FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

PTSD from DV is being newly triggered by angry teenage daughter

DV_survivor
Community Member
My flight or fight response and my PTSD from DV years ago is being re-triggered by my angry teenage daughter. Anyone else experienced this?
2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Dear DV survivor,

We understand how confusing it can become when your daughter, who you love so much, has started triggering your PTSD. We commend you for finding the strength and courage to post about this confusion in our forums.

We understand that Trauma responses often come from things which our emotions perceive as similar to the original event(s) which created the trigger. So, we would like to encourage you to talk to your GP about what is actually happening so you and your GP can set up a mental health plan.

While you are in this process, please feel free to call the helpful counsellors at BeyondBlue on 1300 22 4636, or Lifeline on 13 1114. Both services are free, and are 24-hours per day, every day of the year.

We are excited to see what experiences our wonderful community discusses here to help show that your experiences are not unique.

Warm regards,

Sophie M.

Leisa68
Community Member

Hi DV survivor,

I have a son on the spectrum and when he loses it, it certainly triggers my CPTSD. I feel like running for my life, it takes all my strength to stay. I have found that therapy helps me, I am honest with my therapist (even though I feel terribly guilty about talking about my son) and it helps to get it off my chest. There is no simple answer though, I've been in therapy for years. Maybe your daughter could benefit from therapy to see what she is so angry about as well (if she will do it). My son attends psychology and I have to admit that he is not as angry as he used to be.

I'm not sure if this helps, but you are not alone. I am sorry you have to go through this after all you have been through already. Good luck to you and your daughter.

Leisa68