FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

PTSD Depression and no support from my employer

pippi9699
Community Member

Hi,

This is my first time posting and I’m hoping that someone can give me advice. I was a victim of an aggravated burglary in my own home and as a result I not only suffered physical but also mental injuries. I suffer from severe PTSD, depression and anxiety and my employer is not at all helpful. Prior to the incident I was working in a processing centre but due to mu injuries I requested a transfer to an office closer to home and I was granted a temp transfer. To get the transfer I had to prove to the executive managers that I was suffering a mental health injury first by attending an appointment with 2 IME’s. I ended up having to take a month off work after suffering a breakdown due to what I perceived as bullying from the execs.
The transfer was successful and I found myself working with a lot more supportive staff including the manager but it had its downside as well as there was customer aggression on a weekly basis and I often had triggers from the same type of people I was threaten by in my own home but I was doing well. We had even discussed my staying there on a permanent basis which overall I was happy with. Then a few weeks ago my PTSD and depression spiraled out of control and I had to take another month off work to get myself in a better place.
I then get a call from the manager telling me I would have to return to my previous place of work and that they would not allow me to stay there. An hour later I get a call from the previous office with a big list of demands regarding my days and hours, and what’s required in order to negotiate. I have always been part time but had to reduce my hours down even further because of the PTSD and depression. I also have a chronic medical condition which results in severe fatigue, muscle and bone pain, memory and concentration problems add that in with the others and my life is pretty crappy.
I honestly don’t know if I can continue fighting not only my demons on a regular basis and now my employer any more. I’m physically and mentally exhausted, I was hoping to try and apply for TPI but with my super fund the hoops you have to jump through are enough to put you off and my rehab consultant told me I was not sick enough to even try. Should I stay and make myself sicker or just give up the ghost and throw in the towel and retire ? I really don’t know how to move forward with this !

3 Replies 3

Sophie_M
Hi pippi9699,

Welcome and thank you so much for reaching out tonight. We know that this can take a lot of bravery, particularly when it is for the first time. It sounds like a really stressful situation and we're sorry to hear that you've had such a difficult journey. We hope that you find our community to be both welcoming and supportive!

It sounds like you're in a difficult spot at the moment. Please know that help is always available to you. If you'd like to talk through what you're feeling and experiencing with a health professional, we would recommend that you call our friendly counsellors at the Support Service. Our Support Service is available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 or on Webchat 3pm-12am AEST on our website:www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport. They will give you support and point you in the right direction for help in your area.

Hopefully some of our members have some advice for you from similar experiences of their own. Please feel free to keep reaching out to us here on your thread and keeping us updated on your thought process.

Thanks for your response Sophie_M,

I should have mentioned that I regularly see a psychologist and I also have support from my GP as well, but if things get tough in the mean time between counseling sessions I know there is always help available if I need it.

Reflection
Community Member

Hi,

as someone who has gone through a similar process to the one you mention considering, the whole TPI aspect, it is definitely worth considering the toll it will take on you. this is not trying to dissuade you from taking the steps, just know , to the best of your ability that what you're going to go through will be tough. it sounds like what you've already been through, with the incident in question was tough too. If you sit down and think it worth the trouble, find a good GP and psych and then psychiatrist. The whole thing is a massive game, that a well person could play, but an unwell person, well it's sure a damn challenge. I don't regret mine, except I lost years off my life trying to convince people that should have damn well known, that I was broken.

Have a good think about it, and in the end, if you have the family or friends support it can be done. I would not recommend taking it on if you don't have a decent network around you. mine was a long and arduous battle. If you're at an age demographic where retirement is reasonable, weigh it up, it could take years to solve, it could be quick. Seek legal advice, find a GP, psychologist, psychiatrist - ask all these people their opinions - at the end of the day it is them that will be signing and supporting your claim.

best of luck

Reflection