FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

150 Facebook friends but feeling alone.

Yelah90
Community Member
So I've about 150 friends on Facebook, I comment and like my friends posts. But I never a comment or a like but.
At the moment my depression has made me feel alone but I can see I'm surrounded by 150 people.
I try and make my Facebook positive but yet no likes and no comments.
I don't even get text messages anymore. With saying that I feel so alone and seeing all of my friends posts
With them out and about made me feel so much more alone, upset.
So I deactivate Facebook about 4 days ago, still nothing..
Which is making me feel like no one cares apart from my parents and 1 friend who makes the time to face time me.
Should I get Facebook back or just keep it close?
3 Replies 3

Tay100
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Yelah90

Thanks for posting on the forums- we are safe and non-judgemental space, but it can still be daunting hitting the Post button, so go you!

Firstly, I'd like to say that you aren't alone in this- many people feel isolated (especially right now, I daresay) whilst they feel they should measure up to what their social media suggest their social life should look like. I've felt like this with FB, Instagram, all of them, myself.

What I might gently suggest is maybe taking some time out from social media in general. Maybe keep FB closed and seek out some quality time with your parents or the friend you mentioned, if it's overwhelming you and bringing up unhelpful thoughts. Ask them what they think you should do regarding FB-lean on them for support and reassurance that online 'engagement' via likes etc is not a measure of how much you are cared about and loved, if you need it. Also, do some self-care that reminds you that self-love is important as love from others who in your real and virtual life.

Adopting a positive outlook will help put you in a better headspace for whichever decision you make. Feel free to keep us posted on what you end up doing if you like. If you'd like some suggestions on how to self-care and how to ask your parents/friend for support, let us know.

Sending kindness and care,

Tay100

Yelah90
Community Member
Hi Tay100's, I kinda feel happier without Facebook but also feel like I'm missing out. I'm pushing for it and keeping my fb deactivate.

Tay100
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Yelah90

Thanks for checking back with us. It's good to hear that you are getting some relief and are feeling happier. What about deactivating FB helped you feel this way, do you think? That might be a nice thing to reflect on, and help you in your decision to keep FB deactivated or not.

At the same time, the fear of missing out is equally valid. What are some healthy ways you can mitigate this feeling? Facetiming your friend could be one. Would you like to brainstorm some strategies together?

Remember also, there is no pressure to keep FB deactivated or to stay on it- trust in your decision-making process.

Keep us posted.

Tay100.