FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I was robbed whilst I was home

Candicej
Community Member
Last week I was woken up at 5.40am to a loud what I thought was knocking on the door, I got up and checked the door and nobody was there, I got my dog and returned to bed, my dog soon jumped from my bed and ran into the yard barking, I got up and looked outside, I couldn't see anything so again I got her and took her back to bed. Not even 5 minutes later my dog was on the end of my bed growling and peeking through my open bedroom door, I got up and stood at my doorway, that's when I saw a man in my living room. I started to scream and called out for my brother who quickly got up and chased the man out of the house and out of the yard. Unfortunately for weeks I had been hearing things in the yard and I'd just put it down to anxiety as my partner was in America. I am now having severe panic attacks especially at night, I lay awake and can hear every single noise, I got new locks for the doors, and am now OCD with them being locked and triple checking them. I'm to afraid of getting up in the dark, or even getting up early for work. I know time will heal and it will get easier, but the fear of them coming back is horrible and everytime I go to the bedroom door I still have the image of him just standing there.
2 Replies 2

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Candicej,

Gosh, welcome. Thank you for joining us and posting to our forums.

I am so sorry that this has happened to you. I can't imagine how frightening it must be to have someone in your home and I can see how fearful it must have been. I am so pleased though that you've decided to join us and talk to us about what's going on early while this is still raw and processing.

Often when things like these happen it can be hard because our brains are processing in and we learn to live in this heightened state of anxiety and fear for sometimes a long time. The fact that you are talking to us now takes a huge amount of courage and I'm glad you reached out.

I think that it would be really helpful for you to see a counsellor as these are really the best people to help you manage your fears and work through the anxiety. Is this something that you've considered or are open to?

Feel free to post again if you like.

pipsy
Community Member

Hi Candace. OMG, that would've been terrifying. Was anything taken, did you call the police? There are things you can do which will help with the fear you now have. Each night, leave a low wattage nightlight burning. Leave your radio on, low. I'm glad you have a dog, her growling possibly scared the man away, then seeing you finished his bravado. A therapist would help, as talking about these things often means you realize you are not alone with this. When is your partner due home? Another thing you could consider is learning self defense. Years ago my ex was a prison officer, like you I was nervous about his shifts, o/night, o/time etc. I decided self defense might come in handy. You may never need it, but knowing how to defend yourself would give you a sense of power, which this has temporarily removed.

Lynda