spilling over at my friends and gf. I end up saying things i dont mean. I snap at people that did nothing wrong. I've never tried therapy. Talking about how i feel isnt my strenghth. Thats one of the things that upsets my gf as i dont like talking about these things. It makes her think i don't trust her. It upsets her very much. I guess im here so i can be better. For her sake atleast. Can someone help?

1 Reply 1

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

This isnt a problem that I had, I joined the AirForce at 17yo so left home anyway and my parents werent so strict.

If at school do you have a student counsellor you can talk to? Can you attend your doctor by yourself and ask them advice?

I am of the view that any partner GF  I had would get all the information of my life, my concerns and so on, it is beneficial for you to open up to her best you can. 

You could try to ask if its ok to see your GF during the week one evening. Slowly try to get more and more freedom outside the house. Alternatively ask your parents if you can bring her home for dinner of time together but to satisfy your parents remain outside your bedroom. This old fashioned attitude your parents have is unfortunate but it is often brought about by fear- maybe of her getting pregnant or old traditions.

So gently try to ease your way out of the home more often.

TonyWK