FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My Darling Dog Will Be Euthenized Soon

Guest_1573
Community Member

I have a dear dog whom I rescued from a horrible place in May 2020. She is now 9 years old. She is the light and love of my life. Two weeks ago she seemed to be unbalanced and a long story short I have taken her to the vet 4 times since then. She has had numerous tests and ultrasounds and the vet is not giving me any answers.

In the last two days she has been lying in the bathroom which she never does. She has been having tremors and crying in her sleep. Although the vet doesn't know what is wrong they have put her on strong painkillers. When she has these she doesn't show pain but sleeps.

She is not drinking water and is very out of sorts. I feel it is time to put her out of this misery. The vet wants to do an MRI at a cost of $5000.00. I have spent $1600 at the vet in the last 9 days.

I am besides myself as I feel she has had a stroke or has a brain tumour yet the vet keeps stringing me along. At the end of the day I truly believe she is showing all the signs of a poor animal at the end of her life.

I am so torn. I barely sleep, I put her on my bed at night and she is often panting, crying in her sleep or having tremors. I am so upset and anxious and I guess I just want someone to make that decision for me. Which I know is not going to happen.

I rang my local vet and told them what has been going on (they were not aware as I had to take dear doggy to emergency vet throughout all of this). They were very kind and said to me that if I truly feel it is time to take here there anytime and they will look after her....

I am so scared that if I do this it might be too early? Yet deep down I know something very wrong is going on with her....I am falling apart. I love her so much. She had a terrible life until I rescued her. I hate life. It is so terrible and unfair.

I have been crying almost constantly daily. Please someone help. Thankyou.

141 Replies 141

You are very kind; thankyou! I will definitely have a look. I would love to hear about darling Mekitty and others xxx Yes my darling was hilarious in many ways. She truly was an angel in a fur coat.

Thanks so much for your support xxx

Guest_1573
Community Member

I couldn't sleep (again) and decided to delete my reviews on the vet's websites. Not that I forgive them. More that I realise it is not doing me any good and won't change anything.

Needless to say today I received a sympathy card from one of the clinics....Murphy's Law!

I am still totally aghast at the bulls... 'treatment' of my beloved but there is no point in going on about it. It won't bring her back.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I am sorry you had a sleepless night but that is to be expected.Their is so much you are going through from the pain of losing your beloved dog to the anger of the treatment of her.I don't blame you for leaving a negative review and then deleting it.I have trouble leaving reviews and to leaving a negative one can play on your mind even being deservedly.Just give yourself time and remember the great times you had with her.Their is probably no point in dwelling on the negative things as this only can only impact negatively bon you and can't bring her back.

Take care,

Mark.

Guest_1573
Community Member

I am totally at a loss. My darling dog was my life. She was constantly there. I took her out two to three times a day. She sat next to me on the couch when I was home. Slept at the foot of my bed at night. Was there the second I came home from anywhere. My life was her. Looking after her; brushing her sweet fur; feeding her; taking her out; washing her; singing to her; hugging her.

I have no idea what to do with myself. I miss her every second of every day. I am seeing her and finding little reminders of her everywhere. I do not understand why a lot of people in my life do not get it. That losing her was losing my child. I have a lot of support from here and the people I used to see everyday at the shops etc.

My darling will be returned to me tomorrow. I will be taking my friend's darling dogs to the beach on Tuesday to scatter her ashes in the creek she loved so much. I am just so glad I have my doggy friends who understand; and that I have my 'stepdoggies' :). They are my saviour.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
I know how hard it is for you and how much you are missing your beloved dog.They are more then just an animal,they are part of your family and the love of your life.They show unconditional love to you and are they are their constantly in your life greeting you when you come home,snuggling up to you at night.It is going to be a huge lost to you and you are going to feel so lost without her.It is ok to cry and miss her.I still cry for my dog when I think of her.They are beautiful amazing company that leaves a whole in your life when they are gone.Its all perfectly normal what you are feeling.You can feel angry at the vets for not properly diagnosing her,you have every right to.Just let it out.Let yourself grieve and remember the beautiful dog you had.You have that right even if others don't understand,your feelings are perfectly normal.

Guest_1573
Community Member

😞 She was the best. I rescued her and she was so grateful... I loved her so ...love her so. Why do people make such a drama when a human dies? Most humans are sh.. anyway? My darling soul who never hurt anyone; who indeed was hurt by sh humans was the most loving soul? Yet humans are supposedly the superior race? And I am supposed to 'show restraint' and not cry about her?

I will keep the lesson she has taught me. And I absolutely know I will see her again.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
You have every right to cry and mourn your beloved dog.You are a real special person and rescueing a dog like you did shows me what a caring person you are.I did the same thing and never regretted saving a dog and giving them the best life like you have.Maby one day you can again.I am sorry how your family are treating you over it,you don't deserve that.You can hold your head high and you are wonderful person and it doesn't matter what your family thinks.

😞 Thankyou so much

I am feeling like I am dying from the pain. And it was made so much worse by the sh...vets not diagnosing her or taking my concerns seriously. I have in fact reviewed them again and I will not delete this time. People need to know that these supposed professionals only care about $.

I do not know what I will do. I am so furious, at the vets, at the shit my beloved went thru...before she came to me

I will be going to the beach next week when darling's ashes arrive tomorrow 😞 to scatter some in her favourite pool...it will be totally heartbreaking but my heart is broken already so I will be alright I guess.

Thanks so much for caring. How I wish I could meet you in person. xxxx

I'm so sorry your family show no compassion or sympathy. Truth is, some people are incapable, & sadly, some are unwilling.

Rescuing your dog as you did, you obviously care deeply for the way animals are treated. That was a wonderful thing you did.

I think you've learned a lot more from your dog, who showed you unconditional love & acceptance. I think it's great that you have your 'stepdoggies' in your life, & you are willing to be giving of your time & care to them.

What are you doing with all the little reminders around your home?

At first, it was hard to have reminders of Mekitty around the place, but equally hard to move things even to my small storage room, (because I could not give things away then), but now I am glad I kept some things. Some things did have to go, but not all at once. I simply have a limited storage room.

It was difficult constantly thinking about her, that 'now she would be in the window sill', or missing her presence on my bed, her meowing, purring, & other odd sounds, even her attacking my toes. I miss how she woke me up in the morning. All of it, well, not so much the effort to put the worming drop on her neck each month. We both disliked the stuff!

I'm sure I will be thinking of you, Tuesday, & at some point, I will think of a creek, with some bushes & trees, & gentle water flowing, & I'll have an idea of you & stepdoggies, saying farewell. & I can already feel I'm going to cry.

My warmest (virtual) hug,

mmMekitty

I am crying over your darling Kitty 😞 What a beautiful soul...the toe comment did make me laugh/cry! 😞 I am so grateful to you. You are honestly the only person who has given me support. Who knows how excruciating it is. 

My darling girl was such fun! She was a total sook and a very talkative kid! Every morning I had to have a quick shower then take her out...she very quickly learned that she could trust me and wrap me around her paw! I'd be having shower and she would sit on the mat and complain until I took her out! The first time she went to the beach was adorable...I do not think she had ever been 😞 she absolutely loved it there and always headed to the creek inlet and did her hilarious hippo wallow....everyone down there loved her and I hope I will see them on Tuesday when I take her darling ashes back to scatter :((

I am very fond of you and send you a massive hug. You are gold. xxxx