FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Sexual assault

Shorty48
Community Member

Hi,

I’m new here, just saying hello.

I was sexually assaulted at 15 years old and never told anyone just brushed it over like nothing happened. Few years down the track it’s caught up to me and i was recently diagnosed with psychosis. During this time I’ve had a hard time with relationships. I’ve been told to go away a lot by people who were nice one day then the next just horrible to me. I have nobody to talk to and the perpetrator still lives in the same area as me.

Does anyone have any tips on how to cope on such a big thing that’s happened?

3 Replies 3

quokka
Community Member

Hi Shorty48,

Firstly, I am so sorry to hear what happened to you and that some people close to you have not been there for you as you had hoped and so desperately need. It can be so hard when those close to us don't understand or want to help us on our journey. Personally, I denied being sexually assaulted for about a year as I was so ashamed and did not want to accept what had happened. I was finally pushed to confront the reality of the assault as the nightmares became too much and my life was unravelling.
Although I have not experienced psychosis, I am currently dealing with PTSD from the assault. I have found the hardest part is telling people close to me about it, especially as many of them do not understand the mental and emotional challenges that we face every day as a result of sexual assault. But I have found seeing a psychologist and being able to talk about what happened in a safe space the most helpful thing. So I would definitely suggest seeing a psych if you haven't already (although it seems like you might have already as you have had a diagnosis?). I have also recently started journalling and have found it very helpful to just be able to get things out of my head and down on paper!

I know how mentally exhausting it can be dealing with sexual assault. Mostly, know that you are not alone in this journey and that things will get better. It just takes a lot of time and hard work. Let me know if you would like to chat more (I am also relatively new here!) 🙂

Shorty48
Community Member
Hi Quokka,

Yeah, its so hard to find the right support. I denied it for a few years as i didn't think it would affect me the way that it has and the perpetrator would know and come and help me but i was totally wrong. I experience a lot of anxiety and found it very hard to deal with day to day activities. I am finally being able to come out and tell my closet friends to what has happened.

I was lucky enough to find a really good mental health worker that deals with trauma and lots of mental health issues to help me out, we've currently started doing EMDR therapy ( Eye movement desensitisation reprocessing) During this time it's brought up a lot of traumatic memories.

I think i will start journalling to write down all my emotions whilst going through EMDR. It's so exhausting everyday dealing with this sexual assault so i am trying to stay strong.

Thanks, for telling me your story and giving me some really great advice. It would be nice to talk to you as you've had a similar experience like me. 🙂

IreneM
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

HI Shorty

Sorry that you got sexually assaulted like me, I was 13 at that time; and I was never able to brush it off like you and I have always never had anyone to talk to about that or anything until recently. Sorry to hear that the perpetrator still lives in the same area as you.

What I did was move away from the area and the people who were so bad to me. That helped me to move on. But what has helped the most was the professional help from a Psychologist. Glad that you are having some therapy. Keep us posted on how it goes as I had CBT for PTSD - today I am studying how to become a therapist so I am keen to know more on EMDR therapy and it's effectiveness.

The first stage of therapy is quite daunting and confronting as you say, I had to go back to my psychiatrist to get some medicine to help enable me to sleep during that stage. But I pushed through it and it was worth it, and still practice the same therapy every day using the journal, relaxation and try to focus on the reality of the good life now.

To assist through this stage, I encourage you to check out the blue tab above called: "Personal Best" some great resources there which will add to what you do. Look after yourself.

Well done for your efforts so far!

Irene.