My Darling Dog Will Be Euthenized Soon
I have a dear dog whom I rescued from a horrible place in May 2020. She is now 9 years old. She is the light and love of my life. Two weeks ago she seemed to be unbalanced and a long story short I have taken her to the vet 4 times since then. She has had numerous tests and ultrasounds and the vet is not giving me any answers.
In the last two days she has been lying in the bathroom which she never does. She has been having tremors and crying in her sleep. Although the vet doesn't know what is wrong they have put her on strong painkillers. When she has these she doesn't show pain but sleeps.
She is not drinking water and is very out of sorts. I feel it is time to put her out of this misery. The vet wants to do an MRI at a cost of $5000.00. I have spent $1600 at the vet in the last 9 days.
I am besides myself as I feel she has had a stroke or has a brain tumour yet the vet keeps stringing me along. At the end of the day I truly believe she is showing all the signs of a poor animal at the end of her life.
I am so torn. I barely sleep, I put her on my bed at night and she is often panting, crying in her sleep or having tremors. I am so upset and anxious and I guess I just want someone to make that decision for me. Which I know is not going to happen.
I rang my local vet and told them what has been going on (they were not aware as I had to take dear doggy to emergency vet throughout all of this). They were very kind and said to me that if I truly feel it is time to take here there anytime and they will look after her....
I am so scared that if I do this it might be too early? Yet deep down I know something very wrong is going on with her....I am falling apart. I love her so much. She had a terrible life until I rescued her. I hate life. It is so terrible and unfair.
I have been crying almost constantly daily. Please someone help. Thankyou.
Hi Panicmerchant,I am so sorry about your beloved dog isn't really well and not getting an answer what is really wrong makes it so hard to know what to do.It can be very expensive taking it to the vet and trying to get answers.I feel your pain and the tough decision you have to make.I had my beloved rescue dog euthenized a few years ago.It had a diagnoses of terminal cancer and she was in a lot of pain.A long discussion with the vet who I went to school with and my mother I made that decision so she wouldn't be in pain anymore.I cried a lot and still do when I think of this decision I had to make.Afterwards I went and got another rescue dog and it was hard at first to except a new dog but I came to love her much as my other one.
It is ok to cry for your beloved dog and make the best decision for your dog how hard it may be.
Don't rush your decision, give her time to bounce back.
Theyre quite resilient fur babies. Aslong as she's not in any pain.
Put some water in her food bowl to help keep the fluids up, give her fatty snacks to keep the calories up.
Give her time aslong as she's not in pain give her every opportunity to come back.
Thankyou for your reply. I am so sorry you too know how awful it is. Dogs are my one passion in life. I am not good at anyone or anything else!
I am feeling guilt over either decision . If I do 'it' is it too soon? If I don't; is she suffering more?? How I wish someone would tell me!!! To add to all of this my total disillusionment with pretty much everyone and everything has blown out of scale. I feel very unsafe. To go to the vet so many times and not get any answers....it is quite terrifying to me. It triggers my PTSD and anxiety. I really believe that we cannot put any faith in vets or doctors for that matter (I have suffered major health anxiety over the last few years..this brings all of that horror back into focus as well).
Then when I truly think sweet doggy is at her end she rallies...like she is doing now. She has just had some sardines and a drink of water; wandering around wagging her tail... it is truly devastating and heartbreaking because I know within an hour or so she will fall to pieces again.
Thanks so much for your support.
I understand about doctor's not getting answers for my own health and both my parents who are no longer with me.Its good your dog has rallied a bit and have some enjoyment from that.Their moments you need to really enjoy and treasure.It does make it hard when you know she will be suffering again.It is such a heart breaking decision you have to make.You have to weigh up in your heart what will the kindest thing to do for your best friend.Its never an easy decision and I real feel the emotional pain you are going through.
Tragedies aside...it is so heartwarming to 'talk' to someone who loves them as much as I. I guess I will just keep her safe, warm and loved....I just hope I will know when the right time is. As she is up and down...it is crucifying. Big hugs to you and your sweet rescue dog. xxxx
Many thanks to you all for your kind words and support.
Darling girl has perked up again!!! It is very good to see however very draining! So at this point she is still here and happy! So glad...I love her so. I am praying for a miracle . Perhaps she can overcome whatever this is?