FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hello

EventuallyMe
Community Member

My life has been a roller-coaster of unfortunate circumstances. I'll focus on the last few months for today. I finally got the courage to leave my ex after over a decade of abuse both mentally and physically. I tried to talking to people about it previously but was brushed off as he came off Nice or quiet in front of others how can someone like that be doing the things I'm saying. He has made it hard every step of the way to leave him. I tried leaving him in the past the first couple times I didn't because he said he would kill himself and then that change to you wouldn't leave me, I'm all you have. Noone loves you ect. Is there any services I could contact?

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hi EventuallyMe,

Thank you for posting here today, and welcome to the forum. We hope you'll find the support, advice and referrals that you're looking for.

We're so sorry to hear that you've had to experience this.

Please don't hesitate to go and visit your local police station to talk about any threats you have received, and/or to call emergency services (000 - triple zero), if you are ever at risk. It might be helpful to download a safety app as well so that you can contact emergency services quickly if you need to.

To find out more about what you need to do, how you can go about leaving safely, staying safe, and/or to get some emotional support and other referrals, please contact our friends at 1800 Respect on 1800 737 732, or via their online chat option available on their website here.

We're also here for you anytime. You can call us on 1300 22 4636, or via our online chat service option available on our website here.

Abusive, co-ercive control and/or threatening to take your life, theirs, or anyone else's is never ok, and this should be treated very seriously.

Please take care, and we hope to hear from you soon,

Kind regards,

Sophie M

Bob_22
Community Member

Hi EventuallyMe,

Welcome to the forums and thankyou for sharing your experience. I'm sorry that you have been struggling with your recent separation and I hope you can find some useful support/advice here on the forums. I don't have much personal experience with partner abuse/violence but am aware that it can be devastating both short and long term. I hope during this time you are able to reach out to any available supports including your GP and/or a psychologist or social worker. 

Regarding services to contact, there are some useful resources for both intimate partner abuse as well as trauma. 1800respect.org.au has some great resources regarding violence and abuse and offers 24 hour web chat and phone counselling. https://blueknot.org.au/ also offers some great information regarding trauma and abuse and also offers a support service from 9am - 5pm, Monday to Sunday.  

May I ask, if you are ever in crisis to please consider contacting one of the following services - all of which are 24/7 and provide online and telephone support.

Beyond Blue 

Suicide Call Back Service  

Lifeline

Please update us on how you're travelling EventuallyMe. You have made a great step in coming to these forums and I hope you can continue to keep moving forward. Please know that you are not alone and that there is support available. 💙