FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

PTSD Signs after serious assault at work

James32
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi all,

i I was wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation and may be able to provide some advice, guidance or insight where I should go from here.

About 3 months ago, I was seriously assaulted at work. I work in juvenile justice and was punched over 20 times to the head and neck area resulting in multiple injuries. I have since returned to work, but not on full operational duties and may not be able to ever return to full operational duties which may see me ultimately leave the department I work for.

having previously worked in policing and ambulance, I have been exposed to multiple terrible and traumatic incident scenes before, but the ones that haunt me most now are from a vicious unprovoked attack back in August.

constant reoccurring dreams and visions, unable to concentrate, unable to sleep or attempt to have a normal sleep pattern, irritable, emotions all over the place and not even been able to get out of bed at times.

i am seeing a psychologist that deals with police and emergency service workers primarily that is great and work is trying to offer as much support as they can but even they are hesitant to return me to full operational duties ever again in case it happenes again or even gets worse.

Where too from here? I love my job and love the support of close family and friends but day by day it doesn't seem to be getting any better or easier.

I am not prepared to go on any anti represent medications period as any thought of that would definitely end any career prospects now or in the future that I do have.

Any advice would be appreciated.

6 Replies 6

SourceShield
Community Member

Hey mate,

A few years back my partner and I were in a bar.

A guy took a disliking to two gay guys being in a 'striaight club'....we were drunk and dancing close to each other, it was obvious that we were lovers.

I was glassed in the face, and knocked out.

Nearly died.

My partner was killed.

I never got to go to his funeral, because his family didnt know that he was gay.

He was a gorgeous Italian guy.

I miss him.

Heaps.

The pain doesn't go away.

But, you learn to make more room for it in your life.

Then it morphs into clarity and wisdom.

You learn to relate to it, rather than from it.

I am deeply saddened that you had to endure such a traumatic experience at your workspace.

I am glad that you have support, and family love too.

Find an outlet to get the stuff out...keep writing, and expressing how it is for you...and that will alleviate much of the emotional hurt as well.

Because, thats what it is now...

Now, you're dealing more-so with the emotional scars.

And, unlike bruises and cuts on the face...emotional pain, sinks in deep.

So, make peace with the healing process for you are on the right path back to recovery.

Remember that relapse is a normal and natural part of the process too.

So, be patient with yourself, and take all the time that you really need to get better.

Healing cannot be rushed.

All the best.

Here for you anytime.

Take good care of you.

MuchLove

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi James,

Thanks for your post and I appreciate you sharing with us your story.

I think that it's really important to remind yourself that what happened was around 3 months ago; it's still very new and raw. I'm sure that you've made incredible progress since the time that it happened and can see that you have a great support team around you including a psychologist and your employer.

I encourage you to share these thoughts that you're having with your psychologist. He/she may have further suggestions, advice or encouragement; or at least remind you of how far you have come since the original incident. Often it can be hard when we see no progress, but often progress is happening so subtly we barely notice it. Trauma is often like that; and the right psychologist will be encouraging you to move forward at a pace that's right for you.

If you feel like you need more or want to work on this more so that you can get back to work, you may want to bring this up with them too. Depending on the therapy that they are using, they may suggest something else or something more intensive that can help. EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation and reprocessing) is one example. Often there are a lot of self-help methods that can be effective and work well alongside therapy such as MBSR (Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction) or mindfulness therapies. Mindfulness is great in that it can be practiced anywhere at anytime.

You also mentioned in your post that any anti-depressant (you said anti represent but I assumed that's what you meant) would end your career prospects now or in the future. Anti-depressants and any medication can take time to adjust, but otherwise there is no reason to think that it would change your career prospects. People don't even have to know and there are many people who are on anti-depressants who have successful careers.

pipsy
Community Member

Hi James32. The job you held was incredibly dangerous to begin with. Being assaulted while 'on the job' unfortunately is an everyday occurrence. I'm not trying to make light of it, believe me. Any sort of assault either at work or any situation is serious and needs attention. The PTSD you now suffer means you possibly cannot look at returning to the job you love. May I inquire whether the person who attacked you was punished at all. There is no 'one cure fits all' for PTSD, what helps one won't necessarily work for another. Have you considered learning a form of martial art, such as self-defense. It could be you are already familiar with self -defense, learning this would give you a sense of freedom that could eventually enable you to look at returning to work. When you were assaulted the feeling of helplessness and being afraid of the attack would have been overpowering. My ex was a prion officer for over 20 years, as part of his initial training he was instructed in self-defense. While he never had to 'fall back' on his training, it was useful that he had the knowledge. I also undertook some training as his job meant I was alone for hours at a time. Knowing self -defense doesn't necessarily mean you will ever use it or that you intend beating someone senseless, but it could help you in overcoming the fear you now have, which I might add is very real.

Lynda

Daisy_
Community Member

Hi,

Sorry you had/have those experiences.

Realistically your work holds risk of violence. But, it's not personal. Unfortunately there are many troubled people in the community and substance influenced people who cause harm to others, like yourself, without thinking of the consequences.

Working doing something else, at least part time, in a different less violent sector could be a positive change of environment for you.

Consider boosting your self-defence methods & skills to use on the job.

Remember to do enjoyable activities and have fun.

Lastly, healing is a process that takes patience.

Gruffudd
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi James,

I used to work in child protection. I got beaten up a few times by children and teenagers. It brings up all sorts of emotions to work through. The vicarious trauma is real as is the trauma of being assaulted even after the busing goes away.

I'm not sure of advice but some things I would like to have figured out sooner are that however I look at it the stories of those families are part of my story now as well. It is a really special thing that so many of those kids got a better life, and mostly with their families because of what I did. The processing takes time, I need to be able to take myself away or let others take the lead sometimes when there is a reminder that takes me back there. Reminders like a particular sound that a mum makes when she has lost hope, when I run into particular kids who are happy to see me but remind me of those challenging days I had with them in hotels when they were not coping and no one could seem to look after them for more then a few days. It is OK to let yourself feel, notice the emotion, but also notice the world around you, it is safe, feel the air, the sun, take a moment for you.

Rob.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hi James, going through what you have had to is a terrible experience, and while you still work there it's going to be constantly on your mind, 20 hits or more is a massive amount of damage caused to you, physically and certainly emotionally, so you are going to be worried that it might happen again, unfortunately it could, I hope not.
I was assaulted at a pub I was managing back in '83, where my head hit the concrete and sustained a blood clot, causing epilepsy and from this it has changed my life also causing PTSD.
I don't feel as though it would be a good idea for you to return, but more so you are entitled to make a claim with workcover, because not only does it matter now but long term it's something that will cause PTSD. Geoff.