FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Family Issues (Emotional Abuse, Sexual Harassment) Reaching Breaking Point

MiaL
Community Member

Hi. This is my first post but I need to get this off my chest. I am a university student. I am set to graduate mid next year. I can not afford to move out until then. (I do have a job but it is only part-time). Lets get started.

- 3 years ago my step father made several sexual advances and comments towards me. He also purchased various sexual items and inappropriately asked me to use them and tell him how I used them, etc. I only told my mother about this three days ago. It elicited a mixed response, with her mostly being upset I didn't tell her earlier. I felt helpless, I could not tell anyone because I knew he would hurt me. Today, he told me to 'stop being the victim' and get over it.
- My step father has (mostly) emotionally and (on a few occasions) physically abused my mother for as long as I can remember. (He moved in with us when I was 4). He yells at her in public, at home, and uses obscenities every time, absolutely deteriorating her self-worth and mental health beyond what little there was left from her troubled childhood. He controls her finances and she has no friends.
- My mother growing up was extremely protective of me as I was born 22 weeks premature and to a schizophrenic father, so naturally she was very cautious about what I was doing/what was happening to me. This resulted in me feeling extremely alone and helpless because of her constant problem-picking, often telling me I was the reason for the issues in their relationship (my step father has said this as well). I have been staying at my boyfriends place for the past week to just get away from it all. I have since spoken to both of them, whom of which they have apologized, yet told me that I am the reason for a lot of this happening. Confronting me alone, my step father told me to get over it all and told me to think about what I've done in ruining their relationship.

I have the option of moving in with my boyfriend and his family. They are aware of what has happened and do not want me living in such a toxic environment that certainly affects my own lack of self-worth, depression and severe anxiety. Frankly, I can't take it anymore.

What should I do?

5 Replies 5

monkey_magic
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi MiaL,

Wow wat a disgusting human being your stepfather is, I was appauled at reading that. It sounds like control to me and both your mother and yourself are the victims of domestic violence here. If I were you I would leave in a heartbeat. I'd be scared if that happened to me but I'd also want the police to intervene. How dare they say it was your fault shifting their blame onto you. Yep,go somewhere healthy where you are loved and respected.

Sorry that you have been through this and I'm so happy you have spoken up..it means you are taking your power back away from those wanting to steal it and make you feel less than what you are worth. You are worthy! Congrats with your studies as well..

Juliet_84
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi MiaL,

I’m with monkey magic on this one, get out as fast as you can! Your step father sounds like an absolute creep and I’m concerned that his behavior may escalate. I understand that you love your mum and it must be hard to leave her in that environment, but that being said, she is a grown woman and seems to have made her decision. It also sounds as though she has chosen her ‘side’ and can’t see sense yet. You will still be able to visit her often, but I think it will be nice to have some distance from him. How long have you been with your boyfriend for? I just want to make sure that you don’t find yourself in a vulnerable position if you guys are fairly new and don’t work out etc, staying in a bad situation because you don’t want to go back home.

MiaL
Community Member
We’ve been together for three and a half years now.

Juliet_84
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi MiaL,

I’m glad your relationship has afforded you some added security. What are your thoughts on this? What is making you hesitate or confused? I only ask because sometimes we can be told what to do, but we often make decisions based on emotion rather than our head. What is keeping you there currently?

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello MiaL, a warm welcome to you.

I have to agree with the others, it's not good at all to stay in this toxic household controlled by your stepfather, move out, and your mum has to consider her future, and perhaps you are staying because of the worry for your mum.

Please look after yourself.

Geoff.