FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Severe Anxiety-PTSD (physical symptoms too much)

MM216
Community Member

Hi All,

I've been suffering horrible physical symptoms from anxiety and PTSD. It's been ongoing for almost 5 weeks now. I recently lost a planned pregnancy through ectopic surgery (about nine weeks ago). It has left me with extreme sadness, shock and the whole process was traumatic and caused me severe anxiety from the medical experience. I've always suffered from anxiety, but never experienced this unpleasantness before, except from a previous panic attack I had. my anxiety is mainly health related at this stages. I've seen several GPs, had blood tests done and all have given me the same feedback- it's anxiety. I've started to see a psychologist to help me deal with this.

the daily symptoms include, dizziness and headaches and inability to focus. I've had trembling, shaking, itching and sweating and difficulty swallowing too.

its been a vicious cycle, as soon as I start feeling it, I panic and worry something bad is happening to me which exasperates the symptoms.

it's taking over my life and I just want to get better.

i'm constantly replaying the event in my mind and it gets worst every Wednesday (the day I had the surgery to remove it).

everytime I experience the symptoms, I panic and think something is wrong the doctors have missed something.

i've pretty much recovered 100% physically. I just want to feel like myself again.

breathing exercises are helping, but wondering what other techniques people have used.

anyone experiencing similar symptoms?

Thanks in advance.

Mary

3 Replies 3

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi MM216

Really sorry for the late response to your post.....We try hard not to let any go unanswered.....

Welcome to the forums and good on you for posting too!

You have been through a really bad phase....especially after your surgery. I have had acute anxiety disorder since 1983 which then morphed into depression in 1996. Anxiety disorder is an awful and scary illness to have..

The fear of having another anxiety attack only promotes the adrenaline flow which then results in another anxiety attack.....the vicious circle you were talking about.....the fear cycle...

I know you posted 3 days ago.....and I really hope you are still 'there'. Can I ask if you have had any help with these awful but atypical symptoms/feelings of anxiety?

You mentioned "the daily symptoms include, dizziness and headaches and inability to
focus. I've had trembling, shaking, itching and sweating and difficulty
swallowing too"

As per my life experience with severe anxiety your symptoms (even though scary) are classic acute anxiety attack orientated.

The anxiety can last for a long while......you have had a huge trigger as a result of your surgery.....

I have had identical symptoms for years MM. If you have any questions or just want to have a chat about severe anxiety you are more than welcome

• Acute Anxiety requires weekly visits at a minimum ...
  • Anxiety symptoms do reduce over time but more quickly with super regular therapy

I really am sorry about your post slipping through without an answer MM

I hope you can post back (about anything you wish when you wish)

my kindest thoughts for you

Paulx

MM216
Community Member

Thanks for responding Paul.

I'm doing my best to deal with it, and not fall into the vicious cycle.

ive had a week of feeling well, which was so nice, but the symptoms keep resurfacing mildly. I'm terrified all the stress and anxiety will lead to depression. I'm slowing losing hope and just overall enjoyment of my life.

counselling is helping but hard to apply it when the feeling of being overwhelmed and replaying the event in the mind is pretty much a daily occurrence.

hoping time will eventually heal all wounds.

Wednesday
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hello MM,

Firstly I am so sorry for your loss, it must have been devastating on so many fronts. No wonder Wednesdays (sorry if my title is a reminder for you) are such a traumatic day for you. Five weeks is still early days to manage and cope with this awful event. You've done really well asking for medical assistance and organising a counsellor. Have you told your counsellor how overwhelming you're finding it? Maybe you ned to slow down a little?

Please be very kind to yourself, you need to time to run through all the emotions. You have lost a lot, a future plan the dream of a child, a dream. You may even feel as though you have been betrayed by your body.

Do you have a partner to help each other through this? Do your friend know what has happened?

Anxiety and PTSD sucks! Paul's advice is great. The more you can talk and get this story out of your head the better. It may be that you have to take baby steps for now, but every small step will help. Time will help you wont always felts bad.

Please come back an chat anytime, let us know how you're feeling and/or how you are going.

My warm thoughts are with you.

Ava