FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Dealing with PTSD at night time

quokka
Community Member

Hi all,

I’m relatively new here and this is my first time making my own thread! I was wondering if anyone has any tips on dealing with PTSD specifically at night time when trying to fall asleep?

For some background info, I was sexually assaulted almost 2 years ago, at 18, by a stranger while travelling solo and I denied it for a long time because I felt so shameful and most of all I did not want to accept it had happened. I started dealing with it a couple months ago as I was having really bad panic attacks and nightmares which were significantly interrupting my daily life, so I started going to a psychologist again. This is on top of already having depression and anxiety which I have had for almost six years.

My main difficulty recently has been dealing with PTSD at night time. Even if I have had a relatively good day without any triggers, I still seem to go to bed at night and everything comes rushing back in. I can’t help but think about all the bad memories and shameful feelings about myself and I just end up feeling so anxious and depressed that I can’t sleep. I am also hesitant to fall asleep as I worry about having nightmares about the assault. I would really appreciate if anyone has any advice to deal with this?

5 Replies 5

sister_moon
Community Member

Hi Quokka,

Welcome to the forum.

Ahhh Night times! I am sorry to hear you are experiencing this.

They can be so hard with PTSD and anxiety. One thing I sometimes do when I can't seen to calm my thoughts myself is call a help line. Beyond blue has one as well as life line and also 1800respect are really good for the sexual assult related PTSD they might also have some good tips or resources to deal with night times.

Something I do to try to fall asleep is I listen to audio books on my phone. I have a free app that is linked to my local library and I can listen to them on my phone. I also sometimes listen to guided relaxations or something but it depends on my mood and how panicked I am. I have the volume down rather low when listening to the books so that I have to use a bit of extra concentration to hear and follow. II try to focus as much of my mind as I can on each word. On the app I have I can set it so it turns off after an hour so then if I fall asleep it's not running all night. I often need to listen to something to fall asleep.

Nightmares are tricky. I heard somewhere once that if you have a nightmare it is good to get up and leave the room and do something else for a little while. This can help signal to our brain that the "danger" it thought that we are in has passed and signals to our body to stop creating stress hormones more quickly than if we stay put.

Best of luck, I hope you get some peaceful sleep.

I am pleased to hear that you have a psychologist helping you out.

This forum is lovely and supportive also

Sister moon

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Quokka~

You have my sympathy, mine came about for a different reason but still occur, though as time has gone on they have become less frequent by far, and more manageable.

Dealing with them, well I've tried several things with mixed success.

There is a specific medication that can help, I'd suggest you ask your doctor about that.

Ensure yourbreathing is easy, you are not struggling to breath or have a breathing related disorder or have your movements restricted by tangles blankets.. I has a nose job 🙂 A couple of years later I think it helped.

Try to wake up and talk if you have a partner nearby. About anything.

Try the Image Rehearsal practice, as you wake up change the end of the dream, then re imagine it wih a good ending. I'd discuss this with your doctor first.

Have a soothing track to play, sea shore waves is good. You may need earbuds if you don't want to wake others.

I annoy the cat, who quickly extends claws and sizes up charging me teeth flashing. Concentrates the mind wonderful, one does tend to get scrathed though.

I'm sure others will have ideas too

Croix

Guest_922
Community Member
My psych gave me a script to remember. I would say it until I felt safe. I also found that limiting tv/screen time and reading a book, drawing, colouring before bed was helpful in making my eyes tired. The 4 7 8 breathing technique would also help. I too would play music but be mindful that your selection is soothing and not evoking emotions. My doctor also prescribed me medication which does help.

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Quokka

You are an amazing individual for being so proactive with your health after the pain and anguish you have been through. Sister Moon....Croix and Guest_922 have provided sound support as per their many years of personal experience above

My life fell apart in the 1990's after applying to the family court to see my 3 year old daughter every 2nd weekend. I remember the cold sweats and bad dreams like it was yesterday

Just for me....I had no choice except to accept weekly and then fortnightly therapy for over 12 months so I could find some peace of mind.....and still see my GP every 4 weeks for a 'fine tune'

Combined with the frequent counseling I also started a small dose of medication that helped me help myself

Thankyou so much for being a part of the forum family Quokka. I hope that you are finding some peace in your sleep. The forums are a safe and non judgemental place for you to post

my kind thoughts for you

Paul

Thanks for all your support and great tips - it's nice to know that I am not alone in this!

I noticed last night when I was in bed that my whole body was very tense and I was breathing quite quickly, so I think tonight I will do some breathing exercises and listen to some calming music or maybe a guided mindfulness meditation. Sister Moon, that info about nightmares and the brain producing stress hormones if you stay put vs. get up is so interesting, thanks for sharing. I will definitely try to put that into practice next time!

I think I will also discuss the image rehearsal technique (as Croix mentioned) with my psych when I see her next as that might be useful. Thanks for all being so willing to share part of your story and advice with me!