FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

PTSD - strange aftermath/ effect on body - anyone relate?

SarahP13
Community Member

I suffered a severe nervous breakdown last year that turned into a psychosis (brought on by stress not drugs)... I was going through something very intense & couldn’t sleep for weeks because psychosis made me feel like I was dying... since then there have been strange & perplexing changes to my body that have not changed back.... one of them is that alcohol no longer affects me at all?? Previously I could have 2 drinks & feel tipsy - now it doesn’t affect me at all... have tried to drink and experiment with different quantities to no avail... it’s very perplexing... not to use as a crutch but to not be able to experience any effects at all is bizarre? Anyone had this happen to them?

3 Replies 3

Veldelmar
Community Member
I had the alcohol thing to some extent when I was in the military and drinking to get through it. I think it's a strange phenominon that can happen. You're still getting intoxicated - as in you would not pass a breath test - but you are hypervigilant offsetting the effects of the alcohol in your mind. if you are having hypervigilance as a side effect of what's happening/happened, you're like microdosing on adrenaline that your body is releasing that offsets the sedetive effects of the alcohol. Still might be drunk as a skunk to a breath test, but you just don't sense it as well because you're getting a stimulant at the same time. Which isn't the safest thing for our bodies to have happen.

Tay100
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Welcome to the forum SarahP13

I can't relate to your experience, but I just wanted to say welcome to our caring, peer-led community, we hope you find the insight you are looking for, as well as general mental health advice from people who have similar lived experience- you have gotten a response already which is great. Feel free to use this thread to keep sharing your mental health journey with us.

Sending kindness,

Tay100

Just Sara
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Sarah and welcome to BB Forum; 😀 (Waves to Veldemar! Thankyou for your service ✌)

As Veldemar's very informative post reveals, adrenaline spikes when we're experiencing fear so the effect is that of a stimulant. Therefore, expected effects from consuming alcohol which is a depressant, will be impaired.

I experienced psychosis as well at the beginning of my breakdown from sleep deprivation. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with your symptoms. Sleep is the most beneficial treatment for anxiety/panic. Asking your GP for something to help you sleep and relax is well worth the effort.

As Tay says, please use this thread as an active part of your recovery; it works! I came here 5 yrs ago with a tormented mind and haven't left. It was the best activity to help me heal and understand who I was, where I'd come from and what I wanted to do with my life.

I wish the same for you. If you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask ok.

Kind thoughts;

Sez